Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Hi does anyone know if there room to park a 7.4m van at Kassam Stadium. We are going for lunch for grandaughters birthday
at Frankie and Bennies next door. It's on a Sunday lunchtime for a couple of hours. Thanks Funsters
Vic

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know but I'm always interested in extra places to add to my web site so I've sent them an e-mail asking.

You might like to make a specific request as, even if they don't generally allow motorhomes they may do so for a special occasion. Their contact page is .

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I should think it's OK - there is a car park, which serves the stadium, the bingo/bowling alley, the gym and the cinema, as well as the conference and events centre which Graham found. As long as there isn't a match on I wouldn't think it's going to be too crowded. The cinema might be busy in the early afternoon if it's a bad weather day. However I have never seen anyone looking like they were in charge of the car park, and I use it regularly, so can't think there would be anyone to tell you not to use it. When are you going?

Oxford United play there, here's their fixtures list

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a fast response to my request about daytime parking for motorhomes there:
Many thanks for your enquiry re Caravan and Camper Van parking at the Kassam Stadium.
Unfortunately we would not allow such usage, we have had historic issues of people using the facility and leaving rubbish and human waste on the premises.
I've replied emphasising that my enquiry wasn't about camping but simply daytime parking for motorhomes (not towed caravans). However, I can fully appreciate that they will err on the side of caution in view of their previous experience.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
That's the trouble with asking Graham, of course they are going to say no, Oxford has had trouble with travellers! I think if the OP had just gone and parked there, there would not have been a problem. On a Sunday for a couple of hours??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's the trouble with asking Graham, of course they are going to say no, Oxford has had trouble with travellers! I think if the OP had just gone and parked there, there would not have been a problem. On a Sunday for a couple of hours??
I've asked a lot of organisations Catherine. Of the refusals it is normally space related. Few have refused because of traveller incursions.

OP
OP
vicwo

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Thank you everyone for your input. We have decided to go to a campsite nearby and go in a different way. Thanks again Vic

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Vic
I went and checked it out yesterday as I was passing. In addition to the car parks, there is lots of on road parking on Grenoble Road, and I saw 2 foreign tour coaches parked there. There is no time limit, only a 'No HGV parking' notice. Are you camping at C&CC Oxford Club site?

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
vicwo

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Vienne see. Thank you. Yes I'm wondering if I might be better staying overnight at c&cc. Don't know how much a taxi would be. My partner is disabled and has a blue badge. That would be fine on the road but the van we picked up today is brand new. I really dont want idiots having a go . Vic

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
there is loads of parking at the kasam just turn up and park,if GJH has'nt blown it for all of us,with no motorhome parking signs going up.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Graham, as I said before, there is no parking warden EVER on duty at Kassam. And hundreds of spaces on the road next to the stadium. The OP has a blue badge for his disabled wife - I really can't see the problem. OK if a Fun rally turned up then yes, but one van (with a blue badge) for a couple of hours over Sunday lunchtime???

Vic, I guess a taxi would be about £8 each way, it's not far from C&CC to Kassam, 2.5 miles, according to ABC Taxis 01865 242424. When is it you are going because that site is quite small and is very busy so you need to book!

Catherine

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, as I said before, there is no parking warden EVER on duty at Kassam. And hundreds of spaces on the road next to the stadium. The OP has a blue badge for his disabled wife - I really can't see the problem. OK if a Fun rally turned up then yes, but one van (with a blue badge) for a couple of hours over Sunday lunchtime???

Vic, I guess a taxi would be about £8 each way, it's not far from C&CC to Kassam, 2.5 miles, according to ABC Taxis 01865 242424. When is it you are going because that site is quite small and is very busy so you need to book!

Catherine
I appreciate that Catherine. That's why I said, in my original post yesterday:
You might like to make a specific request as, even if they don't generally allow motorhomes they may do so for a special occasion. Their contact page is .
Having a blue badge (not mentioned in the OP) might well strengthen a specific request.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I am losing the will to live. All I can say Graham is that I live about a mile of this place and know it - how well do you know it?? As a local I was offering good advice based on my knowledge, not looking for a possible regular parking place for motorhomes to to list on a database. I would risk it if I were the OP, and @chrisgreen, another local, agrees with me. There are over 2000 parking places at Kassam - even if a 7.5m van took up 2 spaces, I don't think anyone would either notice or mind! You say"I've asked a lot of organisations Catherine. Of the refusals it is normally space related. Few have refused because of traveller incursions." but of course the answer you received from Kassam (not from the Conference Centre, not the Leisure Centre) was not relating to space but to mess left by people camping there, and no mention of lack of space! In any case you can safely leave it out of your database!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Just back from a day out in Oxford in the car, used the Redbridge Park and Ride and noticed a Motorhome parked next door where the coaches park. Not sure if it helps or not. :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks David, that P&R is next door to the C&CC Oxford Club site and allows motorhomes to park there (not overnight) but it is 2.6 miles to Kassam from there and the OP would need transport with a disabled wife...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am losing the will to live. All I can say Graham is that I live about a mile of this place and know it - how well do you know it?? As a local I was offering good advice based on my knowledge, not looking for a possible regular parking place for motorhomes to to list on a database. I would risk it if I were the OP, and @chrisgreen, another local, agrees with me. There are over 2000 parking places at Kassam - even if a 7.5m van took up 2 spaces, I don't think anyone would either notice or mind! You say"I've asked a lot of organisations Catherine. Of the refusals it is normally space related. Few have refused because of traveller incursions." but of course the answer you received from Kassam (not from the Conference Centre, not the Leisure Centre) was not relating to space but to mess left by people camping there, and no mention of lack of space! In any case you can safely leave it out of your database!
Who was looking for "a possible regular parking place for motorhomes to to list on a database."? My web site is there not just for that but also to warn people where they are not welcome and where they might experience problems.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of car parks with plenty of space (including some of the Oxford P&R sites) but they are not available for motorhome parking for one reason or another. Where they have height barriers it is often because they have suffered from people who have ignored restrictions because they think there is plenty of space and they can park (or camp) where they like.

Perhaps I should just shut the site down and let people take a chance and get tickets.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Forget it Graham, have the last word, as I said before I have lost the will to live. In future when asked for this kind of information I will refer people to you. My knowledge of my area is clearly worthless!!

OP
OP
vicwo

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Wow. I feel awful now I didn't intend this being a Funsters punch up.
Hey Viennese if you have a big drive could we come to you please ? We will bring cup cakes lol.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry Vic unfortunately I don't have a drive, I have to keep my van in storage ten miles away. Parking on my street is a big problem, otherwise I would say come here for tea!!

Don't worry, this was not a punch up - a difference of opinion yes, but not terminal! There have been much much bigger 'punch ups' on here!! Graham is a valuable member of Fun and has to be taken seriously, which as you see I do! Nothing as trivial as this is worth falling out over, so I back down!

Catherine

OP
OP
vicwo

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Had no trouble at Kassam Stadium as Viennese said so thank you. Massive car park and no attendants around to stop you. Thanks again everyone who contributed, Vic

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back