Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't think there are any close by because we looked into it a few years back.

Not sure about CL's though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I think the closest CSs would be Purleigh or Ulting boh near Maldon.
The nearest campsite I know would be at Creeksea near Canewdon which is much closer to Southend. Never stayed there myself but Ukcampsites shows a 70% rating over 50 reviews so no so bad.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No touring sites that know of, just static van sites.. there are several CLs listed in the Caravan Club..

To be frank, I lived in Basildon for 20 years and would give Southend a body swerve.. big prom, lots of boy racers, front is littered with arcade games halls and tacky shops.. The tide goes out for miles leaving sticky mud,.. only redeeming feature is it has the longest pier in the UK with a miniature train.. a nice walk on a summers day..

The town centre is ok and is nice.. it has a museum..
There is plenty of parking all along the prom.. which is about 3 miles long..

I think @buttons has a favourite cafe for a breakfast .. and

Essex girl watching can be entertaining.. ;)

CLs http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-hol...county=26617&town=Southend-On-Sea&facilities=

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Southend has moved on a lot.
Million pound flats on the front now.
I tend to park van along Ness road.
Nice walk and no parking charges.
Opposite a harvester I think it is.
If you go early, you could park near the yacht club on the front,, and then overnight on one of the back roads.
This is the Shoebury end.
There is also the westcliffe end, again, you could probably park up for the day but will cost.
Try and have a pint at the cockle sheds :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

my critique is how I remember it.. last time I was there would be about 10 years ago.. so it may have changed..

It's great place for the kids to have a day out at the seaside.. Treasure Island, amusements etc.. we went often with ours..

but some things never change.. and I wouldn't go back now..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No touring sites that know of, just static van sites.. there are several CLs listed in the Caravan Club..
To be frank, I lived in Basildon for 20 years and would give Southend a body swerve.. big prom, lots of boy racers, front is littered with arcade games halls and tacky shops.. The tide goes out for miles leaving sticky mud,.. only redeeming feature is it has the longest pier in the UK with a miniature train.. a nice walk on a summers day..
The town centre is ok and is nice.. it has a museum..
There is plenty of parking all along the prom.. which is about 3 miles long..
I think @buttons has a favourite cafe for a breakfast .. and
Essex girl watching can be entertaining.. ;)
CLs http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-hol...county=26617&town=Southend-On-Sea&facilities=
I think you need to re-visit Jim, the place has been transformed. I have been visiting Southend since I was knee high and still visiting for a day most months. Remember this is a seaside resort like Brighton Bournemouth Clacton Great Yarmouth or Le Touquet and it is up there with the best of them.:cool:
Properties along the really lengthy sea front are now fetching silly money. The well enforced 20 and 30 mph speed limits has slowed the boy racers yet watching the regular Essex boy car and bike meets is a pleasure.(y)
My recommendation is Jim;).....take your lovely wife and daughter down for the day. Get there early park on the road in a bay adjacent to the pier, it wont cost you more than £10 for the day. Take your bikes and roller skates. Breakfast in Rosses at Westcliff then use the cycle path that will take you miles in either direction. Don't forget a stroll to the end of the pier and get the train back.
That is my good deed for today.....;)(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm not looking to buy a property.. don't do roller skating and have been down the pier countless times..

we used to cycle there and back from Basildon with three kids.. .. and as far along as Foulness Island.. it has many happy memories.. but .. it's Marmite town.. if you love the typical British seaside resort.. can't go wrong.. buy your Kiss me Kwick hat and enjoy, .. for me it's a just another Blackpool .. without a tower.

