VB Full Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Has anyone had VB full air suspension fitted ?

Would appreciate any feedback

Thank you

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Robert I have just returned from Court Conversions Tiverton we had EP jacking and semi VB Air to rear and on the drive home it's very noticeable how much better the ride is its on a Hymer Exsis with Alko chassis I didn't go with full as I was more interested in keeping the rear end up when loaded and towing the car trailer,it's turned out a real benefit and well worth having,tried the jacks earlier brilliant.
Certainly would not hessitate recommending VB and Court Conversions they did it all in two days.e
On talking to the fitter if you have VB full air it's linked to your EPsystem and all works automatically what we have had done has a really good professional finish with a purpose made gauge panel fitted under steering wheel in the little shaped alcove above fuse box complete with adjuster switches.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks @Speve
We've had the E&P jacks for a while now - they're great!
Not sure about spending another £6k on full air suspension though as our Carthago has no body roll and handles great - just that we feel the bumps on uneven roads.
We do a lot of miles and would like the extra comfort - just want to be sure before buying

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Robert,

I have the full VB air fitted on our 6 wheeler. Mick at SAP in Doncaster fitted it and did a fantastic job, which involved some additional chassis fabrication.

We have the Fiat Ducato X250 that sat nose down so was really in need of a front spring upgrade, but I elected to go full air.

As the kid's have got older they have got somewhat more discerning in their travel expectations and journey's for them in the rear were becoming more intolerable especially travelling through Belgium etc. and so the full air suspension has made a tremendous difference to the quality of ride for them.

Overall I have been very impressed with the difference in ride quality, stability, cornering etc. and believe the van is actually running more economically.

I also had the E&P levelling fitted which links in well with the VB Air. The suspension drops the van to its lowest possible point before the E&P levelling system takes over allowing for a greater stroke on the hydraulic rams.

I'm glad I invested in it and would do the same again if I needed to.

If you need any more info just ask

Cheers

Andy

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks @Speve
We've had the E&P jacks for a while now - they're great!
Not sure about spending another £6k on full air suspension though as our Carthago has no body roll and handles great - just that we feel the bumps on uneven roads.
We do a lot of miles and would like the extra comfort - just want to be sure before buying
Well I agree I couldn't justify the extra for full as we have Golschmitt Spring upgrade on the front,but it's certainly worked out well for us towing, we like yourself never had any problem with wallowing but felt the back was a little to close to the road when loaded and the trailer hooked up.(y)(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Robert,

I have the full VB air fitted on our 6 wheeler. Mick at SAP in Doncaster fitted it and did a fantastic job, which involved some additional chassis fabrication.

We have the Fiat Ducato X250 that sat nose down so was really in need of a front spring upgrade, but I elected to go full air.

As the kid's have got older they have got somewhat more discerning in their travel expectations and journey's for them in the rear were becoming more intolerable especially travelling through Belgium etc. and so the full air suspension has made a tremendous difference to the quality of ride for them.

Overall I have been very impressed with the difference in ride quality, stability, cornering etc. and believe the van is actually running more economically.

I also had the E&P levelling fitted which links in well with the VB Air. The suspension drops the van to its lowest possible point before the E&P levelling system takes over allowing for a greater stroke on the hydraulic rams.

I'm glad I invested in it and would do the same again if I needed to.

If you need any more info just ask

Cheers

Andy
Cheers Andy appreciate your feedback.
Did you have any issues with your insurers having made this modification?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got the full air...

Fantastic bit of kit...

Smoother ride over rough roads..... Next to no roll in windy weather and when larger trucks over take.. you know that suck and blow effect..

And up to a point no need for leveller`s or ramps.. (y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Got the full air...

Fantastic bit of kit...

Smoother ride over rough roads..... Next to no roll in windy weather and when larger trucks over take.. you know that suck and blow effect..

And up to a point no need for leveller`s or ramps.. (y)
Worth £6k though?

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I was considering investing in a new van, but decided in the end that there was nothing worth trading ours in for. Instead I elected to 'upgrade' our present van with extra's I'd probably be looking for on a new one. So I took the view that the cost for full air was a small price to pay in the grand scheme of new van upgrade.

Life's a short ride so why not make it a more comfy one if you can!

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Another thumbs up for Mick at SAP Doncaster. We had full air put on our Cathargo, o problems with it, and it is great being able to drop it low for loading, it saves me moaning about my knees.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know someone who has it fitted to a Murvi PVC. They went to Iceland (the country not the shop :)) last year in company of two other Murvis and they were able to go much faster over the rough roads there than the other two. But I believe the owner bought it more for the self-levelling ability than road handling, although the latter was certainly a major bonus but with Continental tyres with sensible pressures in them we still have all our fillings in place after doing a few miles down here in southern Italy. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I was considering investing in a new van, but decided in the end that there was nothing worth trading ours in for. Instead I elected to 'upgrade' our present van with extra's I'd probably be looking for on a new one. So I took the view that the cost for full air was a small price to pay in the grand scheme of new van upgrade.

