Teleco or Oyster (1 Viewer)

May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Looking at getting one of these automatic systems fitted. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy? I know the Teleco has auto skew and Gps which will cost £2200 fitted with a 85 cm dish not got a price for the oyster one yet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got an Alden AS4 system fitted by Vanbitz for a similar price, I think slightly less with Funster discount.

All I can really say is whenever we've used it it's worked perfectly. No complaints or negatives at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also have an Alden AS4.. fitted myself.. bought from Eddie.. Vanbitz..

as Nick.. had it a year and works great.. no complaints.. it finds and locks on fast.. less than a minute form pressing the On button..

I believe it's the only auto dish with a
  • LIFETIME WARRANTY on satellite system
more details.. Broken Link Removed

It's a breeze to fit.. the kit comes with everything you need, including the Sikaflex adhesive..

If you can drill a hole (for the cables) .. you can fit a sat dish.. it is simply glued to the roof.. no screws or fixings..

After fitting it is literally 'plug and play' it is already set up for Astra

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive got a 6 week old oyster sat/internet system ,it started playing up last week,ive now got it partially working by way of advice from Oyster,need to make another phone call tomorrow

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Also have an Alden AS4.. fitted myself.. bought from Eddie.. Vanbitz..

as Nick.. had it a year and works great.. no complaints.. it finds and locks on fast.. less than a minute form pressing the On button..

I believe it's the only auto dish with a
  • LIFETIME WARRANTY on satellite system
more details.. Broken Link Removed

It's a breeze to fit.. the kit comes with everything you need, including the Sikaflex adhesive..

If you can drill a hole (for the cables) .. you can fit a sat dish.. it is simply glued to the roof.. no screws or fixings..

After fitting it is literally 'plug and play' it is already set up for Astra
Just had a look at that. I'm particularly impressed with the electromagnetic feet that energise when driving ................. :whistle::whistle:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
if you want a dish that will keep up with the constant changing of transponders and the best build quality on the market then the oyster is the best by far. also if you are heading to spain or portugal , and you have a oyster vision 3 autoskew then you can still get your bbc's and itv ch4 with the right receiver.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
if you want a dish that will keep up with the constant changing of transponders and the best build quality on the market then the oyster is the best by far. also if you are heading to spain or portugal , and you have a oyster vision 3 autoskew then you can still get your bbc's and itv ch4 with the right receiver.
Lol illegally and at risk of equipment confiscation! Attached to the van? They can have that too!

So be careful using illegal encryption decoders

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the best build quality on the market then the oyster is the best by far.

Last summer I met a couple in France who had no end of trouble with a brand new Oyster system.. on a brand new Rapido , they were parked next to us on the air at Mimizan.. Got chatting and they couldn't get it to 'lock on' .. I had no problem with the Alden.

I went to see if I could help.. and suggested he move the van a few meters forward.. sorted... but they had no end of trouble with it every day ... in the end they stopped using it ..

Another couple in Spain.. same problem with an Oyster .. and again.. had to move the van to get locked on.. there were no trees or obstructions and both parked beside me..

They may be isolated incidents and there are no doubt many happy Oyster owners .. just as there are thousands of happy Alden owners.. but it can't be claimed to be the 'best by far'

Vanbitz wouldn't be the Alden UK agent if it were a second rate system.

Does the Oyster come with a lifetime warranty?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had an Oyster for six years, and apart from having to change the transponder settings, easy peasy, it has been faultless. I am sure there are loads of satisfied owners of both systems and inevitably those who have had problems. Like anything, you pays your money and takes you chance. Even the Queens Rolls Royce could break down at sometime. :)

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Lol illegally and at risk of equipment confiscation! Attached to the van? They can have that too!

So be careful using illegal encryption decoders

I know it is illegal but.....
Just wondering, do you have any numbers on the amount of times people have been caught? Or is it the same as gassing, hearsay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had an Oyster on the last van, no problems for 6 years. The Oyster is fully auto the Telco is only semi auto, with the Telco you have to select the satellite where as with the Oyster you select the TV channel and it finds the satellite.
Fitted a Snipe on the current van couldn't justify the cost of an Oyster and the Snipe can be left up in strong winds.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just wondering, do you have any numbers on the amount of times people have been caught? Or is it the same as gassing, hearsay.
Gassing doesn't exist. illegally downloading encrypted material, is an offence and the equipment can be confiscated and destroyed. Stuck to a vehicle? they can take that as well.

As a business we wouldn't get involved in anything that could result in our customers being fined or having their equipment confiscated.

I know that people take the risk and I don't blame them, but, I think that people should always be aware that they are illegally receiving encrypted material designed for HM Forces overseas.

Not being a party pooper as on a personal level I may consider it if I were in Spain for a longer period, so long as I knew the risk, and I would keep very quiet about it ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Gassing doesn't exist. illegally downloading encrypted material, is an offence and the equipment can be confiscated and destroyed. Stuck to a vehicle? they can take that as well.

As a business we wouldn't get involved in anything that could result in our customers being fined or having their equipment confiscated.

