LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, our road tax is due at the end of September, which is usually a major problem because we go abroad in August. Can anyone tell me how easy/legal it is to leave the motorhome untaxed on our drive until February when we will be going back to Spain?

Taxing it at that time will mean we wont have the problem of being away when it is due again.

I understand there is something called SORN but dont know how easy this is, has anyone done this in the past?

Mike

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Hi Mike,

Have at look at the yellow section on your renewal notice. If you didn't want to do it online you could always take your V11 into a Post Office branch and they'll complete it for you. The DVLA will then send you an acknowledgement letter. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you have a computer, go to the website, and sorn it on line, donw in less than 5 mins, perfectly legal to leave it sorn on your own drive.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its very easy to sorn on line
A tip if you do
do not use the tax reminder form serial number, if you do, you won't be able to tax it with the reminder, as using it to sorn cancels it, and you will have to fill forms in at the PO
use the V5 Number instead:thumb:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
go on line and sorn it off , its easy we do it with our car when we go away its on the dvla site :Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorn online no problem, parking on your drive whilst SORN no problem, providing you do own your drive and it is parked within your property, not on any part of the drive approaching the house that crosses public land/verge etc or you could be clamped, see thread clamped on own drive.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Sorn is very easy on line - we regularly Sorn our old land rovers on line one word of caution though keep the automatic response and then check that they send you a letter of confirmation of Sorn within 4 weeks - that is the legal document - nothing else will do - twice now I had had to chase DVLA on this and once they tried to fine me for non compliance - I won in the end but only because I chased them and kept records

May 22, 2008
Funster No
We usually SORN our car if we plan to be away in the van for a long period, I usually send the tax disc and Sorn form together, the vehicle must be kept off of public areas and it's ok on your property,drive, we usually come home to a cheque from DVLC for unused months on the tax disc, BE WARNED if you don't tax or sorn your vehicle there is an £80 pound fine when you do try and re-tax.:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
As pointed out in most posts you can SORN online and its very simple and quick done.

Whatever you do though make sure its kept fully insured!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
As everyone has said, very easy to SORN. You have to make sure to declare SORN or tax it though. Make sure you receive the confirmation email and or letter depending on whether you do it on-line or Post Office. Keep this as in the past I declared a motorbike SORN. I didn't receive confirmation, but instead a few months later a fine for £80....:cry:The tax was only £60 for the year....go figure!!!:Angry::Angry:
Contested but still had to pay, although managed to get it halved.
You can take V5 to post office when you come to tax it again. They'll just scan the barcode on it.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thats it for this year then,no scotland then .just mike and is sky football. :Smile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
As pointed out in most posts you can SORN online and its very simple and quick done.

Whatever you do though make sure its kept fully insured!

I didn't think that your vehicle would be insured [ or could be insured ] with no tax as it wouldn't be road legal or am I wrong again ????????:Eeek::Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a vehicle can be insured and does not have to have road fund licence . if not on road. some can be insured and excempt from road fund licence. same as mot , some can be excempt in fact lots are . insurance will payout if you are mot excempt. you enter into another world of dvla if you want to go there .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
may be worth contacting your insurance co and telling them you wont be using the motorhome until your return but want cover to continue.

this sometimes gets you a discount/refund depending on your ins co.

cant remember the correct terminology but basicily its like fire and theft cover....you dont need the third party bit or personal cover if fully comp as you aint driving it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
thats it for this year then,no scotland then .just mike and is sky football. :Smile:

Well, we thought about Scotland, but your experiences of being stuck at the top of a hill with floods either side made us sit back and consider if we really did want to be away with a small and largely untrained puppy; in a motorhome; in the wind, rain etc etc.

Hi David and Brenda,

We have decided that we would be better served staying in the static at Reighton; in the warm; and going home occasionally - very occasionally!

Having decided that, it makes sense to tax the motorhome in March so we don't have the problems of going into Doncaster or Sheffield to tax it early - plus it will save us 6 months tax, prior going to Spain for 3 months!

We always keep the motorhome insured - for some reason you can suspend the insurance on a car (just keeping 3rd party fire and theft) but you can't suspend a motorhome insurance! I wonder why that is??

When are you setting off for the east coast??

Mike and Ginny

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I didn't think that your vehicle would be insured [ or could be insured ] with no tax as it wouldn't be road legal or am I wrong again ????????:Eeek::Eeek:
It just makes sense to insure. If it gets stolen then it's covered.
Think of it like this. Would you leave your house and contents uninsured simply because you are going away on holiday and your home is standing empty?

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
You just need to check your drive isn't part of the highway. Apparently some are.:whatthe:

Its usually quite obvious where the highway begins and your drive ends. On mine 2 foot in from the top of the drive there is a concrete divider that goes across the drive and all drives in the street. All the lamp posts are in this line (at the top of gardens) and any bushes that are there aswell are cut by the council every year or so.

Derek

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back