lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
After leaving Geneva we heading to Annecy for the day then up to Chamonix for a few days, I posted last week that I thought Interlaken was stunning well this beats it in a different kind of way.

Campsite is a bit pricey at €42 a night with 5 amp EHU and just about enough room to pitch our van and awning. The awning is actually touching the hedge, apart from that it's a lovely site in a stunning location. Today we went on the cable car up to the Void on the Aiguille de Midi, some might say it was a tad expensive at £190 for 4 but in my opinion well worth the money as it was truly an amazing experience. We got to a total of 3850M and could feel the effects of altitude in my legs climbing the staircases at the top.
Photos won't do it justice
This is us in the Void a glass box at 3850M high with a 1000M vertical below the floor
image.png

Half way up thought we'd walk to save money :)
image.png

image.png

Chamonix down below
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

This cable car takes you from France into Italy
image.png

Back down to safety
image.png

image.png

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Love Chamonix. Know exactly what you mean about feeling the altitude in your legs.
Thought I had our next trip sorted, rethinking it now. That's the problem with this forum, too many ideas. :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Looks stunning but why are you all wearing bedroom slippers standing in that glass box ?
Were they provided to stop scratching ? if so good idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Beautiful, only a 1000 meters below the summit of the Blanc and within touching distance you could have bagged it while you were up there
Did you walk down onto the Col, certainly gone up in price since I was there but even so you can't put a price on what you can see and experience up there(y)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We've been twice and are taking two of the grandkids end of July.
It's an amazing experience and should be on everyone's bucket list.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks stunning but why are you all wearing bedroom slippers standing in that glass box ?
Were they provided to stop scratching ? if so good idea
Yes they supply the slippers and your not allowed on the glass with rucksacks, phones or cameras just incase you drop them and scratch the glass.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We've been twice and are taking two of the grandkids end of July.
It's an amazing experience and should be on everyone's bucket list.

They will love it, make sure you pay the extra €2 for a day pass rather than just a return as the day pass gets you on a couple of extra things and also means if your up first thing and views aren't great you can go back up later when sky has cleared.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Beautiful, only a 1000 meters below the summit of the Blanc and within touching distance you could have bagged it while you were up there
Did you walk down onto the Col, certainly gone up in price since I was there but even so you can't put a price on what you can see and experience up there(y)

Yes I ran up to Mont Blanc while the rest had a seat :), we had to come down after about 45 mins as Rhys wasn't feeling well and just as we did the clouds started to come in so perfect timing.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes I ran up to Mont Blanc while the rest had a seat :), we had to come down after about 45 mins as Rhys wasn't feeling well and just as we did the clouds started to come in so perfect timing.
Bet that was a tough run, I camped on the Col doing some altitude training and on the cable car back in the morning I was as sick as a dog into my hat, punters in the car weren't happy
Doesn't matter how fit you are with altitude it can affect anyone and going from Chamonix to 4000 meters so quick is a shock to the system, yon feel it straight away but as you know well worth the effort (y)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
They will love it, make sure you pay the extra €2 for a day pass rather than just a return as the day pass gets you on a couple of extra things and also means if your up first thing and views aren't great you can go back up later when sky has cleared.

Do you have a link or name of ticket/pass you bought ? We want to go over to Helbronner while we are up there. Want to make sure we get the right ticket.
Thinking of going up first think to avoid the crowds.
Roll on 5 weeks on Saturday.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We love Chamonix too. We're stopping there for a couple of days on our way to Italy next month.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do you have a link or name of ticket/pass you bought ? We want to go over to Helbronner while we are up there. Want to make sure we get the right ticket.
Thinking of going up first think to avoid the crowds.
Roll on 5 weeks on Saturday.
If you buy just the up and down ticket it's €58 if you get the day ticket it's €61 and if you want to do the Helbronner on top I think it was €84 you just bu them from the same ticket office at the bottom. I don't have a link but if you check the Aiguille du Midi website or type into the void in google it will take you there.

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
Its a part of the world I know well. If you have a spare couple of days take the D902 Route des Grandes Alpes up to Geneva .. unless of course that's the route that you took outbound !! Enjoy !!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just coming around slowly after passing out...

€42 PER NIGHT.

OMG.

JJ :cool:

The aire - just part of the main car park - is €13 per 24 hours. Not aware of any freeloading spots close enough to be useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back