Soon to be Newbies (1 Viewer)

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi.

Well, at last the freedom of the roads and countryside will be ours; hopefully we will be getting our '55' plate Compass Avantgarde 200 mid October this year.
It is me and him :Cool:, old and young, setting off on wonderful adventures around the UK and much of Europe too.
I was born and 'brung up' in the UK, whilst Ras was born in Denmark, so we will be definately aquainting ourselves with the roads from Calais to Denmark a great deal, but we hope to also turn right instead of left at Calais sometimes, and head off down to Switzerland and into Italy.

One questions: :RollEyes: I know that 'Motorhomes' can be carried on the 'Lötschberg' car train, through the Simplon Tunnel. Thats a short journey in onse sense, of only about 30 miles, but does anyone know of any other 'car trains' in Europe that carry vehicles larger than cars / small campervans ?? :help:

I know it seems odd to wish to shove ones wheels on a train when you can drive there, but I would quiet like to plan some journeys where we 'go' by train, eg to deep Italy, and then 'return' via our own steam leisurely enjoying the long journey home.

Well I have not done a mega job of introducing us, but if any one wishes to say 'hi' back and ask anything, I am sure an answer from us will be forthcoming.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and :welcome: :thumb:

Cannot help on the choo-choo side of things,, but what ever you do enjoy it.. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know it seems odd to wish to shove ones wheels on a train when you can drive there

Yup. One of the oddest ideas I've seen on a motorhome forum. Half the pleasure is the journey. OK, half the aggravation can also be the journey but it's unpredictable and the rest of us take the risk.

We've been under the Millau Viaduct so we have just one Mega Bridge left, the Denmark one, must do that one day. One thing that puts us off a little is cost, is Denmark really as expensive as is often rumoured ?

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
You are right Brian, that Bridge is awesome, however, the cost of things in Denmark is not that different to the UK, and in fact in someways it is cheaper. Fuel for a start is on average cheaper than the UK and certainly cheaper than most of Europe (France, Germany etc). Living in Denmark does not seem to be much fun compared to living and working in the UK; income tax is almost double the UK level, but then avarage wages are virtually double the UK.

What I do find 'expensive' is the way the Danish government deal with motor vehicles; if you buy a car you actually pay 180% 'car tax' and then VAT 25% on top of that. :whatthe: Now that is expensive.

We are going over at Christmas, and there are several things I wish to purchase (some for the Motorhome) which are a lot cheaper there than here.

So, Brian, please do go to Denmark, drive to Hamburg, turn left, head for Denmark, stop at 'Scandanavia Park' Flensburg Handewitt (last junction of motorway before the German / Danish border, and then drive up, across the 'Little Belt Bridge' (free) at Fredericia, then go to the 'Great Belt Bridge' (Toll), carry on across to Copenhagen and the equally spectacular 'Oresunde Bridge' (Toll) and enter Sweden.

Happy Travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are right Brian, that Bridge is awesome
So, Brian, please do go to Denmark,
Happy Travels.

Not next year - The Big 2010 Trip is pointing at Garda, Denmark does not fit in with that route. But possible for 2011.

Garda is only 750 miles from Calais, a lot of them exciting, which makes me puzzled at your desire to jump on a train. But maybe you don't like driving, not uncommon, though not good in a MHer.

When we were touring by bike we did think of a train to Nice and avoid the horrible northern European weather but it was so expensive we never did do this, we got horribly wet instead.

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Thanks Brian.

It is not that I don't like driving, but my theory is that if you wish to have a holiday of 'X' number of days, and wish to reach a destination that is too far to travel both ways by Motorhome in that number of days, then I was merely thinking that if you put the van on a train and get to the furthest point 'fast' you can then enjoy the full journey back home in the number of days you can be away.

I hope your Garda expedition goes well.

Adge

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was merely thinking that if you put the van on a train and get to the furthest point 'fast' you can then enjoy the full journey back home in the number of days you can be away.
Adge

Ah. Now it all makes sense at a theoretical level. Whether the trains go where you want and when you want is the question, which you did ask.

What we do get round here is folk using ferries for this reason. Greece/Turkey could be done by road but it's quicker using a boat ( I think, or is it just safer ? ).

Bilbao/Santander is another one where you can save a day or so by paying loads of money to the ferry operator.

>> I hope your Garda expedition goes well.

Not finalised yet but in January we'll see how serious the other nine interested Funsters are in making it a glorious Italian Funster Meet.

See here:
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back