Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Hi, We are approaching retirement and have started seriously thinking about buying a motorhome. We have a budget of £20,000 - maybe £25,000 for the perfect vehicle - and have budgeted £2500 for annual costs excluding fuel.

A few questions if I may.

Is the £2500 for annual costs realistic ?

What pitfalls are there for the newbie and the unwary in owning a motorhome ? (I have managed to train herself not to say 'campervan' lol)

We are looking at something with 4 berths and 4 travelling seats - the 2 extra berths will be for grandchildren so no harm in them being a bit on the small side. We have looked at a few motorhomes so far, and much prefer the layout with the bathroom at the back. Any comments on the pros and cons of the different layout options ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Main thing to look for in a second hand vehicle is damp.

The layout is a very personal choice - do you like sitting in the sun or prefer to be inside? That will determine the lounge or dinette. Check your driving license for the C1 category in case you need to go over the 3,500kg.

Otherwise just keep looking until you see the motorhome you love. :)

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Main thing to look for in a second hand vehicle is damp.

The layout is a very personal choice - do you like sitting in the sun or prefer to be inside? That will determine the lounge or dinette. Check your driving license for the C1 category in case you need to go over the 3,500kg.

Otherwise just keep looking until you see the motorhome you love. :)

Thankfully, I passed my test in an era where you automatically got the C1 licence, and I am used to driving vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes so I should be ok with the driving.

Dondon

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Eh260dd
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi,M/Hmers,just recently bought our 1st M/H Bessacarr x520. Fiat Ducato rig. Joined to get plenty of advice.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
very generous
Agreed, I don't recall ever having spent that much in one year, even including unexpected £1000 bills...

Some ball park figures, think I've priced high for all of it !
Minor service £200.00
Major service £350.00
Cam belt £350.00
New tyres £450.00
New batteries £50-£200 each
Habitation Service and repair minor faults £400.00
Insurance £400.00
Tax £250.00
Storage £400.00
Vanbitz alarm/immobiliser £700.00 (£1,000 for bells and whistles)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Can recommend rear bathroom, we run a Dethleffs 7014 3rd motorhome, but layout that satisfied wife, She wanted luxury of full width rear bathroom and spacious feeling given by not having mid point location. Visit a show and check different layouts, but you will only know if it suits when your living in it. Annual costs around £1000 should be more realistic, and travelling on £300 per week is do able.
Good luck
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
- the 2 extra berths will be for grandchildren so no harm in them being a bit on the small side.

Hee hee - we are gong for a 2 berth so that the grandchildren can't come with us. Brought up our 5, now it's their turn.

I know, i sound like Victor Meldrew on a bad day :D.

p.s. we don't have any grandchildren yet due to aforementioned 5 being bloody useless.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hee hee - we are gong for a 2 berth so that the grandchildren can't come with us. Brought up our 5, now it's their turn.

p.s. we don't have any grandchildren yet due to aforementioned 5 being bloody useless.

That's more or less what we said but now we have two Grandsons (cousins) and love having them with us. We are changing our van to a bigger one so we can have them at the same time and for longer :) It's different when you can give them back.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Agreed, I don't recall ever having spent that much in one year, even including unexpected £1000 bills...

Some ball park figures, think I've priced high for all of it !
Minor service £200.00
Major service £350.00
Cam belt £350.00
New tyres £450.00
New batteries £50-£200 each
Habitation Service and repair minor faults £400.00
Insurance £400.00
Tax £250.00
Storage £400.00
Vanbitz alarm/immobiliser £700.00 (£1,000 for bells and whistles)

That's brilliant. One less worry out of the way lol

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Can recommend rear bathroom, we run a Dethleffs 7014 3rd motorhome, but layout that satisfied wife, She wanted luxury of full width rear bathroom and spacious feeling given by not having mid point location. Visit a show and check different layouts, but you will only know if it suits when your living in it. Annual costs around £1000 should be more realistic, and travelling on £300 per week is do able.
Good luck
Jim

We haven't looked at too many MHs yet, but the rear bathroom makes a lot of sense to us. As you say, it gives you that bit of extra space.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp

We can lend you a few - we have 7 so we have one or two to spare :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi, We are approaching retirement and have started seriously thinking about buying a motorhome. We have a budget of £20,000 - maybe £25,000 for the perfect vehicle - and have budgeted £2500 for annual costs excluding fuel.

A few questions if I may.

Is the £2500 for annual costs realistic ?

What pitfalls are there for the newbie and the unwary in owning a motorhome ? (I have managed to train herself not to say 'campervan' lol)

We are looking at something with 4 berths and 4 travelling seats - the 2 extra berths will be for grandchildren so no harm in them being a bit on the small side. We have looked at a few motorhomes so far, and much prefer the layout with the bathroom at the back. Any comments on the pros and cons of the different layout options ?

Welcome :)

Is the £2,500 annual costs for servicing, repairs etc or for all of your vehicle costs including holiday trips, campsites, tolls?

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Welcome :)

Is the £2,500 annual costs for servicing, repairs etc or for all of your vehicle costs including holiday trips, campsites, tolls?

Just servicing, tyres, routine repairs, plus stashing any excess into a contingency fund in case things go wrong. The costs for trips, campsites, tolls etc would be separate.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just servicing, tyres, routine repairs, plus stashing any excess into a contingency fund in case things go wrong. The costs for trips, campsites, tolls etc would be separate.

I believe that it depends on your van and the servicing agreement that you have. We bought with a warranty that we have maintained. This has required us to spend more on servicing that we would otherwise pay and required habitation checks which IMHO are too expensive but we have had a number of repairs done under the warranty and have probably broken even.

I estimate that we spend approx. £800 pa on keeping our MH serviced, hab checked, warranted, tyres etc. and would be approximately £250 a year without the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
I believe that it depends on your van and the servicing agreement that you have. We bought with a warranty that we have maintained. This has required us to spend more on servicing that we would otherwise pay and required habitation checks which IMHO are too expensive but we have had a number of repairs done under the warranty and have probably broken even.

I estimate that we spend approx. £800 pa on keeping our MH serviced, hab checked, warranted, tyres etc. and would be approximately £250 a year without the bells and whistles.

I could live with those sort of costs. More for the beer and wine fund :)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
just noticed your based Bolton, were in Wakefield if you fancy a look at our van, not trying to sell.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
just noticed your based Bolton, were in Wakefield if you fancy a look at our van, not trying to sell.

That is a very kind offer, and we may well take you up on it. I have had a look on the internet at the Dethleffs 7014 and it really does look an amazing piece of kit. I'm not sure why the rear washroom doesn't seem to be too popular, but to us it seems to make the MH much more liveable. I assume you find that the layout works ?

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
We first came across it on a Rapido at a show 5 years ago, gave a new feeling to van interior as no midway intrusions from wardrobe / toilets as we found on most layouts, just an expanse of space and the ability to use both ends of van for lounging.
Our van has kitchen on RH of hab door, a 2007 model, later vans have kitchen on LH which backs up to end of bed.
7010 is similar layout with A class drop down bed for 4 berths.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back