LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Hi all.
I want to lengthen our cadac BBQ gas flexible hose from the original 1 metre to about 6 metres so I can use the BBQ on the other side of the van.
Any issues or regulations I should be aware of.
Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Regulations say max 1 mt.. but you can buy it longer.. I've seen hoses on eBay sold any length

From a safety point .. it can be a trip hazard.. personally I wouldn't ..

It would be better to install another gas point.. or do as I do, use a 5kg Patio gas bottle.. it is convenient to carry , and the barbie can be used away from the mother ship..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I am 90% certain that Cadac suggest 1.5m max.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Quote from a Calor rep on another forum

It can depend on the type and rating of the appliance but as a rule of thumb we advise that the hose length from a BBQ point should not exceed 1.5m. This is to minimise any drop in pressure that may affect the performance of the appliance, and also minimise the risk of the hose being damaged.

As a side issue, we always like to reiterate that appliances being used from a BBQ point should always be out in the open and not positioned inside an awning.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I believe that the 1 / 2 metre regulation was for the High Pressure side of the system and not low pressure. Some shops will only sell 1 metre lengths because of the confusion as the hose is rated as a high pressure hose, but used for the low pressure side.
A neighbour of mine at a canal stop used a 6 metre hose and his cadac was very poor as it seemed the hose too long to perfome effectivly as it had worked very well befor he added that length of hose.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can't find the regulation.. only guidance..

but you are probably correct Andy, most dealers will only sell up to a max of 2 mt.. but they can't tell you what regulation is being applied..

I think common sense should be applied.. bearing in mind the longer the hose, the greater loss of pressure.. and the increase trip hazard.

When I bought the hose for my Weber Q series the dealer offered 1, 2 and 3 meter hose..

I bought 1 mt as I'm using with a bottle.. longer hose gets in the way..

For the above reasons, I suggest 3mt should be the max length used..

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I agree with the common sense angle but that must be to read the manufacturer's guidance. These days that information should be online as well as with the appliance.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Where the 2mt guidance comes from.... but doesn't mention hoses for BBQs

Flexible Hoses

Use only marked and certified hoses BS3212 or BSEN1763 and which bear the year and name of the manufacturer and clips as LPG attacks and erodes natural rubber. Keep hose lengths as short as possible and less than 2 meters in length. All flexible hoses must be secured with proper hose clips. Make sure that the hoses are kept clear of ‘hot spots’ and inspect them from time to time. Replace any hose that shows signs of wear or damage.

For Touring Caravans and Motor Homes, in 2003 BS EN 1949 was introduced which requires the hose between the cylinder and regulator to be no longer than 450mm

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely 2?

I thought 1 .. you may be correct

Our local farm supply store (registered calor bulk and bottle dealer) will only sell in 2 mtr lengths....then they will happily sell connectors and crimp rings to join as many 2 meter lengths as you bought.
Makes no sense as joints are a potential hazard point and the more joints, the more chance of a leak.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Our local farm supply store (registered calor bulk and bottle dealer) will only sell in 2 mtr lengths....then they will happily sell connectors and crimp rings to join as many 2 meter lengths as you bought.
Makes no sense as joints are a potential hazard point and the more joints, the more chance of a leak.
I've yet to encounter a shop that won't sell you any length you are willing to pay for or even a full coil.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I believe that the 1 / 2 metre regulation was for the High Pressure side of the system and not low pressure. Some shops will only sell 1 metre lengths because of the confusion as the hose is rated as a high pressure hose, but used for the low pressure side.
I agree. The low pressure side a barely a breath

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Aside from the regulations and the common sense, to minimise pressure drop the answer is to use larger bore hose for most of the length, with size reducer adapters secured with hose clips.

There's a dozen ways to reduce the trip hazard, fix it to the ground with tent pegs and string, or bury it in the sand, etc.

OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Thanks for all the replies.
The hose would under the van and an extended awning distance then.thats where I am getting the 5/6 metre approx length .
Great idea about burying the hose.
I guess as regards the pressure,i will give it a go and see how I get on.
As regards being allowed to buy a certain length....I could have bought rolls of it,no questions asked.is that a good or bad thing....?

OP
OP
Spade

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
In which countries ?

Maybe regulations is the wrong word.i mean information like i received in the replies.as I said above,i never thought of low pressure maybe being a factor

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe regulations is the wrong word

Not really, when it all goes wrong and your van is setting fire to next door, regulations will be closely looked at.

I have 3m and I know that if I ever got lost and ended up in Mongolia I would be flogged and thrown down a cliff just for owning it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The hose on mine is about 1m and when I connect it to the BBQ point and turn it on it takes an appreciable time before the gas gets down to the end and I can light it. With 6m there could be enough time to go a make a pot of tea. :) But I wonder if the guidance is more about minimising the volume of potentially explosive gas/air which will form in the hose when first turned on and the amount of gas which will remain in the hose if you turn it off at the BBQ end first - which you shouldn't but people will?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
We have 4 metres. There is no appreciable pressure drop between 1m and 4m or even 6m of gas hose. Our Cadac still works perfectly. Most hardware stores, caravan accessory dealers etc will only sell you 2m lengths because they have all misunderstood the same regulations about flexible hoses inside a caravan. If you buy it online you can have any length you like. At least with a 4m hose it lies on the floor so can't be tripped over where as a 2m hose would only just about reach the ground between the gas point on our MH and the Cadac. You actually only need low pressure hose (usually black) but it is not as easy to obtain as high pressure hose (orange) and usually HP hose is cheaper because the demand is greater.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Can't see how a 4 metre or longer pipe can reduce pressure IF the pipe is in GOOD condition.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back