Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Hi

Does anyone know the difference between the new Copilot Caravan app (£49.99) and the existing Copilot Car version (premium Europe ipad HD version £25.49). I've just downloaded the demo of the standard version and you can set up 'Caravan' as a vehicle type anyway so not sure what's the benefit of the extra £25? In the new Caravan version you can add in specific vehicle dimensions so does that mean in the standard version the 'Caravan' setting only adjusts speeds and still doesn't take into consideration things like low bridges?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I bought the app before the caravan one came in and you can set it to motorhome which we did for our motorhome.Not sure about the bridges though but we didn't hit any!
Just checked,you can't put dimensions in, only road preferences.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I am thinking of buying the Copilot app and AFAIK the more expensive version allows the entry of dimensions and the cheaper one doesn't - it just allows you to call yourself a caravan and MAY use that to calculate journey times.

Either way it is many bottles of wine cheaper than buying the Garmin with dimension capability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have had problems with the standard CoPilot app purchased a year ago, it seems to take an irrational dislike to some roads and then do its best to find a route avoiding them which is not always the best route:mad:

I have been in touch with CoPilot about this and they recommended that I purchase the new Caravan app as you can input weight and size not just click RV as you do on the older version.

I also have an idea that they might be using different maps now as I asked them to plan a route on the new app which included a road that my older version would not use no matter what I did to persuade it, when the route came back from them the route included names of roads that were not on my older version (the roads were there just not with that name) and some of the roads which have two number (it was in Spain) were described by the number that did not show on my old version.

Be warned though even with size and weight data input the route is only as accurate as the road data on the mapping used.

Martin

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Used to use Co pilot on a note. No probs with it and we liked it a lot.
Much prefer our Garmin Camper now. Bigger clearer and leaves the phone free.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use the standard paid for Co-Pilot app on the RV setting.
A few days ago, in France, it tried to take me down a shortcut which had a very low bridge. The Garmin Camper, which I also use, took a slightly longer route and avoided the low bridge.

If Co-Pilot did a reasonably priced upgrade I would move to the caravan version but don't want to pay the full price again for what is just an extra backup.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I use the standard paid for Co-Pilot app on the RV setting.
A few days ago, in France, it tried to take me down a shortcut which had a very low bridge. The Garmin Camper, which I also use, took a slightly longer route and avoided the low bridge.

If Co-Pilot did a reasonably priced upgrade I would move to the caravan version but don't want to pay the full price again for what is just an extra backup.

Richard.
I asked them to discount the new one as my version had too many glitches, they said NO.

Martin

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I fear that I am not suited to modern life.

Our Garmin Nuvi is 2 years old and was bought for use in a car. Now we own an MH I want to move up to a something that permits input of size and weight. My initial thoughts of Snooper, Garmin Camper etc have been overtaken by comments on this forum about Copilot Caravan which is miles cheaper than a dedicated sat nav.

But I cannot see the need to have both CoPilot and a sat nav - surely this implies that you have insufficient faith in one or both to do the job?

And as for having a sat nav to leave the phone free, why? I don't need a phone most of the time and if I do I would switch off Copilot for a short time to allow SWMBO to make the call. Or am I missing the point as usual?

Hence my comment in line 1 above.

?

Deleted User
When i was playing with this app for android

It was on a two week trial and only about 30 quid. Did what it says on the tin. What you got to lose?

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
I fear that I am not suited to modern life.

Our Garmin Nuvi is 2 years old and was bought for use in a car. Now we own an MH I want to move up to a something that permits input of size and weight. My initial thoughts of Snooper, Garmin Camper etc have been overtaken by comments on this forum about Copilot Caravan which is miles cheaper than a dedicated sat nav.

But I cannot see the need to have both CoPilot and a sat nav - surely this implies that you have insufficient faith in one or both to do the job?

And as for having a sat nav to leave the phone free, why? I don't need a phone most of the time and if I do I would switch off Copilot for a short time to allow SWMBO to make the call. Or am I missing the point as usual?

Hence my comment in line 1 above.

