Best European road map ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We're off on our travels in a few weeks and although using sat nav I want a map as back up.
Travelling through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France.
Any recommendations for a good map please ?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Not European but I like the Michelin Atlas Routier et Touristique France book map very good because the pages are laminated so you can write on them with chinagraph pencil and wipe off after completing the route.

ISBN 978-2-06-720029-6

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
We always use Michelin. Good range of scales etc.
But we have found if we ever used the old folding map it very quickly got thin at the folds and ended up coming apart. Go for book format - and the curly binding sort are the easiest to handle for us.
Do love a map to ponder over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another vote for Michelin.. buy both maps and atlas.. buy a full country map for planning.. then a more local one when we arrive.. The Road Atlas is good when driving.

I love maps, for planning and marking the route. I also make notes of sites listed with dates. Have some going back to the 80s.. wonderful records

Also have old maps my dad used back in the 50s.. with all the places he visited when camping.. .. such wonderful records that won't be lost in the 'cloud'

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How about using Google Maps if you have a smart phone?
Doesn't go out of date like an Atlas, knows exactly where you are
Only requires GPRS, not 3G

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How about using Google Maps if you have a smart phone?
Doesn't go out of date like an Atlas, knows exactly where you are
Only requires GPRS, not 3G

yes.. they have a role to play.. as does an installed digital map .. but not to replace of paper maps..

Ships and yachts have GPS equipment for navigation.. but the skipper will still know how to plot a course with a chart and compass and find his position with a sextant..

technology does break down..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
technology does break down..
I certainly agree that technology can break down, but in the unlikely event that your Sat Nav breaks down, the likelyhood of your mobile phone breaking down is pretty slim - almost zero I would suggest.

Then there is the Mrs's mobile phone - add that to the equation and the likely hood of being without an accurate map is dwindling.

What I really like about online maps is that your position is immediately known, in the event of sat nav failure.

With a paper map you've no way of knowing where you are

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
yes.. unlikely.. and I would't be without my sat nav ..

but still love paper maps.. :D

you can't pin a sat nav to the wall... :LOL:
Or swat flies with one!

?

Deleted User
Last one i bought was Philips

Amazon product ASIN 1849073252
Took me round Europe a few times without getting lost. It also had some major city center street maps what was handy.

Just had a look at the date on mine. 1999 :)

?

Deleted User
Or swat flies with one!

Years ago when i was working in Bradford i swatted a fly with a guitar. So you may say. It was on the window in my bloody room. Smashhhhhhhhh :(

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I like a real printed map so I can check that the daft person in my tablet app is sending me where I want to go rather than where she thinks i should go
Michelin Europe 1994 - perhaps I should get a new one?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I use Sat Nav quite often but do prefer an Atlas and local maps for greater detail.
I used to drive trucks as far as Athens and Sat Nav hadn't been heard of and I coped quite well.
The trick with Sat Navs is to turn them on when a few miles away from your destination and use maps for most of the Journey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back