Adhesive/sealant use inside fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Can anyone advise please - I'm trying to join two pipes of slightly unequal diameters together (because I broke the top off the new water pump when fitting it!) as shown on the photo but having trouble getting a airtight seal. The non-return valve is directly above the reich pump. Hence we're:
a) losing pressure from the taps which consequently takes a little while to build back up, and
b) the air in the system is causing the hot water taps to splurt and cough before water is drawn back through the boiler.
Question - are there any sealants/adhesives which are safe to use inside the fresh water tank since they will come into contact with the water (I'm assuming bathroom silicon sealant is not suitable?). Are stainless steel worm drive jubilee type clips suitable inside a tank?

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_9706.JPG
    IMG_9706.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 68
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's the black and blue pipes that leak where they're joined use 4 tie-wraps with their buckles at 90 degree intervals around the pipe to prevent leaks at the buckle 'flat-spots'. Or use a strip of cling film wrapped round the black pipe several times to increase its diameter and to act as a gasket. If the reason for doing this is a broken spigot on the one-way valve IIRC the valve can be removed & a new one fitted without damaging the pump. Mine is simply pushed hard onto the plain pump outlet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at Leisure Shop Direct. They have the pump at £33.95 (with the NRV) and if you scroll down, you will see the screw collets (connectors) to seal the pipe to the pump and spigot in the tank cap (53p each).
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-water-pump/reich-pumps

Then you need some 10mm internal diameter braided hose. Ideally, it needs to be about 17mm outside diameter but I could only find 16mm. I had to pack the outside slightly with PTFE plumbing tape to keep the screw collets secure. I got the pipe here:
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=6#48

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Any twin part epoxy should work but a new pump is only 40 quid not worth the hassle of trying to fix it.
Thanks Lenny, I know, I should bite the bullet and just buy (yet another) pump - I think I'm actually coming to this conclusion. Was holding back cos the pump I've broken the top off 'was' only just bought. But, will put it down to experience and still cheaper than taking it to a repair guy.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
If it's the black and blue pipes that leak where they're joined use 4 tie-wraps with their buckles at 90 degree intervals around the pipe to prevent leaks at the buckle 'flat-spots'. Or use a strip of cling film wrapped round the black pipe several times to increase its diameter and to act as a gasket. If the reason for doing this is a broken spigot on the one-way valve IIRC the valve can be removed & a new one fitted without damaging the pump. Mine is simply pushed hard onto the plain pump outlet.

Thanks Tony. On this pump the NRV was (it say 'was' cos it isn't any more) not just pushed down onto the spigot of the pump but also glued. Managed to free and remove the NRV from the pump but the spigot is shorter than that on the old pump and not long enough to attach the Reich 'push-fit' NRV from the old pump.
Therefore as said, will invest in another new pump - least I have this one as the spare which will never be used - probably!
Thanks again,

John

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at Leisure Shop Direct. They have the pump at £33.95 (with the NRV) and if you scroll down, you will see the screw collets (connectors) to seal the pipe to the pump and spigot in the tank cap (53p each).
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-water-pump/reich-pumps

Then you need some 10mm internal diameter braided hose. Ideally, it needs to be about 17mm outside diameter but I could only find 16mm. I had to pack the outside slightly with PTFE plumbing tape to keep the screw collets secure. I got the pipe here:
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=6#48

Thanks Jean-Luc,
Think I've come to that conclusion - there's getting to be too many joints in this current arrangement.
The advise above from Tony of using 2-part epoxy, 4 cable ties or cling film is well received though and I'll bear this in mind for future repairs.

Good news is that I have a 5% discount voucher from Leisureshopdirect so that will soften the blow a little - and if Wales win today I'll consider I've had a good day!

Thanks again.
John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Jean-Luc,
Think I've come to that conclusion - there's getting to be too many joints in this current arrangement.
The advise above from Tony of using 2-part epoxy, 4 cable ties or cling film is well received though and I'll bear this in mind for future repairs.

Good news is that I have a 5% discount voucher from Leisureshopdirect so that will soften the blow a little - and if Wales win today I'll consider I've had a good day!

Thanks again.
John
This is what I have used several times, and never had a fail !

http://www.inest.co.uk/range.asp?typeid=2978&sizeID=&brand=R B Shelving

It can be used on wet surfaces.. even under water !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used to use stuff called ( from memory ) Atmosphere. It is similar to epoxy but again can be used on wet surfaces etc.
Plumbers used to use it to repair leaking pipes that were still live

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back