personally I currently use Tom Tom app on my phone which is excellent in the car but is too far away to see properly in the MH and doesn't allow change of vehicle type so now looking for something more suited to a MH and which can have on my Ipad. I would always however go down the App route as I don't see the benefits of a stand alone GPS at x5-10 the price of the app.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
All our sat navs are on tablets and phones. We have two as a minimum in case one fails for any reason. I never used Co Pilot but use Sygic on an Ipad as the main sat nav. Works fine for me. I usually plan on google maps and sometimes modify the route sygic suggests which is easy to do. The large screen on the Ipad makes it very easy to us., I also use it as my speedo and to warn me when I creep over the speed limits.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have been using CoPilot Truck for 3 years and have 2 licences as my wife has a copy running on her tablet too whilst in the second chair. I have found it uniquely invaluable because of the ability to profile road attributes from strongly avoid to strongly favour. In my Flair I also have a factory fitted Zenec sat nav which although configurable for truck dimensions has no road profiling. It is interesting to watch it come up with a regular 5-10 mile shorter route over a 200 mile trip because I have strongly avoid local roads and strongly favour motorways and dial carriageways in CoPilot. We are in Remagen at the moment and CoPilot used the A61 or was it 62 for as long as possible and saved diving off into the hinterland which the Zenec was squawking about. I cannot comment on the new caravan version but my truck version is a good buy at twice the money.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Sa
All our sat navs are on tablets and phones. We have two as a minimum in case one fails for any reason. I never used Co Pilot but use Sygic on an Ipad as the main sat nav. Works fine for me. I usually plan on google maps and sometimes modify the route sygic suggests which is easy to do. The large screen on the Ipad makes it very easy to us., I also use it as my speedo and to warn me when I creep over the speed limits.
Same here with Sygic and iPad, great together, great overview mapping & it uses tomtom maps

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have a Co-Pilot............its called Judith....she sits next to me with a map on her knees.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Decided to go with the Caravan app and will keep it permanantly on my ipad. Seem quite straightforward but for some reason doesn't allow you to put in a van width of over 2.59m. Anyway, we will use it for a mini break to North Wales in a couple of weeks so will report back how well it works.

One question for those that have the normal Copilot app; is there a shortcut to quickly turn the voice directions on/off from the map screen or do you have to go through the settings menu every time?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Decided to go with the Caravan app and will keep it permanantly on my ipad. Seem quite straightforward but for some reason doesn't allow you to put in a van width of over 2.59m. Anyway, we will use it for a mini break to North Wales in a couple of weeks so will report back how well it works.

One question for those that have the normal Copilot app; is there a shortcut to quickly turn the voice directions on/off from the map screen or do you have to go through the settings menu every time?
Mute the volume?

Deleted User
Hi

Does anyone know the difference between the new Copilot Caravan app (£49.99) and the existing Copilot Car version (premium Europe ipad HD version £25.49). I've just downloaded the demo of the standard version and you can set up 'Caravan' as a vehicle type anyway so not sure what's the benefit of the extra £25? In the new Caravan version you can add in specific vehicle dimensions so does that mean in the standard version the 'Caravan' setting only adjusts speeds and still doesn't take into consideration things like low bridges?
Do you get free lifetime map and traffic upgrades on these apps and do they give speed camera warnings.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Re the phone. I use my phone when driving for calls and spotify. And even though it's a galaxy note .. I like the bigger screen of the garmin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Not directly on the CoPilot screen.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you get free lifetime map and traffic upgrades on these apps and do they give speed camera warnings.
On CoPilot you get lifetime map updates, traffic for a year but then you can update it at a price and speed camera warning are lifetime again.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Been using Sygic for many years on my various Android phones and have been happy with it. Rarely had a problem with it. Had free updates to both software and maps at regular intervals. Got maps for all of Europe and North America on it.

My new motorhome came with a dealer fitted all singing all dancing Kenwood radio that included a Garmin truck sat nav with European maps. That has a motorhome mode and enables me to put in vehicle dimensions and weight. It uses those to plot routes and tell me what the speed limits are. So far (5,000 miles in 6 months) it has done well, although I still prefer the display and instructions from Sygic. Only time it let me down was when it thought there was 3.5t weight limit just outside an Aire in France I was going to (motorhome is 4.5t). Wanted me to re-route by 30 miles to avoid it. However we spotted the problem and just ignored it and followed common sense. The only problem is that it looks like it will cost me a fortune to update the maps ....

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Mute the volume?
I asked Copilot the same question and this is the response they gave. Not ideal as unfortunately this will also mute the volume at the same time. Sometimes I just want voice directions at a particularly complicated part of a journey (say going through town) and I don't want to have to stop every time to do this.
Oh well, worse things in life.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well Nagging Nigel (the cheap Chinese satnav we were all buying a year or so back) went for recycling this morning. His battery was shot (I did take the unit to bits to see if the battery could be replaced but there were no details of make or power or anything on it - just a foil wrapped block, no wonder it got hot) and the maps no longer updated..... so thinking I may get a Hudl or other cheap tablet to run co-pilot caravan or sygic.

Thanks for the comments on the different apps, dedicated satnavs and all the features - very useful :)

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
I use this one, a bit plasticky like most mounts but it's solid and does the job well. I've seen the same design eslewhere for between £15 and £35(!) so at £4.50 including shipping this is a real bargain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back