Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki
Exp
3 years
Hi'
I today received a Horizon booklet from my insurers Safeguard & this was on page 3!! I quote....

"The french goverment has recently imposed new national speed limits for motorhomes over 3500kg.
They are 100kph (62mph) on Autoroutes & dual carriageways & 80 kph (50 mph) on all other roads,and for motorhomes towing a trailer,this is lowered slightly to 90 kph (55 mph) on Autoroutes & 80kph (50 mph) on dual carriageways & other roads."

Did everyone know this?,or is it old news??

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Did everyone know this?,or is it old news??

:Smile: Heard about it some time ago. But it didn't seem to have any effect on the Mothomes that we saw through France. We were doing 60mph most of the time with a Toad and others were passing us as if we were parked at the side of the road. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We were in France 3 weeks ago and knew of the new speeds but constantly went over them:Blush:
Even towing the mini they seem sooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow:Doh:

OP
OP
moblee

moblee

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki
Exp
3 years
i'm just Advising people who didn't know.
I regularly do 65 mph on the Autoroutes,but the gendamaries HIDE behind things:roflmto:
I don't know if they use leeway of a couple of kph's in France like they seem to in England?

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Must admit we were there in August and did plenty of miles on both single and dual carragways well over the limits and had no bother. I did slow down for the cameras though.

Rich...:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
these new limits only apply to motorhomes OVER 35OOKG:thumb:

Bugger......thats me !!!!!:cry:

i also seem to remember it is a lower limit in built-up areas also....30kph or something like.

a bit like continental drift. :Doh:

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i seem to recall that they also want us to have speed discs on the rear of the vehicle like continental lorries do with the higher and lower speed displayed. Anyone remember the 50 speed discs on the old caravans over here back in the 70s/80s

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Wow! ... a whole 6 or 12 mph slower :Doh:

I liked the bit about the Gendarmes ignoring the absence of 80/90 stickers....

You'll be OK unless Francoise Le Plod has a bad hair day :ROFLMAO:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well, it's up to you if you exceed these limits , but as a long time resident of france I am well aware that , as a matter of policy ,the G men [ and women ] always go easy when new regulations are imposed to give people time to get used to them .... but thereafter [ like next year ] things will be different!

in your favour is that almost all french motorhomes are under 3.5 tonnes so if your outfit is not noticeably over the weight limit your chances of being caught are about zilch unless you get pulled over

looks like it will become a nice little earner in the future though !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back