Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Does anyone know a fridge repair place between Oban and Glasgow? It won't ignite and I don't want to play around with it.........Actually change that to I am not allowed to play around with it. I arrive in Oban tonight and am heading to Glasgow. Really appreciate any help with any dealers or repairers.
Thanks
Colin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Suggest you re-check that you have gas available and non of your supply taps are turned off to the fridge.
Best of luck.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just googled caravan repairs near Oban and the only one showing is Argyll Caravan Repairs based in Oban not much info other than the name Gordon & tel nos 01631 770656. Mob 07501002285
Might be worth a ring?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our fridge has a gas isolator in the cupboard next to it, which is where we keep the washing up liquid. I'm forever knocking it off. Have you checked this?

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Suggest you re-check that you have gas available and non of your supply taps are turned off to the fridge.
Best of luck.

Our fridge has a gas isolator in the cupboard next to it, which is where we keep the washing up liquid. I'm forever knocking it off. Have you checked this?
Thanks
Have checked the gas flow and I can light the gas from outside so the gas flow is OK. I think it may be something to do with the ignition. There are a couple of other things that need fixing as well.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just googled caravan repairs near Oban and the only one showing is Argyll Caravan Repairs based in Oban not much info other than the name Gordon & tel nos 01631 770656. Mob 07501002285
Might be worth a ring?

Thanks for that. Will try them

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Possibly a bit late for you now but we found that our fridge won't light with gas if the Moho is tipped too far forward ie the front of the van is lower than the back (where our fridge is).
Had the same problem as you (not igniting whilst wild camping in Badachro yesterday) but everything fine now we are level in Durness.
Hope that helps?
Sharon x

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Possibly a bit late for you now but we found that our fridge won't light with gas if the Moho is tipped too far forward ie the front of the van is lower than the back (where our fridge is).
Had the same problem as you (not igniting whilst wild camping in Badachro yesterday) but everything fine now we are level in Durness.
Hope that helps?
Sharon x

That is very strange?. It is more usual that out ov level affects the flow of the liquid/gases around the system, rather than ignition, May I suggest you investigate further? You may need a flue clean or burner service?.

Pete

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Almost certainly the thermocouple. Easy repair, but can be fiddly. Should be a quick fix for a pro or competent DIY person.
Phil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have checked the gas flow and I can light the gas from outside so the gas flow is OK. I think it may be something to do with the ignition. There are a couple of other things that need fixing as well.

Almost certainly the thermocouple. Easy repair, but can be fiddly. Should be a quick fix for a pro or competent DIY person.
Phil

If it is lighting from outside Phil.. .. why would you suggest the thermocouple.. ? It has nothing to do with ignition.. It holds the gas valve open once the gas is lit..

This is often changed for no good reason, they very rarely give trouble.. can't recall ever having to change one..

Hopefully the OP will get back with a report of the fault..

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If it is lighting from outside Phil.. .. why would you suggest the thermocouple.. ? It has nothing to do with ignition.. It holds the gas valve open once the gas is lit..

This is often changed for no good reason, they very rarely give trouble.. can't recall ever having to change one..

Hopefully the OP will get back with a report of the fault..

I have fixed 2 fridges not working on gas and both times it was the thermocouple. I just feel they are the likely culprits.
Phil

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have had that trouble before when our caravan was parked not level. Doesn't appear that it is the problem here as when I manually ignite it the fridge works OK. It is looking more and more like a problem with the spark. What does the thermocouple do?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What does the thermocouple do?

It's a safety device that detects the flame.. when heated it generates a very small voltage that holds the gas valve open.. you can find them on most gas appliances.

If the flame gets blown out ... or the gas doesn't ignite, the gas valve closes..

Occasionally it can get out of alignment and not detect the flame.. when that happens the gas will light, but go out as soon as you take your hand off the gas ignition knob.

No spark can be either the igniter board, broken wire, or the spark tip needing adjustment.. it's similar to a spark plug.. if the gap is too big it won't spark

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Thanks.
Yes it is a bit strange - it's never happened before and I'd heard that other people experienced issues with gas appliances not working properly or at all when not level. So that is what we thought was causing it.
We also could not get a spark and the gas was flowing to the cooker.
Does anybody know if that sort of thing would be checked as part of the habitation service?
Ours will be due next month.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We also could not get a spark and the gas was flowing to the cooker.
Does anybody know if that sort of thing would be checked as part of the habitation service?

yes.. it should be part of the service.. but I would also tell them, or put a note on the hob that the ignitor's not working..

some igniters have a battery.. others use the 12v from the van..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If it's a Dometic fridge it could well be the connector. Take of the bottom grill and you'll see a bunch of wires going into a terminal block. Take this off and spray with switch cleaner and put back on. On mine I get two issues, firstly will not light, second ignores the fridge temperature. I now do this every month.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Update, when a thermocouple fails it SHOULD, Fail "Safe". ie closed. It is however rare, but not unknown for one to fail jambed open. In that circumstance the gas flow remains ON regardless of if there is a flame or not, potentially allowing UN-burnt gas to accumulate and is extremely dangerous.

Pete

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
40 years doing gas ive never seen a thermocouple pilot light fail to open even if it did on a fridge theres more than enough ventilation to stop it becoming dangerous

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
40 years doing gas ive never seen a thermocouple pilot light fail to open even if it did on a fridge theres more than enough ventilation to stop it becoming dangerous

With the greatest respect, I would not recommend risking it?. I know there is a narrow band between the LEL and HEL in which gas will ignite, BUT?. As for thermocouple failures, I have seen several in Marine environments, Fail spectacularly, and had to use a Fire extinguisher on one! they should (and most do) "fail Safe" (Closed). Always it is due to poor maintenance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back