Life's a short ride so why not make it a more comfy one if you can!
That's exactly what I'm thinking.
I've spent so much time, effort and money getting the van exactly how I want it, I can't imagine going through the whole process again in a year or two's time.
I've made my mind up - air suspension is a GO!
Wonder if I can get it fitted before the end of next week?

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Robert @Robert Clark,

We have the full VB 4C with leveling. Same van as yours I believe. It really does make a difference to the ride. We don't even need to stuff pack things to stop them rattling and you can have a conversation whilst driving. The price you have been quoted seems a bit high but I guess they are expecting you to negotiate. Might be worth your while trying Rosmia in West Sussex.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we couldn't have full air something to do with the rear wheel drive Mercedes and Alco combination, cant really say I have noticed as much difference as I would have liked for £5K (just for rear) but where it has been excellent is for ferry loading we can lift the rear and don't ground any more

Also it interfaces with the E + P and drops the rear axle before levelling, better for the suspension / air bags apparently

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hello Robert @Robert Clark,

We have the full VB 4C with leveling. Same van as yours I believe. It really does make a difference to the ride. We don't even need to stuff pack things to stop them rattling and you can have a conversation whilst driving. The price you have been quoted seems a bit high but I guess they are expecting you to negotiate. Might be worth your while trying Rosmia in West Sussex.
That's who quoted me
They fitted my E&P levellers too
Have asked a company in Birmingham for a quote too - maybe a bargaining tool?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
we couldn't have full air something to do with the rear wheel drive Mercedes and Alco combination, cant really say I have noticed as much difference as I would have liked for £5K (just for rear) but where it has been excellent is for ferry loading we can lift the rear and don't ground any more

Also it interfaces with the E + P and drops the rear axle before levelling, better for the suspension / air bags apparently
My quote includes linking to the levellers and it seems a good combination
Looking online there is a great video which shows the differences between all of the ALKO suspension upgrades and the full air does appear to be the optimum solution

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks guys - have emailed Mick at S&P and Court Conversions for a quote

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi Robert I have just returned from Court Conversions Tiverton we had EP jacking and semi VB Air to rear and on the drive home it's very noticeable how much better the ride is its on a Hymer Exsis with Alko chassis I didn't go with full as I was more interested in keeping the rear end up when loaded and towing the car trailer,it's turned out a real benefit and well worth having,tried the jacks earlier brilliant.
Certainly would not hessitate recommending VB and Court Conversions they did it all in two days.e
On talking to the fitter if you have VB full air it's linked to your EPsystem and all works automatically what we have had done has a really good professional finish with a purpose made gauge panel fitted under steering wheel in the little shaped alcove above fuse box complete with adjuster switches.
Hi, Glad to hear all was well at Court Conversions. I'm booked in for early July just for the jacking. Didn't think about the rear air but you've now got me thinking. Did it add a lot to the cost?
Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi, Glad to hear all was well at Court Conversions. I'm booked in for early July just for the jacking. Didn't think about the rear air but you've now got me thinking. Did it add a lot to the cost?
Thanks
It was £1600 for semi air with comfort kit also had my compressor and EP pump fitted in a box behind the skirt as no really any practical space available they made a good job of it they certainly know what they're doing.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mick at sap Doncaster fitted the levelling and air ride on mine.
A work of Art!!
Apparently he is the top guy for this.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can only add that Mick at SAP is a top guy and his work is of the highest quality (a proper engineer). He is the number 1 dealer for both VB and E&P in the UK and his attention to detail is second to none. I think the price is pretty much fixed throughout the dealer network so wouldn't expect there to be too much difference in quotations to be honest.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Can only add that Mick at SAP is a top guy and his work is of the highest quality (a proper engineer). He is the number 1 dealer for both VB and E&P in the UK and his attention to detail is second to none. I think the price is pretty much fixed throughout the dealer network so wouldn't expect there to be too much difference in quotations to be honest.
Is that not called price fixing which is illegal in the UK?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think both VB and EP have vetted their installers really well and they ensure all are excellent fitters to maintain a good reputation and keep customers coming back.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The "Recommended Retail Price" is as the phrase suggest, "recommended". It is not set in stone and any retailer is free to alter it up or down which gives the buyer the opportunity to negotiate.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The "Recommended Retail Price" is as the phrase suggest, "recommended". It is not set in stone and any retailer is free to alter it up or down which gives the buyer the opportunity to negotiate.
The kit is supplied and Exported by E&P there isn't a variable in that. Garages tend to have the same overheads that are equipped for this type of work. They have nothing to gain by undercutting each other. Customers tend to go to the nearest franchise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back