Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi we are off to France in a couple of weeks traveling to the Loire valley and then down to the dordogne. Our vet has recommended that we should purchase a collar to protect our dog from sand flies for anywhere in France, Is this something anyone uses and would you definitely recommend. First time of taking our dog out of the UK so want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Thanks Jo

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i prefer to use the spot on for fleas ticks sand flies and mange

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Some doggies can have an allergic reaction to the Scalibor collar - we aways used to use Advantix spot on which guards against ticks, fleas and sand flies. I believe there is also a vaccination available now which guards against sand flies/Leishmaniasis, although it is a course of injections and it may be too late for you to arrange this.
http://www.animal-doctors.net/page9.htm

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi we are off to France in a couple of weeks traveling to the Loire valley and then down to the dordogne. Our vet has recommended that we should purchase a collar to protect our dog from sand flies for anywhere in France, Is this something anyone uses and would you definitely recommend. First time of taking our dog out of the UK so want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Thanks Jo
As mentioned, the Scalibor collar or Advantix. These protect against ticks as well as sand flies and ticks are a major problem now because of the diseases they carry. Sand flies are mostly nocturnal so less likely to be encountered but the same measures work for both.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for an informative thread. I was completely unaware of sandflies

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Had Cassie vaccinated against Leish. Cost Ā£150, but it was a 3 week course. I did lose one of my dogs to leish in Spain a few years ago, but there was no vaccination then. She will need a booster yearly.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use advantix as recommended by our vet.
They have Advocate first week of the month and Advantix two weeks later. Not cheap with two dogs though.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Our doggy lives further down in the Limousin and sand flies are never a problem, however if we choose to overwinter in Spain they can be a minor problem. Now ticks can be a problem and we/ you need to run your hands over the pouche daily and remove as necessary

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We use advantix as recommended by our vet.
They have Advocate first week of the month and Advantix two weeks later. Not cheap with two dogs though.
You don't know who to believe! We used to do the same but our vet said giving both Advantix and Advocate was not good practice so we switched to Scalibar collars for ticks and fleas.

Malcolm

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
My vet recommended the advantix and advocate treatment, was expensive next time I would get prescription and buy from online pharmacy. Seems to be working so far on our 4 month trip.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours is on advocate monthly and we use a scalibor collar when we go south. Told the vet we were going to do this and he didnt odds it. Wouldn't buy the collar from the vets though. In fact we have a stash in the van that we bought in france. Always start the collar a week ish before we travel.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Just a wee point that some people might not know about, but sometimes your local pharmacy can supply spot-on & other products to protect your dogs/cats & its usually cheaper than the shops or vets, in fact especially vets, they really know how to charge. ::bigsmile:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Had Cassie vaccinated against Leish. Cost Ā£150, but it was a 3 week course. I did lose one of my dogs to leish in Spain a few years ago, but there was no vaccination then. She will need a booster yearly.

Same here (y)

Our vet recommended the Scalibor collar apparently these also act as a repellent.
The vaination is a 3 week course.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
do you need any of this stuff for France, Germany!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back