Stratford Show, whats happened? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
This the first time we have been for a few years, and boy has it gone down the pan. Traders what traders? Must be all of a dozen, the show used to be one of the best shows of the year, in 2005 we bought our RV here, came here with fun a few times, good show, they even had fireworks on the Saturday night.

ARV club used to park down by the stands, all Eurovans now bar one RV. Doubt we will come again, pity as we enjoyed many a walk in to Stratford.

Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its twice as big as last year, be grateful you didnt come then, only our second visit so nothing more to compare to

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It was comparable to Lincoln and Peterborough, this is without a doubt the most poorly attended show by traders we have eve been to, since our first one in 2003.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It was comparable to Lincoln and Peterborough, this is without a doubt the most poorly attended show by traders we have eve been to, since our first one in 2003.

I wasn't disagreeing with you (y)

There must be as many vans here as there were at Lincoln last year, but there are far fewer trade stalls, a good few of them are only marginally motorhome related

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Compared to past few years this is good !!! Been going down the pan for a long time. Let's face it most of the fun crowd only come as its a weeks camping.
The new organisers "Appletree" are trying to get it back to what it used to be. They have been very accommodating with any of our requests.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went last year and if I had been a day visitor I would have asked for my money back, it was only the rally that was worth anything at all and the walk into town.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not been to a British show for 10 years the only one we think is worth going to these days is Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Why did you stop eddie? Organisers want too much money?
A combination really. The last time we exhibited there was in 2008 and our stand cost about £850.00 There was no electric so our exhibition unit had to be run from a generator. The grass was never cut, it was often muddy, and we did progressively worse and worse as the years went on (we started attended in 1992)

Add to that staff over time, staff food and drink, staff transport costs and it all adds up to a point that we said "if w waste our time this year we will knock it on the head.

And we did!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have to agree with what is being said ,weather aside, it's an oustandingly poor trader attendances with a huge thank you to those that have, even though I could buy absolutly nothing from my shopping list for my latest project.all of wich was Motor Home related we said we would give it another chance after 5 years absence we wont bother again untill we hear of a massive improvement
Apple Tree have taken on a huge task and gamble
Motor Home shows 0 Ebay 1:doh:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We went last year and were back home in just over 2 hours, including driving 30 miles there and 30 back. It was like going to a jumble sale at the local scout hut.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We went last year and were back home in just over 2 hours, including driving 30 miles there and 30 back. It was like going to a jumble sale at the local scout hut.
That does rather sum up the "show" rather well:rolleyes:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We went last year and bought our van ! Apart from that it was disappointing . Was hoping to pop over for a brief visit tomorrow as this show is ten minutes from home but is its poor I will give it a miss.

I understand what ? @eddievanbitz is saying about the cost of having a stand at shows. Used to help a mate out who had stands at shows promoting and selling his water ski business. The costs became outrageous and stopped him from going as it was so close whether any profit at all could possibly be made. No point in putting prices so high as Businesses cannot afford to go and we the public don't want to go if there are few stands.

To those that go have a great time !

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Although admittedly there are not many stalls and negotiating the ground to them is not too much fun we've managed to cross a couple of things of our shopping list so not a complete wash out for us at least.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really feel for Appletree .. they have bent over backwards to try to make this a welcoming event for us. There is entertainment too for tonight and tomorrow .. I am wondering if many traders did not turn up once the storms started before some even set up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A combination really. The last time we exhibited there was in 2008 and our stand cost about £850.00 There was no electric so our exhibition unit had to be run from a generator. The grass was never cut, it was often muddy, and we did progressively worse and worse as the years went on (we started attended in 1992)

Add to that staff over time, staff food and drink, staff transport costs and it all adds up to a point that we said "if w waste our time this year we will knock it on the head.

And we did!
That problem, in general, is common to all sorts of events. We had a similar experience when attending family history shows. In the end we knocked all but the two largest northern shows on the head and simply didn't consider the biggest show in London as the costs were far too high.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
MOST of the Warner's shows have gone downhill from the 90`s when we went to pretty much ALL of them, with the old (now defunct) ARVE. I will (Maybe) go to Lincoln, but only because it`s so close and we can visit with people we know who live close by. Peterborough was the last one we went to (2015) and we did buy a Rapido!. The Lincoln STEAM fair is a better weekend!.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Appletree have been fantastic the entertainment last night was brilliant . The weather hasn't been kind :( which has such a knock on effect .

There are more vans here for sale than we have ever seen . Hope more traders come back next year . Well done Appletree x

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Another day and AGAIN I feel for the organisers ... They can't help the weather but if we have any problems caused by it they have done their darndest to help. I don't normally go into the shows but will tonight just to show my support.

Take the weather away and this has been a wonderful meet .. am in intense pain with fractured pelvis but laughter and friendship abounds. Thanks for the smiles Carol, Liz and Steve, David and Dawn Dux, Merv for our future millions, oh the list is ENDLESS and for the brilliant meal out in the Indian ... loved the people ... mean it ..you are the best!

Colin if you get to read this ..thanks for the Italian .. 5 years and still not given you my fone number .. now THAT is friendship :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Joy! What's wrong with the weather?, sun out, gentle breeze, you have the dry field as well, I can see us being marooned all alone I n the "paddy field" by the end of today.

We might move of course.

Martin

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Yes, have been to Stratford for last 3 or 4 years, but after last year decided not to bother. Very few stands of interest last year, hardly worth the entrance fee ! Everyone friendly, nice venue, but not worth taking moho as we are only 20 miles away. If the costs for traders is so expensive, then we can fully understand.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just back from entertainment .. dancing and gòod company. Funny comedian that had us all chuckling on the way back to our vans even.

Again Appletree staff were amazing and friendly, helpful and deserving of our support. The BEST.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We have been a few times with fun but only takes half an hour to get round the show I have only bought an inverter and an aerial,although last year I did get me solar panel wired up properly.The other days we spent in Stratford as others have said cheap camping, and as we are in Oz enjoying the cold 23 degrees we missed this year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back