crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i don't understand this maybe someone can help, I plug the orange cable into a socket in the garage and the MH it runs a kettle and a T.V when I use the sockets in the MH, if I plug in a hoover or anything else it wont turn on, any idea what going on, anyone :confused:

thanks in advance

crabs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the sockets power one appliance they will power any appliance, providing it isn't rated higher than the breaker in the fuse box.
Are you trying the same socket for all items.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
the circuit breakers are on and I have tried both sockets to run the other items, the T.V works fine and the kettle boils from both sockets, very odd I cant work it out papa if the hoover was higher rated than the fuse box it would not boil the kettle, as boiling water from cold draws more power, ummm I scratch my head it confusing me, the mili amp breakers don't drop out , all very strange

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you tried the Hoover etc in the house ?
I don't mean last time it was used....I mean try it now.

It simply isn't possible to run one item but not another from the same aupply unless that appliance is faulty.

Oh, cold water doesn't draw a higher current....it simply takes longer to boil.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
reverse polarity won't affect a vacuum cleaner.. (or anything else for that matter) .. I wish all this nonsense could be put to bed..

as papa said.... the vacuum cleaner has a broken cable, or perhaps a loose connection on the plug .. quite common on flexible cables

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
wife used the hoover right after I tried it out and it worked fine, and you correct papa cold water does take longer to boil I meant to say when boiling water it draws more power, o_O still confused any other ideas members

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I agree all very odd, yes have used the hoover indoors it was fine jenny and mitch,

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
i don't understand this maybe someone can help, I plug the orange cable into a socket in the garage and the MH it runs a kettle and a T.V when I use the sockets in the MH, if I plug in a hoover or anything else it wont turn on, any idea what going on, anyone :confused:

thanks in advance

crabs

Check the wiring connections in the hoover plug - they may be loose.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Crabman - are you trying the hoover in the same socket as the kettle? Reason for asking is that in our van we have some sockets wired into the mains and some the inverter. It's an easy thing to do to plug into the wrong one, I do it all the time!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hoover would still run on an inverter, maybe run hot but it would run...and if it can boil a kettle it isn't too small for a Hoover.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might be the sockets not allowing the hoover plug to make a good connection. Some sockets are pushed back a bit by the plug. You could see if a short extension lead with a different shaped plug makes any difference.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It might be the sockets not allowing the hoover plug to make a good connection. Some sockets are pushed back a bit by the plug. You could see if a short extension lead with a different shaped plug makes any difference.
Sockets and plugs have to meet CE or BS regulations.....they cannot be so different as to NOT work.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If Hoover's won't work on reversed polarity then Hoover don't sell anything on the European mainland...Half of Europe is reverse polarity, but unlike the UK they don't care
All of Europe has the opportunity to have live/neutral reverse, but the reason they don't care is many have dual pole circuit breakers thus removing the potential for live equipment when the breaker is open

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All of Europe has the opportunity to have live/neutral reverse, but the reason they don't care is many have dual pole circuit breakers thus removing the potential for live equipment when the breaker is open
Exactly....and Hoover's still work regardless

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
what I have done is got in touch with a sparks who knows about these things ( I hope) waiting for him to get back to me, i will try to remember to post what he says, I did put a metal chair in it and wired it up sat the Mother in Law in it and turned it on, not even a single tingle did she get I am cursed :(

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@crabman When we had the caravan we had a hoover that used to trip the breaker every time we turned it on, luckily it had a variable speed motor and if we started on low speed and then speeded it up it would be ok. It must have been pulling a big load at start up. Could this have something to do with the problem?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
@crabman When we had the caravan we had a hoover that used to trip the breaker every time we turned it on, luckily it had a variable speed motor and if we started on low speed and then speeded it up it would be ok. It must have been pulling a big load at start up. Could this have something to do with the problem?
No....because the breaker doesn't trip at any time.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@pappajohn I was trying to say what a big load some hoovers can use on startup, i wouldnt think he has a caravan site breaker socket in his garage.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
no big problem folks I will get the sparks to check it out, thanks for the replies all the same

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
yes i will papa come back with the answer, its a new MH to me so I could be at fault maybe not turning a switch or something as simple as that, you never know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back