Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My laptop was becoming unstable, cleaned and pruned and finally gave in to turning updates on. They were turned of because last time microsoft checked my software they turned the computer off, although it was eventually sorted and unlocked I was not prepared to go through the same problems again.
So I turned on update and downloaded and installed 32 updates including internet explorer 8. That was when the fun started black bars across the top hiding a lot of function keys, presumably because I failed to verify again.
Any answers out there how do I get full function back.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
What Operating System and Laptop are you running Roger?

You say Cleaned and pruned but if it was becoming unstable I would have backed up the user data and emails and reinstalled from scratch.

I have spent many hours trying to fix problems only to realise that it would have been much quicker to reinstall and restore the data.

You are never quite sure whether you've found all the problems....

It also gets rid of all of the residual crap in the registry left by abortive installations and failed uninstalls.

BTW a great piece of software I found that saved me a lot of time rebuilding Customer pcs and laptops was Drivermax.

They were offering a free key to enable full functionality.

Export all the drivers to a memory stick and you're sorted....Shhhhh Don't tell anyone...:RollEyes:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
"S" series lifebook and XP
am in chat
I regularly clean out old odds and sods, run ccleaner, clear cookies documents etc trouble is to reinstall all the bits and bobs takes me over a week. I am loathe to do it. and even then the minute I do the same problem will arrive when updating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I've never had a problem with updates.Just don't let a Microsoft driver overwrite a Manufacturer's driver.Especially Network (INC Wireless), Video/graphics and AUDIO.....

As soon as you see a problem.Look at the event logs and save them and then roll back on system restore.You probably know this anyway but that's the way I tend to work.

I am currently looking at running Virtual Machine to allow me to run multiple Operating Systems (both 32 and 64 bit) on my laptop.Should be interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my thoughts exactly but having updated from ie7 to ie8 no rollback was allowed to any date I guess it means more phonecalls to microsoft helpline

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
my thoughts exactly but having updated from ie7 to ie8 no rollback was allowed to any date

I hate IE8....Never use it.

Use Cometbird but was recently introduced back to Safari..by Graham (6pmcowboy)

Could never get on with it before.

Love it.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Change is only good if it's for the better....

Very often nowadays that seems IMO not to be the case.

Instead of making things work more efficiently and slick, there seems a mentality of just adding more bells and whistles, as if they are trying to justify the cost of an "upgrade"

Last edited:

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
I am running XP and updated to IE8 had problems with computer veeeery slow and when using internet could not download websites. Turned out was my antivirus (free download as part of my virgin package) and lack of memory (older computer). Wife computer running vista and different antivirus also experienced problems after downloading IE8. Reply from a number of antivirus companies being that they have not completed checks using IE8 and would expect some conflicts !!!!!!!:Angry:

Found the best solution was to unistall IE8 computer then whent back to IE7 and everything fine, have turned of automatic windows updates and not pick what updates I want.
Cannot remember how I unistalled as different for XP and Vista but worth a thought.

Regards Colin

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Are you by any chance in these updates getting service pack 3? if so uninstal it you can do this in ADD/REMOVE,it has been known to cause problems,as for your life book go to manufacturers web sit download all the drivers for the laptop and burn them to a disk,that way if you have used a new HD you have all the drives,it's what i do ,

As for a black bar across the top do you mean screen or IE* you can remove the use of IE8, but you will need to install another web browser first,go to Add/Remove windows componenants and untick the Internet Explorer box

If its above the on Screen this sounds either like a Graphic issue so reinstall graphic driver or the screen may be going

You can also check for Problems in Event Viewer: start /Control Panel ? Adminastrative Tools /Event viewer look in the Applications one & System

sorry for any spelling mistakes its 2.40am lol

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Internet explorer 8

Hi, have read in a few mags about problems with IE8. My laptop has a reminder to upload, but I have always declined, as not being so PC literate, if it went wrong I would not know what to do:Sad:
I'm a bit 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' school! Why on earth they keep on rushing out these 'updates' that seem to cause so many problems I dont know.

Not using Vista either. A friend bought a new pc with it, then had to buy a new printer as his didnt have the update to work with vista!!!!

So I will wait and see what happens.....

S.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
my thoughts exactly but having updated from ie7 to ie8 no rollback was allowed to any date I guess it means more phonecalls to microsoft helpline

Just uninstall it will default back to IE7 Link Removed

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just uninstall it will default back to IE7 Link Removed

Proper Job, many thanks back to IE7 and so far ok switched off updates for good. so far it appears back to normal, whatever that is. Basically I guess I need more memory or a more recent computer, this one is worn out.

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You'll be better off leaving automatic updates on, especially if you use IE.

XP is very stable and most of the updates are security related. Apart from leaving your system vulnerable if you are not up to date (and IE is the most vulnerable of all browsers), the updates work best if they are applied in small batches, rather than one big update every now and again.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
surely if I leave it on then ie8 will automatically install again. Don't want that and have good antivirus/firewall. all the updates do is to keep filling my alread pitifully small harddrive.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
surely if I leave it on then ie8 will automatically install again. Don't want that and have good antivirus/firewall. all the updates do is to keep filling my alread pitifully small harddrive.

Leave it off Roger

By all means check on a regular basis, You control what's being downloaded onto your pc not MS. Too many instances where MS have caused problems and unnecessary files etc with their updates.

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back