Saga won't insure my Autocruise Accent (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
We are changing our Nu Surf for an Autocruise Accent, so we can take our grandsons on holiday . I phoned Saga our present insurers to change over the policy, when I gave the registration number , the answer came we cannot insure it as it has come up as a van not a motor home. We discussed the fact that most motor homes were originally panel vans or the chassis of one. She was adamant that they could not insure it. In the end went to safe guard and got insurance and breakdown cover for £29 more than just the insurance with Saga. Has this happened to anyone else?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I save money all the time with Safeguard :LOL:
Who was it that didn't make a drama out of a crisis :sleep:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I reluctantly left Safeguard this year as the could no get near Comforts quote

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a crying shame that insurers are basing quotes on DVLA descriptions when at the same time DVLA are actively refusing to make any changes to the original registration details
a classic example here is my new to me BOX VAN.
If it ever get stolen it should be easily identified as ther are not many BOX VANS that look like this .
I Went through exactly the same scenario 5 or 6 years ago with my previous Flat Bed Lorry that also looked exactly like this
20160531_171227.jpg

I thought Iwas building Recovery vehicles, Seems Not:doh:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Saga were hundreds more than Adrian Flux's quote for the same cover for us. :eek:

Neither Comfort or Safeguard were competitive for our circumstances.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We are changing our Nu Surf for an Autocruise Accent, so we can take our grandsons on holiday . I phoned Saga our present insurers to change over the policy, when I gave the registration number , the answer came we cannot insure it as it has come up as a van not a motor home. We discussed the fact that most motor homes were originally panel vans or the chassis of one. She was adamant that they could not insure it. In the end went to safe guard and got insurance and breakdown cover for £29 more than just the insurance with Saga. Has this happened to anyone else?
We're thinking of downsizing sometime this year from C class to PVC, and we're with Saga - so thanks for the heads-up!

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I used to use Saga and was quite happy with the quotes and service bearing in mind my vehicle was a van conversion and indeed had not been advised to the DLV. When it came to another renewal I got some snotty lad who refused to insure me.:doh: Ok, he was quite right, I suppose. Sooo, I then asked him what would have happened if I had, had an accident during last year..... he wouldn't answer me saying I would have to take it up with head office.
Anyway, I put the 'phone down and left it for 5 mins. then 'phoned up again and got a young lady this time, who said no problem to re-insure me. :Eeek: Case of the left hand not knowing what right hands doin'. Anyway got reinsured with Adrian Flux in the end, and it was cheaper too. :moon2:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My PVC is insured with Saga and it is described on the V5 as Private Light Goods. I'm not sure if this is the same as a van, but Saga haven't been any problem over providing insurance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
usually they want it on the v5 as a motorcaravan on the body type at D.5
the private light goods is for revenue purposes .or taxation class.
mines a tractor .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I won't use Saga on principle.

It makes me feel old

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
usually they want it on the v5 as a motorcaravan on the body type at D.5
the private light goods is for revenue purposes .or taxation class.
mines a tractor .

Yes Alan, but your vehicle IS a tractor. It carries nothing other than the fuel to propel it. (And possibly some fuel to propel you!!!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not a 2012 model is it? FX12 DCF ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just thought it might have been our old PVC which we changed last year for our current Globecar PVC ... if you have any questions about the Accent let me know as I crawled over most of it in the 3 years we had it!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Along with four passenger seats.....almost a minibus. :D
7 seats and under seat storage . but yes i,m not supposed to carry anything on the back other than my living van . but thats not for insurance or tax reasons . of course the tow ball on the back is in case i need a tow backwards if i get stuck .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back