Interesting places along the A20 in France? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We often just blat along the A20 between Toulouse and Orléans, on the posting Oradour sur Glane, the member "SomeoneElse" mentioned the interesting sounding village and aires of St Benoit-du-Sault, which reminded me that there must be other places worth a look, to add interest to the long journey. We have a few aires and campsites that we visit, such as Lamotte Beuvron, Uzerche, Turenne, etc, but would welcome other suggestions, villages etc not just aires.

I didn't want to hijack the Oradour posting so thought I'd start a new thread.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the name check.
We have made lunch stops at Nouan-le-Fuzelier (47.533247, 2.034860). Actually the N2020 as we don't do tolls.
Also there is a dumpstation with free water on the Val de l'Indre services northbound (46.724116, 1.604249).

Details of the junctions with links to details of the towns served on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A20_autoroute

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We like the N2020 too - even though the N20 is FREE along there! - the aire at Lamotte Beuvron is one of my faves and there are some nice restaurants and shops, plus a supermarche where the fuel is usually cheap. Very pretty. La Ferte St Aubin is nice too. Briare isn't that far away from there and is brilliant.

Nouan is quite pleasant but the aire is just parking opposite the railway station, with the N2020 running literally alongside of it. I always think that Salbris looks like a nice place to have a wander round but I don't think there's an aire there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We like the N2020 too - even though the N20 is FREE along there! - the aire at Lamotte Beuvron is one of my faves and there are some nice restaurants and shops, plus a supermarche where the fuel is usually cheap. Very pretty. La Ferte St Aubin is nice too. Briare isn't that far away from there and is brilliant.

Nouan is quite pleasant but the aire is just parking opposite the railway station, with the N2020 running literally alongside of it. I always think that Salbris looks like a nice place to have a wander round but I don't think there's an aire there?
We stayed at Lamotte B just before the rains came, we were parked at the turning point near the service point and the stream, lovely weather, side door open overlooking the stream. Very enjoyable.
We did wonder what it would be like in heavy rain parked there cos the stream was quite high. We had stopped at a supermarked just south of the town, there were horrendous queues, someone said there was a gymkhana on, and we'd not heard of the fuel crisis, but since our tank was on reserve, the next morning we went to back to the Intermarché, no queues, filled up and didn't realize there was a problem till we got to Abbeville. Good job we'd filled up!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I always think that Salbris looks like a nice place to have a wander round but I don't think there's an aire there?
Don't know of an aire in Salbris but there is a very pleasant ACSI campsite beside the lake, Camping de Sologne.

Run by a very pleasant and helpful woman who speaks good English, it has a bar and basic restaurant in mid season.
Unfortunately I heard that it was flooded a couple of weeks ago so may still be closed.

Richard.

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
Yes it is closed until at least end of June, best ring Christine before hand.
Flooded motorhome still has not been recovered from site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back