Suggestions for used motorhome (1 Viewer)

Janeymonica

Free Member
Jan 17, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Buying one soon
Hi,

We are looking to buy our first motorhome for an initial 3 month tour of Europe. Its for my husband, our 8 month old and I so we need at least 3 belted seats.

We are thinking of getting a 6 berth motorhome and like the rear U shape lounge with the front dinette.

It needs to have a MGW under 3,500kg due to license restrictions. Our budget is 20-25,000 pounds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for vehicles which may meet our needs?

What is the best way to work out a particular model's MGW if its not listed in the ad?

Thanks very much!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You are unlikely to get a usable 6 berth under 3500kg. There might be a few out there but not many.

If you don't need to sleep 6 why bother trying to? You'll find it much easier to find a 4 berth with a U shaped lounge that works at 3500.

If the max weight isn't in the ad just ask the question. There's no way you can work it out. Just because a van came out of the factory at a particular weight doesn't mean it's still at that weight.

Can't recommend any particular vans I'm afraid. We like the opposite: a fixed island bed is a must for us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Janeymonica

Free Member
Jan 17, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Buying one soon
Cheers Nick, we were thinking we needed the extra space so that we could still have some space when baby is sleeping at the back, but maybe that's not necessary after all - husband is googling 4 berth options as type!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cheers Nick, we were thinking we needed the extra space so that we could still have some space when baby is sleeping at the back, but maybe that's not necessary after all - husband is googling 4 berth options as type!

Also remember that you need to take any quoted MIRO weights and payloads with a massive pinch of salt.

Any dealer that says they can sell you a 3500kg 6 berth with an 800kg payload is almost certainly lying through their teeth (y)

Insist on a new/very recent weigh bridge ticket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Janeymonica

Free Member
Jan 17, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Buying one soon
Also remember that you need to take any quoted MIRO weights and payloads with a massive pinch of salt.

Any dealer that says they can sell you a 3500kg 6 berth with an 800kg payload is almost certainly lying through their teeth (y)

Insist on a new/very recent weigh bridge ticket.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the advice!

Just looking online I can't find any 4 berth vehicles with 3 (or more) travelling seats which also have a u shape rear lounge. I'm mainly looking on autotrader at the moment.

Can you explain a little more about the layout you've suggested or link to one?

Cheers!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the advice!

Just looking online I can't find any 4 berth vehicles with 3 (or more) travelling seats which also have a u shape rear lounge. I'm mainly looking on autotrader at the moment.

Can you explain a little more about the layout you've suggested or link to one?

Cheers!

We prefer a fixed bed because I can't be doing with faffing around building a bed every night and also we can seperate the bedroom from the rest of the van with a proper door. This keeps the dogs out and also provides some privacy if someone is sleeping in the front.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting it for you thought, it's just what works for us. For what it's worth is what we have.

There might not be loads of 4 berth rear lounge vans around either but the main point I was making was that you have more chance of finding one that will keep you legal at 3500 than you have of finding a 6 berth that works.

You might have to search a bit to find something that suits you but it will be worth taking the time. The accepted wisdom is that for most people the right van for them is usually the third one they buy so if you want to buck that trend take your time.

Another good piece of advice is to hire a van with your preferred layout and go away for a week or a long weekend before you buy. It's far better to find out that a layout isn't as ideal as you thought before you spend £25k. (y)

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Without being rude have you set a budget? Some of the layouts people will reccomend ate relatively modern and will be harder to find in an older van. Similarly, with bigger demands for luxury weights have gone up meaning older vans might have better payloads....

Have you decided on body type yet?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We had a swift escape 686, one of the first models to come out. These had a lightweight chassis were/are 3500KG. Be aware though that if you find one there are constraints, you cant put a towbar on this alko chassis, we know we looked into it in great detail. The payload was around 680K.
I would be tempted though, having travelled with young grandchilden, to look at something which has good external storage, you need somewhere secure, not in the van, to keep the buggy and all the stuff you will need to take with you. Our youngsters slept in the overcab, from about 18 months, but they weren't 'climbers' wouldn't dream of putting the one who is youngest now up there, she would be out the roof light lol Check your car seat in every van you think might do.
Many older vans have 5/6 berths but some only 2/3 belted seats, the fixings for seatbelts are heavy so that might be worth a thought given your price range.
Enjoy the search

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Without being rude have you set a budget? Some of the layouts people will reccomend ate relatively modern and will be harder to find in an older van. Similarly, with bigger demands for luxury weights have gone up meaning older vans might have better payloads....

It needs to have a MGW under 3,500kg due to license restrictions. Our budget is 20-25,000 pounds.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree with most of Nicks comments also for long trips a van with a garage makes a lot of sence but that rules out U shaped lounges.
Also bear in mind generally you can not fit child seats to the conversion seats only the cab passenger seat.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Doh @Gromett I missed that

25k should get you what you want but you are going to need to do shows and visit oodles of dealers to work out exactly what layout you want. Even then you could end up trading up a couple of times before you get of right.

Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Janeymonica

Free Member
Jan 17, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Buying one soon

Hi, we are looking at a coachbuilt. Something similar to this in layout:
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Janeymonica

Free Member
Jan 17, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Buying one soon
I agree with most of Nicks comments also for long trips a van with a garage makes a lot of sence but that rules out U shaped lounges.
Also bear in mind generally you can not fit child seats to the conversion seats only the cab passenger seat.
Hi Lenny,

Couldn't we fit a child seat in the forward facing dinette seats in the van shown here if we folded the table away?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    926 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny,

Couldn't we fit a child seat in the forward facing dinette seats in the van shown here if we folded the table away?

Thanks
Fairly certain the answer is no but you would have check with the manufacturer and they would probably say no to cover themselves.
The van in your link must be a dealers special as it is not a recognised brand of Motorhome, from the internal decor I would say one of the budget Italian brands possibly Rollerteam only a guess.

As you are going to be using the van a lot in mainland Europe it would make sense to buy a LHD if you buy in Germany you will get a newr van for your budget, have a look on Link Removed nearly all German dealers list on this site.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have a 5 birth Micro Mini Winnebago. Based on a V6 Toyota. Cost us £3500. We are over the moon with it. So have a look at American MH too. This van has everything we need. Up to and including fly screens on every opening.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whats the difference between fitting a baby seat on the dinette seat and fitting one in the back of a car..just being curious. Something I will never have to think about.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi Lenny,

Thanks
If your car seat is one of the newer ones that require special fixings then I would say no. If it was me I would be thinking of placing it on the rearward facing seats.
As has been said the work for you is only just starting in that it may take six months to find the right van for you and your family. You say you need to keep under 3500, is there a special reason? Vans over this if only 3800 like ours offer 600kgs of carrying capacity and that's weigh bridge proved and not dealer speak.
Good luck and have fun searching. (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Whats the difference between fitting a baby seat on the dinette seat and fitting one in the back of a car..just being curious. Something I will never have to think about.
I think it is due to car seats being fixed, Motorhome dinette seats are only loose cushions.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We prefer a fixed bed because I can't be doing with faffing around building a bed every night and also we can seperate the bedroom from the rest of the van with a proper door. This keeps the dogs out and also provides some privacy if someone is sleeping in the front.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting it for you thought, it's just what works for us. For what it's worth is what we have.

There might not be loads of 4 berth rear lounge vans around either but the main point I was making was that you have more chance of finding one that will keep you legal at 3500 than you have of finding a 6 berth that works.

You might have to search a bit to find something that suits you but it will be worth taking the time. The accepted wisdom is that for most people the right van for them is usually the third one they buy so if you want to buck that trend take your time.

Another good piece of advice is to hire a van with your preferred layout and go away for a week or a long weekend before you buy. It's far better to find out that a layout isn't as ideal as you thought before you spend £25k. (y)

Lovely looking van Nick

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Adria have good build quality, this is a 5 berth with 5 traveling seats. Has three point belts on the rear seats, fine with baby seats, we sometimes put ours in the rear. So long as the belt has proper anchor points it doesn't matter that the cushions are not fixed as the seat tightens down on them.

Ours is a different layout to the one in this link, ours is 670Sk that has two lounge areas, bunks in the back and a dividing door to close that part off (although the bathroom is back there).

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Once again the doom and gloom merchants have misread the post and offered misleading advice !
As a family of 2 adults and a toddler you should ,if you don't carry loads of useless crap ,easily find a 6 berth van very useable and spacious .
There's only 4 of us and wanting space and a rear lounge layout went for a six berth .I would rather have good lounging space and 2 proper foreword travel seats .my kids are now 12 and 9 and Cary loads of scooters bikes toys etc .admittedly my van is rated at 3850 but We are never overweight and I'm 16.5 stone and the wife the same ,if not more when on top,
You will easily find a van to suit your family at 3.5 t

Vlad

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Not trying to be a gloom merchant but whatever mh you buy get it weighed before you part with any cash. Having no payload makes a van not fit for purpose , only my opinion .

Upvote 0

Noely

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
We hired a Chaussen 6 birth with rear bunks when my youngest was 18mths, and my older one was 4. No problem fitting car seats either. The bunks were great, and the garage very useful. We bought a 6 berth Swift Sundance with side bunks, and side garage, and did 3 weeks in France in the summer no probe. We never use the dinette for sleeping, as it restricts access to the fridge etc. the layout is key to your needs, for us, it's bunks for the kids (also gives them a private space too) but when we upgrade in a few years, our requirements may change as the boys grow. Best of luck (got ours on autotrader private sale btw)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back