Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was working away yesterday putting bits on my new van and I was aware of a niff coming from the area nearby, a bit eau de shopdoorway on a Saturday night. It came and went and I looked for the source, expecting to find somebody had relieved themselves in my gateway, but no , the smell was not there. This smell came and went all day and it was a bit pervasive and annoying as I could not find the source.
It struck me later on the the smell of decomposing old urine was probably the Adblue (urea) in the engine compartment venting off as the temperature rose the hotter it got the more the smell. I checked to tank and it was tightish so it must come from the exhaust pipe as I could not figure anywhere else that it could be coming from. It would have been OK, but the area was sheltered with high fencing around it so it was a draught less suntrap. At least I know what to expect now. Phew!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was working away yesterday putting bits on my new van and I was aware of a niff coming from the area nearby, a bit eau de shopdoorway on a Saturday night. It came and went and I looked for the source, expecting to find somebody had relieved themselves in my gateway, but no , the smell was not there. This smell came and went all day and it was a bit pervasive and annoying as I could not find the source.
It struck me later on the the smell of decomposing old urine was probably the Adblue (urea) in the engine compartment venting off as the temperature rose the hotter it got the more the smell. I checked to tank and it was tightish so it must come from the exhaust pipe as I could not figure anywhere else that it could be coming from. It would have been OK, but the area was sheltered with high fencing around it so it was a draught less suntrap. At least I know what to expect now. Phew!
Welcome to the smelly world of Euro 6 diesels! (y):D

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Are you sure it wasn't coming from the vans grey waste pipes/tanks, maybe some waste/water stuck after recent use, just a thought after something similar to me happened

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Are you sure it wasn't coming from the vans grey waste pipes/tanks, maybe some waste/water stuck after recent use, just a thought after something similar to me happened
The van is new and nothing other than water was in there yet, No it was the urea. old piss just like shop door ways in un nice areas of town. The cap gave it away when I loosened it.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'd send it back to the dealer if it smells like a tramp been dossing in it.
Even Swift / Elldis smell fragrant for a few months until that musty smell appears

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have you changed your " Tenna for men" recently?

Just askin........ :imoutahere:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
We have had our euro6 adblue mercedes for five months never smelt anything iffy or wiffy, keep it in a tin shed that has been very warm inside in the recent hot weather we have had here on Anglesey (y).
Might be worth getting a Merc dealer to have a quick look at it if things don't improve when you have put a few miles on the clock.

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Could be your overflow is blocked and it has blown the pressure relief valve in the cap or tried to tank overfilled used to get that on the trucks.
Best get it checked at chassis dealers to save further Ponty pong.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Take it back to the dealer.
400 miles each way! I will put up with it now I know what it is, the Adblue tank was filled right up so a bit of airspace will improve things.
New smell, it is a bit like when we all smelt catalytic convertors at start up, in the morning for the first time, they stunk too.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you changed your " Tenna for men" recently?

Just askin........ :imoutahere:
Am I That bad then? I kept wondering why people drifted away when I try to be sociable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back