IMO Clacton and Gt Yarmouth are nicer, much better beaches , they had proper sand.. and not nearly so tacky.. granted a smaller pier.. each to their own mate.. but to be frank.. we don't do seaside resorts now... so can't give an objective view..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Million pound flats on the front now.
I tend to park van along Ness road.
Nice walk and no parking charges.
Opposite a harvester I think it is.
If you go early, you could park near the yacht club on the front,, and then overnight on one of the back roads.
This is the Shoebury end.
There is also the westcliffe end, again, you could probably park up for the day but will cost.
Try and have a pint at the cockle sheds :)
I'm sure a few quid on parking wont put Jim off.:D
Southend as you say has been transformed putting it among the best UK resorts. Wish I had invested in some of those sea front apartments a few years ago.(y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I think you need to re-visit Jim, the place has been transformed. I have been visiting Southend since I was knee high and still visiting for a day most months. Remember this is a seaside resort like Brighton Bournemouth Clacton Great Yarmouth or Le Touquet and it is up there with the best of them.:cool:
Properties along the really lengthy sea front are now fetching silly money. The well enforced 20 and 30 mph speed limits has slowed the boy racers yet watching the regular Essex boy car and bike meets is a pleasure.(y)
My recommendation is Jim;).....take your lovely wife and daughter down for the day. Get there early park on the road in a bay adjacent to the pier, it wont cost you more than £10 for the day. Take your bikes and roller skates. Breakfast in Rosses at Westcliff then use the cycle path that will take you miles in either direction. Don't forget a stroll to the end of the pier and get the train back.
That is my good deed for today.....;)(y)

... but you really do need to brush up on your Serbo Croat and Romanian language skills. :)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Can anyone suggest any sites around Southend On Sea, we are looking to plan a tour of the south east and this is one of the places we went to visit ?

There are a couple of nice sites, though some distance from Southend. Both next to the Chelmer canal/river if you like walking towpaths and watching locks in action.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll post details.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I may be wrong (usually am) but IIRC "Road to hell" was written about the A127?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm not looking to buy a property.. don't do roller skating and have been down the pier countless times..

we used to cycle there and back from Basildon with three kids.. .. and as far along as Foulness Island.. it has many happy memories.. but .. it's Marmite town.. if you love the typical British seaside resort.. can't go wrong.. buy your Kiss me Kwick hat and enjoy, .. for me it's a just another Blackpool .. without a tower.

IMO Clacton and Gt Yarmouth are nicer, much better beaches , they had proper sand.. and not nearly so tacky.. granted a smaller pier.. each to their own mate.. but to be frank.. we don't do seaside resorts now... so can't give an objective view..
If I had to compare Southend with other seaside towns it would definitely not be dumps like G Yarmouth Blackpool or Clacton. I would describe Southend as a much larger version of SOUTHWOLD the Suffolk gem. (y)
Anyone agree....;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If I had to compare Southend with other seaside towns it would definitely not be dumps like G Yarmouth Blackpool or Clacton. I would describe Southend as a much larger version of SOUTHWOLD the Suffolk gem. (y)
Anyone agree....;)

you forgot about Jaywick sands.. jewel of the Essex coast.. :D

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But what is the Southend equivalent of Adnams? Chip shop vinegar?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Anyone agree....;)
Would agree that its better than Gt Yarmouth. Clacton is as good but Southwold is much better.
Southend has really nice upmarket areas like Thorpe bay and Leigh on sea.
Phil

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
To be frank, I lived in Basildon for 20 years ..............

Ah, Basildon- such sweet memories!
For years I watched the activities from my safe place on the 3rd floor of Trafford House.....
Basildon, the only town in the country with it's own "HOLLYWOOD" sign, such class.
Mind you, some people in Basildon do work for a living whereas Jaywick......... :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah, Basildon- such sweet memories!
For years I watched the activities from my safe place on the 3rd floor of Trafford House.....
Basildon, the only town in the country with it's own "HOLLYWOOD" sign, such class.
Mind you, some people in Basildon do work for a living whereas Jaywick......... :)

to be fair it isn't a bad place to live.. good amenities and shopping centre .. and Watt Tyler is decent place to visit .. good train service .. and good cycle tracks.. typical 60s new town.. It has no aires and graces.. what you see is what you get..

it was one of the few places near London we could afford to buy when I moved down in 1989 to work at Ford's in Dagenham .. another nice Essex village.. :LOL:

in fact sometimes I miss it.. happy memories.. on my sons still lives there..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
& patience, large amounts of it as you'll need it to cope with the traffic.:cry:
The skill with both southend and the A127 is get out early before anyone else. Driving and parking is a breeze, with literally thousands of parking spaces for any vehicles along it's many miles of prom and it is always sunny but not as hot and sticky as Spain. :cool:;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back