• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

Two 110ah Leisure Batteries 10 months old (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sellling our current batteries as we are upgrading the whole solar/battery system to AGM.

2 x 12v Banner 110ah Energy Bull Ultra Deep Cycle Leisure Battery (95751) which cost £210 new, for sale at £100. Purchased in August 2015.

These can be collected next week from near Kings Lynn and after that from Market Harborough in Leicestershire. Or possibly arrange to drop off between the two. We will also be going up to Telford in the next few weeks.

Cheers
SANDRA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sellling our current batteries as we are upgrading the whole solar/battery system to AGM.
N....ooooo don't do it AGM's are a disaster in Motorhomes, mine died after 18 months and nither Banner or Hymer would honor the warranty. I replaced them with Gel's the difference in performance was immediately noticeable.
Just search the German forums loads of reports of them failing in 1st & 2nd year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
N....ooooo don't do it AGM's are a disaster in Motorhomes, mine died after 18 months and nither Banner or Hymer would honor the warranty. I replaced them with Gel's the difference in performance was immediately noticeable.
Just search the German forums loads of reports of them failing in 1st & 2nd year.
Too late Lenny, we have have already bought them, 2 x 200 ah AGM 13 year life ultra deep cycling. Why would they not last do you think?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've seen other reports that Banner batteries are no good for motorhomes but the fact is Banner produce many different types of leisure batteries and starter batteries too. If you look at the NCC verified list of leisure batteries I have put in the resources section you will see that independent testing has verified that Banner has leisure batteries classed as A & B and starter batteries as Class C. I guess it's all about selecting the correct battery within the range produced by battery manufacturers.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

2 x 12v Banner 110ah Energy Bull Ultra Deep Cycle Leisure Battery (95751) which cost £210 new, for sale at £100. Purchased in August 2015.

These can be collected next week from near Kings Lynn and after that from Market Harborough in Leicestershire. Or possibly arrange to drop off between the two. We will also be going up to Telford in the next few weeks.

Cheers
SANDRA

Hi Sandra
Can you tell me what the configuration is of the terminals and the length width and height of the battery body?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There's quote a lot online about the failure of agm batteries as the older electro boxes can't cope properly with their charging cycle, hymers included.
Hence I replaced with gel batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've seen other reports that Banner batteries are no good for motorhomes but the fact is Banner produce many different types of leisure batteries and starter batteries too. If you look at the NCC verified list of leisure batteries I have put in the resources section you will see that independent testing has verified that Banner has leisure batteries classed as A & B and starter batteries as Class C. I guess it's all about selecting the correct battery within the range produced by battery manufacturers.
I wouldn't trust anything the NCC publish a trade organisation for the benefit of it's members funded by manufacturers and dealers.
If Hymer, Schaudt & Banner can't get it right what hope is there, as I said just look at the German forums. Banner sell a battery as a leisure battery and when you make a warranty claim they will only honor it if the battery fails a starter battery test, disgusting behavior.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There's quote a lot online about the failure of agm batteries as the older electro boxes can't cope properly with their charging cycle, hymers included.
Hence I replaced with gel batteries.
Yes and they sold them like that for over 4 years despite batteries failing all over the place. When I took delivery of my van I contacted both Banner & Schaudt and both said use the Gel setting and they be fine all I can say is lying bar*teds.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't trust anything the NCC publish a trade organisation for the benefit of it's members funded by manufacturers and dealers.
If Hymer, Schaudt & Banner can't get it right what hope is there, as I said just look at the German forums. Banner sell a battery as a leisure battery and when you make a warranty claim they will only honor it if the battery fails a starter battery test, disgusting behavior.

I don't buy that ! It would not make sense to independently test a battery and make it out to under or over perform. In the NCC list they have some big names that have been classed at B and or C. If these results were wrong the manufacturer would be taking action against the NCC.

Banner sell AGM leisure batteries, Lead Acid batteries and starter batteries. If someone fitted a starter battery as a leisure battery then they would no doubt complain it did not do the job after it fails. Same situation applies to their Class B Leisure battery, if they were off hook up for long periods and were using lots of power for their habitation services, then the battery would fail again.
If you look at the list (to date) there are not that many leisure batteries that have satisfied the requirement for a higher storage capacity for people who frequently use their touring caravan or motorhome away from an electrical hook-up and those that have cost almost twice as much as the others.
This scheme can only improve the marketplace for users such as ourselves as their are far too many cowboys out there selling crap leisure batteries and making them out to be something they are not.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Sandra. What is the make and spec of the new batts?

I have 2 x 120ah Leoch AGMs and have had no probs.
Rarely hook up (once since oct last year and as you know, we are in it full time) so they are charged with Votronic solar reg set to AGM so get 14.8v into them, then float of 13.5v.
After dark and watching a 2 hr film on laptop with external speaker (5a/hr) they still show 12.8/9v.

Can take a good load and then recover well. One is 3 yr old and the other about 3 1/2 (fitted by prev owner)

Enjoy the benefits of AGM!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Dazzlin. Colin asked me to contact you regarding your controller but you have answered my question before I asked it, such a clever person!

Our new batts are Nokia 12v 200ha, long life alloy, 13 year life, can be mounted any way (flat or upright).

His thinking is that he will bypass the electro block while we do our long term stint in England (3 mounths) on hook up and will use a Ring intelligent 16 amp charger with AGM option - do you think it is necessary to do this?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Please be sure to tell Lynne!

Yes. I think it is necessary to hook up in uk!

Regards ring charger...if the batts are not getting FULL charge for 3 months and the ring has an AGM setting.....14.7/8 - go for it.
Thanks my dear! I think I have just about got my head around all this. Where did you get your Votronic charger from? C can only find them in Germany or Zew Zealand.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have you brought a new charger as well? If you charge them with the standard Elektroblock they won't last long.
Thanks for your input Lenny, please don't think we are dismissing what you say. It has been valuable advice as it has made us think things through about how to look after the new batteries when on hook up. Nine months of the year the solar charger should take care of them, the rest of the time the Ring charger should do the job.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for your input Lenny, please don't think we are dismissing what you say. It has been valuable advice as it has made us think things through about how to look after the new batteries when on hook up. Nine months of the year the solar charger should take care of them, the rest of the time the Ring charger should do the job.
I take it the solar and ring charger have AGM setting, also bear in mind different manufacturers AGM batteries have different charging regimes.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I take it the solar and ring charger have AGM setting, also bear in mind different manufacturers AGM batteries have different charging regimes.
The solar charger will have an AGM setting as we have ordered a new one and the Ring charger we already have does too.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Cheers
SANDRA

These are still for sale - make me a sensible offer?
They are located in Market Harborough, Leicestershire, or can take to the Saltfleet Gala. We are also going up to Telford shortly if that's any help.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
One sold and one still for sale. Make me an offer.

I can take the battery to Saltfleet Gala or possibly arrange for a friend to take it to Malvern.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have to say we have had banner AGM in our Exsis since new last June and they are running through a regulator made by Buttner Elektronik and on through the Schaudt EBL 29 with no problems have had van of grid and batteries are showing 13 amps continually

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back