Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi all,

We are newbies!

We are buying our first MH very soon! Spent lots of time at dealers and looking at different layouts etc and . upped our budget a couple of times already and looking to spend around £30k.

Vehicle length - 6m compact or a bit longer 6.6m? As I've not driven one before and I'm probably being over cautious, but is there really that much of a difference when driving?

Models we have in our sights

Burster Travel Van
Hymer Van 572 or Hymer Van 562, not sure what the difference is.
Burster Brevio T640

Ideally 6m would be good but just wondered about the extra storage with the longer one?

Any advice, help!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We are at 7m as that is max for our drive so the length of van you buy needs to be considered against storage space, layouts you like and drive ability. There is not much difference in driving a longer MH , you soon get used to it, I would consider layouts first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Thank you, that helps; as we like the garage storage which means just a little longer 6.6m.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Payload, not considered too much to be honest, I know its important but just thought 2 adults 2 kids, couple of bikes, some food and water, and we should be ok with that. Happy to take some advice though.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all,

We are newbies!

We are buying our first MH very soon! Spent lots of time at dealers and looking at different layouts etc and . upped our budget a couple of times already and looking to spend around £30k.

Vehicle length - 6m compact or a bit longer 6.6m? As I've not driven one before and I'm probably being over cautious, but is there really that much of a difference when driving?

Models we have in our sights

Burster Travel Van
Hymer Van 572 or Hymer Van 562, not sure what the difference is.
Burster Brevio T640

Ideally 6m would be good but just wondered about the extra storage with the longer one?

Any advice, help!
Hello and welcome! We have the Hobby van and it has a huge garage under the transverse bed! We like it as it's only 6 metres long . We had thought of a PVC ( panel van conversion) but felt it was a little small for our needs at the moment.good luck and the printout that Jim has produced -Motorhome Pre-purchase checklist looks a great help when choosing.
Remember payload is as important as layout and we are on our 3rd van in 7 years so things you think are essential/ necessary turn out not to be sometimes!
Good luck and join the forum for £15 and you will get loads of help before and after your purchase!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hello & welcome.
I've noticed you've already used up your free posts already and are now "read only", so the first bit of advice is pay your £15 subs to become a full member. You'll get that back in spades with cost saving advice.

2 adults, 2 kids, bikes etc could quite easily overload many vans. Dealer quoted payload figures should be taken with a large pinch of salt.
Plenty of threads on here about the topic.
Best advice is get it weighed before you commit because only then will you know what the real payload is.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Payload, not considered too much to be honest, I know its important but just thought 2 adults 2 kids, couple of bikes, some food and water, and we should be ok with that. Happy to take some advice though.
Love that!!! Don't forget out door chairs ,table ,BBQ ,gas bottles ,clothes ,toys ,chocks ,electric hook up cable,tv ,Wellies boots etc etc!!!!! Oh yes and handbags in my case!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Still deliberating on 6m or going longer!
My husband always asks for a test drive which can be nerve wracking but gets the feel of the van . (Surprisingly some dealers are surprised he requests that!)

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Will definitely get a test drive, thanks

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Spent lots of time at dealers and looking at different layouts etc
Don't spend TOO long looking. I've read on here about people taking a couple of years to decide - two years that they could have been out and about enjoying their MH! :)

We are at 7m as that is max for our drive
Good point there. Check the maximum length that you can park at your home.

I measured our drive which was easily long enough for our 7.3m (7.5 with the bike rack), but much longer and I'd have had a problem turning into it. Anyway then I had to pay £3,500 to get it dug out and re surfaced!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the search (but not for too long).

KH

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Drive checked and ok. I want to buy asap its driving me nuts looking, it has consumed me for the last 4 weeks!
I am swithering between a few, a 2007 Hymer Van 572 model, Hymer Van 562 2010 model and Burnster Travel Van 2008, 570G.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Unless your driving licence won't cover you over 3500? I'd most Definately go for a bigger payload van straight off
Internet is full of people paying for upgrades after the fact
Also not all vans can be upgraded significantly but 16" wheels is a good sign

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Am I reading this right, that you are a family of four ?
If so, I'd reconsider opting for a low profile van, a coachbuilt or aclass is far more suitable for a family

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Well really two adults and the occasional grandkid.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
:pink: from Spain. Hope you make your decision soon and get out to enjoy motorhoming.

Off topic, sorry. As Brits helping Spanish friends speak English we laugh at their attempts to pronounce some words BUT we're stumped with the pronunciation of swithering! Is it pronounced with an I as in eye or an I as in in? :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
This is ours transverse bed with single bed from dinette( never used yet!)
image.jpg
Melrose this whit holiday!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back