Warning... Walking your dog on hot pavements.. ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A friend of mine lives in Fuengirola, Spain.

.. this was lifted from his Facebook

It's getting hotter outside every day. These pictures are the result of a dog being walked on pavement in 80°F. It doesn’t seem like it would be too hot does it?

Before you take your dog for a walk, take off your shoes & stand on the pavement. If it's too hot for you, it's too hot for your dog.

Let's keep our furbabies safe this summer.

13321693_10207812562086612_2816663958276037194_n.jpg
13339432_10207812561926608_2550883558960736142_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Or, place the back of your hand on the pavement for 5 seconds (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last week on the beach at Mojacar a dog tried to climb onto Martin's feet to get its paws off the sand! Eventually it ran, sort of hopping, into the sea. Don't know if it's owners were aware of the temperature of the sand. They, like us, were wearing shoes.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Poor doggies,people just don't realise do they? We need shoes on hot pavements or indeed gravel but expect pooches to just do it. Our susie never liked gravel.I never thought of hot pavements either to be fair.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I do know that on really hot days, (and when crossing the road), your dog can get stuck in melting asphalt. The advice is to leave it there until night time, then chisel the whole hound out with a jackhammer. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
You beat me to it....

Our Tootles has been very mischievous of late....:devil:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You beat me to it....

Our Tootles has been very mischievous of late....:devil:

Not me!! :eek: You must have me mixed up with another who has a similar sounding name. Dux maybe??

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Madness to walk them in that kind of heat, not just for their feet, they can't take their coats off either!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

I'm the same, and it's not great for their joints either.
Talking of dog walking in heat, my hatred towards people either jogging or cycling with dogs running behind is growing, it's been hot here in Somerset for a couple of weeks and this week I saw a woman jogging with 2 long haired German shepherds that were panting like mad, why would you run or cycle with a dog, drives me mad

?

Deleted User
I do know that on really hot days, (and when crossing the road), your dog can get stuck in melting asphalt. The advice is to leave it there until night time, then chisel the whole hound out with a jackhammer. (y)

You must have a fat dog to get stuck. Mines just whimpers and runs over it to the closest puddle. 9 times out of ten the puddles evaporate so she has to make do with the self made warm puddles at the lamp posts.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Madness to walk them in that kind of heat,

couldn't agree more.. no one was suggesting we should..

it was a warning, particularly for those who take our dogs abroad, that even at 80f .. or 26c .. asphalt can get hot enough to burn a dog's paws.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ouch. Poor dog I hope the owner got it some painkillers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I tried walking barefoot on a pavement in south Africa.......managed for about 5 minutes.
I would think it's like walking on broken glass.

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
To be honest no responsible dog owner would dream of walking their dog in 80f degrees on pavements or elsewhere, they should be done for animal cruelty, as well as the burns on the pads they are at high risk of heatstroke too, they are unable to take off their fur coats like us :doh: they just have to suffer being dragged around by a stupid owner:swear2: !!!! I always walk mine early morning and evening when its cooler as would any responsible dog owner.

Silvia

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To be honest no responsible dog owner would dream of walking their dog in 80f degrees on pavements or elsewhere, they should be done for animal cruelty,

that's a bit harsh Silvia

I am sure the owner isn't a cruel person and loves her dog as much as anyone else.. Without knowing the owner and the exact circumstances how can you make such a judgement. ?

It may well have been early morning or late evening.. asphalt can hold heat for many hours.. sun gone down, yet pavement still hot..

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Well maybe it does sound a bit harsh, but I still stand by what I said, If someone hasn't got the common sense to refrain from walking their dogs in really hot weather then they should'nt have a dog in the first place simples.

Silvia

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If someone hasn't got the common sense to refrain from walking their dogs in really hot weather then they should'nt have a dog in the first place simples.
??????? As long as the dog is hydrated, not left banged up in a car, the owner carries a water bottle, walks the dog on grass, and (preferably) takes the dog for a swim in tepid waters, I dont see a problem.
If more owners thought of what they themselves would require in such conditions, (abet they aren't wearing a fur coat), then tailored those needs to their pet, fair does. I mean, how do wild dogs in hot countries survive? Most dogs will moult their winter coats long before summer anyway. :)

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
??????? As long as the dog is hydrated, not left banged up in a car, the owner carries a water bottle, walks the dog on grass, and (preferably) takes the dog for a swim in tepid waters, I dont see a problem.
If more owners thought of what they themselves would require in such conditions, (abet they aren't wearing a fur coat), then tailored those needs to their pet, fair does. I mean, how do wild dogs in hot countries survive? Most dogs will moult their winter coats long before summer anyway. :)

Yes I agree, but the dog wasn't walked on grass, and if it was left in a hot car then it the owner would be done for animal cruelty..so whats the difference if its walked on a pavement in red hot weather!!!! that's animal cruelty...look at the poor dogs pads, I can't justify that as been a careful owner with common sense.
Silvia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back