Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
In our search for an awning to overwinter in Spain with, I was having at look at these Freestander Awnings that do not require any fixing to the van. Has anyone got or had one and have any views or opinions on them?

download.jpg

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
In our search for an awning to overwinter in Spain with, I was having at look at these Freestander Awnings that do not require any fixing to the van. Has anyone got or had one and have any views or opinions on them?

View attachment 71634
We had a Ventura freestander a couple of years ago, it was the steel pole version and weighed a ton ! It still had to be fixed to the edge of the fiamma rail though, but was a drive away awning. We have a Movelite family, which is easier to put up, but I find is too wide for most pitches. We now just use a Khyam day shelter 200, enough space for the chairs etc. and a hell of a lot quicker to put up.
These are the ones we had/have
2013-07-15 001.JPG
SDC11612.JPG
SDC12076.JPG

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In our search for an awning to overwinter in Spain with

We'll have a very similar looking drive away one on sale in Wrenbury, was worth it's weight in gold for three weeks in Spain, not used since. Now got a safari room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We've got a Lillypad safari room for the Fiamma which is brilliant but it's not going to be much good in Dec and Jan in Beni I'm thinking. I've also read on here that the lightweight awnings are not suitable for extended use, although I have to say that is what I'd prefer. I know the Freestander or similar are going to be bulky and heavy, but as it's going to be a drive down and back so I'm thinking that won't matter so much.

Still very undecided though!! :confused:

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Had this one for my Spanish winters and found it very good.

Hymer 640 2.jpg

Sold it a few weeks ago. It's called a Valley Lodge, and it's by Outdoor revolution.
The trouble with the cheap ripstop type is they deteriorate in the sun.
This model was originally a Harrison and mine had Harrison labels in it.
A mate of mine had the original Harrison one that lasted over 15 years in the sun, so a good bit of kit.

:cooler:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Had this one for my Spanish winters and found it very good.

Sold it a few weeks ago. It's called a Valley Lodge, and it's by Outdoor revolution.
The trouble with the cheap ripstop type is they deteriorate in the sun.
This model was originally a Harrison and mine had Harrison labels in it.
A mate of mine had the original Harrison one that lasted over 15 years in the sun, so a good bit of kit.

Looks a great set up, do you have a track fitted below the wind out? Also, our Hymer is a B544 with habitation door at rear, would you think this style of awning would fit over the doorway to step straight out into awning? Our door position looks to me as though it could be an issue with many awning types.

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Looks a great set up, do you have a track fitted below the wind out? Also, our Hymer is a B544 with habitation door at rear, would you think this style of awning would fit over the doorway to step straight out into awning? Our door position looks to me as though it could be an issue with many awning types.

My door was at the rear Starline B640

I had a Velcro fixed J rail under the Roll out awning. The Drive away stands away from the MH so the door can open into the space between.
Even though the the fabric between Drive away and MH is weather proof, I had the roll out over it as extra insurance as you can see.
It is a genuine free stander and the Velcro J rail was quickly detached.
My mate had a permanent awning rail fitted to his MH and Turn Buttons to hold the fabric to the side of the van, a bit of over kill.

I also had the tall extension as a kitchen and extra storage, for the Golf Clubs and Trollies.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We took a Ventura Freestander to Spain two years running. It needed to have the tunnel part well secured to the van roof due to the Spanish winter winds, which meant throwing the ties over the roof or, usually, having to get up on to the roof to fix them securely. Even so, we had several nights of sleeplessness as the wind tried to carry it off. In wind, it flaps noisily against the van too.

It weighed a ton - 24kg for the canvas bit and 12/13kg or so for the steel poles. It was a bugger to erect and it became easier to do without it and finally we threw it in the bin.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We took a Ventura Freestander to Spain two years running. It needed to have the tunnel part well secured to the van roof due to the Spanish winter winds, which meant throwing the ties over the roof or, usually, having to get up on to the roof to fix them securely. Even so, we had several nights of sleeplessness as the wind tried to carry it off. In wind, it flaps noisily against the van too.

It weighed a ton - 24kg for the canvas bit and 12/13kg or so for the steel poles. It was a bugger to erect and it became easier to do without it and finally we threw it in the bin.

:eek:...I'm slowly going completely off the idea of any kind of awning apart from the Fiamma and our lillypad sides. Easy to pull out, creates a nice sun trap and cuts out the wind and most important...easy to put away for a peaceful nights sleep!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Isn't that a tent?

Not a tent, but they don't necessarily have to be attached to van using a separate track or the track built into Fiamma or Orminster wind outs.

?

Deleted User
Is Freestander Awnings a brand or just what you call them? If the later you might find a larger choice using drive away awnings in your search.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Is Freestander Awnings a brand or just what you call them? If the later you might find a larger choice using drive away awnings in your search.

No Freestander are a brand made by Ventura. This is one below.

This is an old thread by the way, in the end a very generous Funster gave us a Dorema Highlander Awning which is almost identical to the Ventura, except that it attaches to the Fiamma rail. We used it for almost five months in Benidorm and it was excellent.

ventura-freestander-cumulus-low-motorhome-awning-2015.jpg

?

Deleted User
No Freestander are a brand made by Ventura. This is one below.

This is an old thread by the way, in the end a very generous Funster gave us a Dorema Highlander Awning which is almost identical to the Ventura, except that it attaches to the Fiamma rail. We used it for almost five months in Benidorm and it was excellent.

Lol and i was taking the mick just yesterday with somone not looking at a thread date. Doh! I keep looking at the drive away myself as i fancy one but my small self build is to small and its only a short lived van as i intend getting larger soon so buying an awning to fit may be a waste of money. I am honestly thinking of just taking a gazebo with me and hooking one side over the vans roof rack.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Lol and i was taking the mick just yesterday with somone not looking at a thread date. Doh! I keep looking at the drive away myself as i fancy one but my small self build is to small and its only a short lived van as i intend getting larger soon so buying an awning to fit may be a waste of money. I am honestly thinking of just taking a gazebo with me and hooking one side over the vans roof rack.

Your probably thinking along the right lines; although the Dorema we had was great, I would only ever consider it practical for a long term stay. Erecting the steel frame and then pulling the awning over it is hard work, harder I would say than putting up caravan awning where you feed awning around rail and then erect poles from under. We saw lots of free standing gazebo type tents that looked great, and of course you don't have to have it against the van!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Having thought about buying a driveaway awning I have made the decision to delay making a decision for a year.
But it is interesting to note that those designated "tents" seem much cheaper.

?

Deleted User
Yes @mani been looking at that also. Dont need anything till the start of September as sods law i buy a gazebo and a chap small awning comes up for little money. I have been in contact twice with gumtree sellers about a great deal they were selling awnings but not willing to post, but yes, ridge tents are also getting looked at.

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bought a Ventura Freelander with fibreglass poles a couple of weeks ago off e-bay, delivery charge from Cornwell to North Tyneside was £15.
Hubby having knee replacement surgery in a few weeks so we have sited the MH about 40 mins away and visit every weekend with me driving the car up there. We are going to be there for a couple of months so it's worth putting up the awning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back