Outwell collapsible kettle (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Thought I ought to post a warning about this product after what happened to me last week. After boiling the kettle, I took it off the hob and lo and behold, the handle fell off. Fortunately, the kettle was over the sink at the time, so it fell away from me and into the sink - very lucky, otherwise I would have been badly scalded. When I got over the shock, I looked more closely at where the handle was attached to the kettle, to discover that it was simply spot welded in 2 places. It took me some time to discover an email address for Customer Services at Outwell (their website is very cagey), and having eventually found an address I wrote and described the problem. I am yet to receive a reply, having been promised one within 3 working days. I have been offered a refund by the shop where I bought it - they have been fine - but it's not the money I'm bothered about - it's the safety of the product. If you own one of these, you must make up your own mind, but I thought it only right to warn people to take care.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have to say I've always been suspicious about collapsible stuff, especially the kettle as I feared something like this could happen.

Glad you're OK though. Scalding is a nasty injury to suffer.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I agree with @Photo4x4 it should be reported to trading stds. You were lucky someone else might not be. Thanks for letting us know though. I have looked at these a few times but never bought, I won't be now.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
I hadn't though about contacting Trading Standards - thank you for the suggestion. I will look into that.

Reactions: GJH

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit I've looked at collapsible kettles, of various types, and they do vary a lot in quality, but I can't see why you'd really need one in a normal motorhome/camper unless storage space is really, really tight - for tent camping etc maybe.

I've stuck with standard type 'rigid' kettles with a folding handles - my current one has a removable lid and 'flip up' whistle on the spout - nice stainless steel which didn't cost much at all - certainly nothing like the cost of a collapsible one! You do, however, also need to be careful if buying a 'rigid' kettle as some of the handles are very loosely secured - in fact a previous one I had did come adrift which I fixed so it couldn't do it again but this is one piece of kitchen equipment in my MH I will not compromise on ... if it 'fails' when it has boiling water in it, the consequences can be horrific.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Nice to know that Outwell are so concerned about their customers' safety. Here is the reply I received from Customer Services:

We are sorry for the late reply, but we have now looked deeper into the case. We have had 5 complaints on this product, which is not many. Unfortunately you have purchased one of those and we therefore recommend that you contact your dealer and get a new one.

I have told them I wouldn't dream of getting a new one. They simply don't seem to understand that this kettle is a serious accident waiting to happen. Trading Standards here we come.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I think that's a standard response and they haven't even considered what type of product it is and the safety risk.

Definitely one for trading standards. Let us know what happens.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I must admit I've looked at collapsible kettles, of various types, and they do vary a lot in quality, but I can't see why you'd really need one in a normal motorhome/camper unless storage space is really, really tight - for tent camping etc maybe.

I've stuck with standard type 'rigid' kettles with a folding handles - my current one has a removable lid and 'flip up' whistle on the spout - nice stainless steel which didn't cost much at all - certainly nothing like the cost of a collapsible one! You do, however, also need to be careful if buying a 'rigid' kettle as some of the handles are very loosely secured - in fact a previous one I had did come adrift which I fixed so it couldn't do it again but this is one piece of kitchen equipment in my MH I will not compromise on ... if it 'fails' when it has boiling water in it, the consequences can be horrific.
I want to steal @cruiser 's camping kettle. It is allegedly even older than he is. Best designed camping kettle I've ever seen, with a stainless heat absorbing coil around the bottom edge to catch the heat from the flame as it spills over the edge.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have the outwell kettle and it has performed really well...do miss the whistle though:rolleyes:. We use this style as it fits in the washing up bucket - collapsable again for space saving, and it save routing through the cupboards when we have a quick stop for a cuppa. I shall of course now be keeping and eye on the handle welds.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I want to steal @cruiser 's camping kettle. It is allegedly even older than he is. Best designed camping kettle I've ever seen, with a stainless heat absorbing coil around the bottom edge to catch the heat from the flame as it spills over the edge.
I remember those, my Mum used to have one when I was a kid! :D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have used one for over a year with no faults. Alan also has one in his van. I used a descaler on it and then it began to leak. Bought him another when Halfords were selling them for £5.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We also bought one from Halfords at £5.00 (thanks @irnbru ). Have used it quite a lot but will keep our eye on the handle fixings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back