Our new Hymer B614SL Star Edition (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi,
We stupidly sat in the wrong motorhome at the Peterborough show so now are the proud owners of a Hymer B614SL Star Edition without the Front bed but factory fitted cupboards instead. It's four years old but most bits have never been used.

So.... Having never had anything to do with the Hymer clan I need to come up to speed with all things Hymer good and bad. If you have any good sources of info and links to translated handbooks for the various bits it would be appreciated.

Also explanations or links to find out about things like exploding headlights that I have heard about, or is that just another uban myth like gas atacks?

The Daytime Running Lights are just ordinary bulbs which appear to be silvering a bit as they are obviously on all the time. Can these be swapped for LED bulbs without the computer saying NO, if so any good sources?

I have been used to a Mercedes Chassis but now have a Fiat Euro5 2.2 with 4.5tonne Alko Chassis and while driving it home to the South of France got the engine management light come on, then go off, and now just before home come on again. Is this a common thing?

I will be fitting Solar panels but will ask pertinent questions on the appropriate part of the forum later.

Hopefully we haven't made a mistake moving from our LeVoyageur (which we love and have yet to sell) to a Hymer, probably only time will tell.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Good luck with your new purchase Steve.
We deleted the drop-down bed in our Starline S in favour of more cupboard space and greater headroom. If there's only two of you and you don't have grand children to lug about it's a good option.
And when we sold the van the resale value hadn't been affected- in fact it was a feature which our buyers were very impressed with.
Stef.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Cracking looking both inside and out with a sensible amount of lounge space for a medium sized van.

I'm sure you will be very pleased indeed...I would (he says enviously :rolleyes:).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We stupidly sat in the wrong motorhome at the Peterborough show so now are the proud owners of a Hymer B614SL Star Edition without the Front bed but factory fitted cupboards instead. It's four years old but most bits have never been used.

maybe I'm thick.. or reading it wrong..

You bought a 4 year old van that you had never seen before ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi,
As you live in France can't understand why you would buy a Hymer at grossly inflated UK prices.
Also explanations or links to find out about things like exploding headlights that I have heard about, or is that just another uban myth like gas atacks?
Exploding headlamps are not a myth quite common on early vans with Almond Eyes 2007 - 2009 left hand unit can explode due to a manufacturing fault. Any of them can explode if a stone hits them, suggest you make some protective covers for them. See Post #8 in this thread.
The Daytime Running Lights are just ordinary bulbs which appear to be silvering a bit as they are obviously on all the time. Can these be swapped for LED bulbs without the computer saying NO, if so any good sources?
Fairly certain you can swap them for LED's without upsetting the CANBUS.
I have been used to a Mercedes Chassis but now have a Fiat Euro5 2.2 with 4.5tonne Alko Chassis and while driving it home to the South of France got the engine management light come on, then go off, and now just before home come on again. Is this a common thing?
No not common could be a sticky EGR valve need to get some diagnostics on it.
Hopefully we haven't made a mistake moving from our LeVoyageur (which we love and have yet to sell) to a Hymer, probably only time will tell.
May have.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
DRL Swopped to led on 2012/3 van, no issues

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Rory @Forestboy yes it was a difficult decision but travelling more we needed the extra payload.

Hi @scotjimland sorry my attempt at humour, we had no intention of changing but sat in this one at Peterborough which we fell in love with except for being Fiat, went and saw it again test drive and a good crawl over it, so not bought blind and looking at the cooker, oven cassette etc thgey don't look as if ther have ever been used.

Hi @Lenny HB actually about 25% cheaper than France and we toured Belgium and Germany to check prices and quality and got it for the going price over there so I recon about right. We bought it from Bundesvan and although I was a bit unsure at first, the new owners Bob & Sue bent over backwards to give a good service and value. I would certainly recommend them. They actually researched it and advised us to sell ours in France as we would get about 25% more for it here. But we will see if we get a buyer.
It has the "Almond Eye Lamps" or I presume that is what they are with the round ball lense, this is 2012 so hopefully a different batch. Thanks for all your info.

Hi @SandraL thanks for that any idea of a supplier for the bulbs you used.

Thanks all for chirping in, the more info I can get from all the Hymer owners out there the better it will be for us.

Steve

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Congrats on your new van, I think we put some hymer manuals and info in the resources section, have a look in there(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Led bulbs, search on ebay for "ba15s led" . I purchased some with smd on top as well as around the side. When i changed them i noticed the bulb holder was showing signs of heat damage, ie grey plastic holder was going brown.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Steve,

I have a 2007 B544SL and shortly after purchasing it I heard about the 'exploding headlight' stories. Decided to fit Laminate-X film which is used in saloon car racing to minimise the risk of stones shattering the lights. I hope I don't regret this statement but I have not had any problems with the lights.

Recently exchanged the bulbs in the running lights for Led's, work extremely well and of course there is no heat build up in the lens. They are flipping bright as well!

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back