Bike rack worries (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
I have a KTM e-bike that weighs 22kg and a 2 bike Thule rack on the van that takes a total load of 50kg (but the specs say 19 kg per bike). I would only ever carry one bike. Is it dangerous to use it? With apologies for a stupid question from a 'wet behind the ears' motorhomer!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As said.. no problem..

Put the bike on the rail closest to the van wall.. that minimises the cantilever force.

be careful going over speed bumps .. take them nice and slow ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Ours say 60kg limit. We have 2 bikes. Electric with the batteries out.each weigh around 19 kilo.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We have 2 e-bikes on our rear bike rack, together, with fabric panniers, but without the batteries, weigh about 50kg. Our bike rack is rated at 60kg.
At the end of our last 3 month trip away I found that there was some crazing on the gel coating on the roof in line with the bike rack fittings.
I took it to a local Rapido repair place and have been assured that it is nothing to do with the weight of the bikes.
But what I have discovered on reading the leaflet that came with the bike rack is that when loaded the manufactures recommend that you shouldn't drive over 90kph and to reduce speed when it is windy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I found that there was some crazing on the gel coating on the roof in line with the bike rack fittings.
I took it to a local Rapido repair place and have been assured that it is nothing to do with the weight of the bikes.

so what was the explanation ?

speed won't do any damage but dynamic loads can.. however..
there was a long thread about this and when I suggested that dynamic loads can cause damage I was told I was talking rubbish..that if the maker says it's ok to .. no worries..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bike-racks-and-weight-limits.130241/

Last edited:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
so what was the explanation ?

speed won't do any damage but dynamic loads can.. however..
there was a long thread about this and when I suggested that dynamic loads can cause damage I was told I was talking rubbish..that if the maker says it's ok to .. no worries..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bike-racks-and-weight-limits.130241/
What? The explanation to the crazing?
I have explained in another thread.
But apparently it is due to the fact that the Rapido roof, and I assume many other makes are the same, have a floating roof i.e. Not attatched to the solid wood structure beneath. So, under certain conditions things like solar panels, which are stuck to the roof, can bounce/ vibrate causing the gel coat to crack.
I have to say that I took a little convincing, but the guy that runs the repair shop is an ex employee of Rapido. He assured me that the load on the bike rack was not the cause.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What? The explanation to the crazing?
I have explained in another thread.
But apparently it is due to the fact that the Rapido roof, and I assume many other makes are the same, have a floating roof i.e. Not attatched to the solid wood structure beneath. So, under certain conditions things like solar panels, which are stuck to the roof, can bounce/ vibrate causing the gel coat to crack.
I have to say that I took a little convincing, but the guy that runs the repair shop is an ex employee of Rapido. He assured me that the load on the bike rack was not the cause.
Yes it's not the cause because the roof skin isn't fastened to the back wall it just hangs over it
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it's not the cause because the roof skin isn't fastened to the back wall it just hangs over it
View attachment 106974 View attachment 106975

Hi Techno,
After a lot of soul searching and research we've finally gone out this afternoon and bought ourselves 2 KTM e-bikes (Macina Sport 10 CX5). (stated as 21.7Kg each inc batteries). They'll be on the back of our 'van carried on a Thule 'Sport G2' carrier, with a 50Kg max overall load but 19Kg max per bike load (not sure I understand that unless the max load also includes the weight of the rack 7.9Kg?). I'll be checking on how the rack is actually attached to the back of the Motorhome - just for reassurance.
I'm interested in the photo you've posted showing the bike cover - it looks a lot more substantial than our previous Fiamma cover which has now torn. What make is it please and can you recommend it?
Also, as one with limited/no experience of carrying heavier bikes (e-bikes), I'd be interested in any comments you have re our bikes/load situation please.

Thanks
John

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a Taylormade two slit cover.

Bikes should be fine with or without batteries but better without for obvious reasons.
Assuming the rack is fitted correctly

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
It's a Taylormade two slit cover.

Bikes should be fine with or without batteries but better without for obvious reasons.
Assuming the rack is fitted correctly

OK, thanks for the quick reply Andy, much appreciated.
Looking at earlier photos of the 'van (Hymer B654) - before the rack was fitted, there were pre-installed fixing points that have been utilised when fittimg the rack. Therefore I'm thinking it's probably ok but will check bolts for tightness,

Thanks
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back