LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Can anybody tell me how to remove the "Stainless Wheeltrims" from my RV ?

Dont seem to pull off like a normal plastic car type..

Front have what appear to be 10 studs/nuts.
And the rear has 10 as well but for reasons being twin rear wheels they are a different shape.

Are the ten studs covering the actual wheel nuts or just for show ?

Think I may have located a spare wheel,, I have a brand new tyre in the boot/locker but would be happier if it was on a wheel. :thumb:

Or should I not bother as I would not be able to change the wheel and would have to contact the RAC.. :RollEyes:

Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Mo,

its just possible that a couple of the nuts/studs are actually holding the covers on while the rest are sticking through the trim.

both my kontiki and Hilux have this type and you must remove these two before the trim will come off then the rest to remove the wheel.

just an idea.

not sure about the tyre but i dont think the rac will change a tyre at the roadside....could be wrong at your size RV though.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can anybody tell me how to remove the "Stainless Wheeltrims" from my RV ?

Dont seem to pull off like a normal plastic car type..

Front have what appear to be 10 studs/nuts.
And the rear has 10 as well but for reasons being twin rear wheels they are a different shape.

Are the ten studs covering the actual wheel nuts or just for show ?

Think I may have located a spare wheel,, I have a brand new tyre in the boot/locker but would be happier if it was on a wheel. :thumb:

Or should I not bother as I would not be able to change the wheel and would have to contact the RAC.. :RollEyes:

Thanks.

Hi Mo two of the studs are different to the rest, identified by little notches on two of the flats.find a socket to fit these and remove, the trim will then come off Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi old-mo. on my rv it has got stainless covers over each wheel nut which have to be removed first then you have to remove 2 wheel nuts that hold the wheel trim on to the hubs ,your front and rear wheels are the same ,just turned round ,which is why if you have the proper wheel liners fitted the rear liner is much deeper,but still atatched in the same way but the rear wheels will also have a hub cover covering the half shaft ,this should also come of when you undo the same two wheel nuts.hope this helps .steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
hi Mo,

its just possible that a couple of the nuts/studs are actually holding the covers on while the rest are sticking through the trim.

both my kontiki and Hilux have this type and you must remove these two before the trim will come off then the rest to remove the wheel.

just an idea.

not sure about the tyre but i dont think the rac will change a tyre at the roadside....could be wrong at your size RV though.

Thanks pappajohn,,, two or three do unscrew but all that is behind them is plastic thready bits, which incidently are loose and look as if they could drop down behind the trim,, the others look as if they are moulded into the trim/s. :Sad:

Thanks.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks "Larrynwin",, I will have a look tomorrow and give that a try.. :thumb:

Thanks also "Buyer". :thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi reading you further replies it is possible that you have aftermarket trims fitted. are there about 4 screws around the edge of the trim close to the tyre.if so you may find that the nuts that look like they hold the wheel on are not in fact covering the nuts but are just for show ,you have to undo the screws around the rim,these sometimes will not undo but will turn the nuts inside the plastic retainers atatched to a metal ring that fits inside the wheel rim if this happens you will have no choise other than to lever the trim off very carefully the trim will then come off ,you will then have to refit some captive nuts to be able to refit the trim .i know this through experience because i had this type trim fitted to a previous rv and they had to be removed every year for its mot.steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Cheers "Buyer",, No screws.

Larrynwin,s explanation seems to be the one,, two notches on two of the studs. :thumb:

But I have not got a big enough socket to fit at the moment, Will get one today and give it a go.

Thanks.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

Larrynwin,s explanation seems to be the one,, two notches on two of the studs. :thumb:

But I have not got a big enough socket to fit at the moment, Will get one today and give it a go.

Thanks.

:Sad: I had the same problem when I had a blow out in the USA. I DID have a pair of pliers to pull off the 2 cover nuts though:-

FloridatoOrlando004-1.jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Thanks.
Now your cooking:thumb:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi have a look in your lockers, you may find a "T" bar with a socket on the end.

Olley

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi have a look in your lockers, you may find a "T" bar with a socket on the end.

Olley

Hi Olley,, Larrynwin was right, been an got a socket now,, so that`sorted.:thumb:

No tools or anything with it,, so will have to buy as I go along.. :Sad:

Only got 5 studs "Johnsandywhite" not ten like that one in your photo..

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi Olley,, Larrynwin was right, been an got a socket now,, so that`sorted.:thumb:

:roflmto: They still work the same Maurice. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Job jobbed Mo, next thing you will need is a big torque wrench for the nuts

Larry

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
On my RV there are several notched wheel nut covers that unscrew to reveal the real wheel nuts, there are round ones that are attached to the stainless steel trim!

See here!

2wd5wkg.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Job jobbed Mo, next thing you will need is a big torque wrench for the nuts

Larry

Will 21 stone of wife standing on the wrench be about right. :winky::ROFLMAO:

On my RV there are several notched wheel nut covers that unscrew to reveal the real wheel nuts, there are round ones that are attached to the stainless steel trim!

Regards Pat

Mine are all nut shape,, spose them is the posh ones.. :winky:::bigsmile:

Just waiting to get the wheel sorted now Pat,, then a jack,, then a wrench,, then a torque wrench,, then some wheel wedges,, then borrow some money so I can go away for a weekend,, :ROFLMAO:

Never ending..:cry:

Thanks Guy`s. for all your help. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Will 21 stone of wife standing on the wrench be about right. :winky::ROFLMAO:

Mine are all nut shape,, spose them is the posh ones.. :winky:::bigsmile:

Just waiting to get the wheel sorted now Pat,, then a jack,, then a wrench,, then a torque wrench,, then some wheel wedges,, then borrow some money so I can go away for a weekend,, :ROFLMAO:

Never ending..:cry:

Thanks Guy`s. for all your help. :thumb:
Has she poked you in the eye yet for telling us her weight :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just a reminder,if you go to spain .if your vehicle is over 3,500kg you should be carrying and using chocks if parked on a slope.its all in momo,s paperwork. best have some on board beat the cops if they ask. cheers alan.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The only chocs on board at the moment are cadburys :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its all on the instructions 08/v-74 that momo posted last year. i have never been asked but it does seem one the traffico could pull when they need a few bob for xmas.its on page 4.better to be one step ahead of spanish police dont you think. even better to be no where near them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back