I know that people take the risk and I don't blame them, but, I think that people should always be aware that they are illegally receiving encrypted material designed for HM Forces overseas.

Not being a party pooper as on a personal level I may consider it if I were in Spain for a longer period, so long as I knew the risk, and I would keep very quiet about it ;)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Gassing!!!:wasntme::giggler:
Are we talking about the Icecrypt receivers?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't know to be honest. Funny you should ask though because i am going to try tomorrow am. Just got to figure out how to impute the info.
Don't know about the Snipe 2 but the software for the Snipe 1 won't work on any operating system later than XP.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Interesting reading re receiving
Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West – BBC SATBACK

UK and BBC Channels on Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West – BBC SATBACK.

Arqiva, who operate the UK Freeview service on behalf of the UK broadcasters, are leasing a transponder on the Intelsat 907 satellite located at 27.5 degrees West.

In a deal signed in April 2007, Arqiva will use IS-907 to feed the signal to 90 main transmitter sites around the UK.

The service is known as “BBC-Satback”.

The BBC Satback service on Intelsat 907 satellite is used for “emergency back up feeds” for the UK Freeview system, should the Freeview mast relay service lose its feed from their parent transmitter. It is not used for military purposes, or BFBS which operate on other satellites. Nor is it for UK TV for Gibraltar (Gibraltar is not part of the UK, but is an Overseas Territory, and the UK broadcasters have no obligation to provide broadcast to Gibraltar).

On Intelsat 907, the BBC Satback service carries the following UK TV channels : BBC One, BBC 2, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, Cbebbbies, BBC News and Parliament, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD.

These UK TV channels on Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK are encrypted, and there are no viewing cards available to the public to access these channels. To access the UK TV channels on Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK you need to have a compatible satellite receiver, and the encryptions codes to enable you to hack (read illegally access!) into the encrypted content.

The reception of this Intelsat 907 satellite in Spain, is very strong, and could easily be received in most of Spain on an 80cm or 1m satellite dish.

One thing to mention is that it will be interesting to see what happens with the BBC Satback service in 2016 or so. Intelsat 907 was launched on the 15th February 2003, with an expected lifespan of 12 years. So what will happen with the BBC SATBACK system now that the Intelsat 907 satellite is coming to the end of its operational life? Will there be a new satellite the BBC SATBACK system can move it to? Will the BBC SATBACK service be moved to a satellite with a much harder to receive “UK spot beam”? Or will the BBC SATBACK system simply be discontinued? One thing is for sure, this is something the installers of this system are not mentioning to their clients who are paying for the system to be installed.

Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK in Spain

With the launch of new UK TV satellites, Astra 2E, Astra 2F and Astra 2G which has resulted in a loss of BBC ITV and other UK TV channels from many areas of Southern Spain and Western Spain, areas like the Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands and Portugal, some satellite TV installation companies have been offering this Intelsat system as an alternative for reception of UK TV.

An 80cm satellite dish is the minimum sized satellite dish required to receive the UK TV channels on Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK in Spain.

A List of the UK TV and Radio Channels Currently on the Intelsat 907 BBC SAT Back Satellite at 27.5 West

BBC One London
BBC One Scotland
BBC One Northern Ireland
BBC One Wales
BBC Two England
BBC Three
BBC News
BBC Four
CBBC
CBeebies
BBC Parliament
BBC Two HD
BBC One HD
ITV 1 HD
Channel 4 HD
Channel 5 HD
BBC Radio 1
BBC Radio 2
BBC Radio 3
BBC Radio 4 FM
BBC Radio 5 Live
BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra
BBC 6 Music
BBC Radio 4 Extra
BBC 1Xtra
BBC Asian Network
BBC World Service UK

Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK Frequency

These channels are located on the Intelsat 907 satellite, frequency 11495 Vertical with a symbol rate of 44100.

BISS Code Encryption

Not all satellite receivers are able to work with this system, as they may not be able to handle the unusually high symbol rate

These Channels on Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West are encrypted using in BISS encryption. Some satellite receivers have been able to open the encryption using “codes” from the internet. Note : Inputting codes into a receiver to hack into encrypted feeds is illegal.

The codes for the encryption can be changed at any time. This may be for a short time until the codes are known again. Or it can be forever, if they change the encryption system totally, to the more professional and “unhackable” encryption system.

This changing of the BISS Keys for the channels on BBC SATBACK on Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West is something which makes this system unreliable. This loss of channels when the keys change is something which some retailers of this system do not mention to their clients!.

And with the recent loss of BBC and ITV channels in some areas of southern Spain and Portugal, some installers are offering this system to their clients…without telling them of the pitfalls and potential loss of channels using this system. More here : http://www.satandpcguy.com/blog/201...ugal-beware-magic-solution-another-satellite/

Receivers for Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK

One of the satellite receivers that can currently be used for Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK is the Icecrypt S1600CHD.

Others satellite receivers that can currently be used for Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACKthe Technomate TM5402, and Galaxy Innovations satellite receivers. Note that these satellite receivers may need to be “patched” with custom firmware / software before they can be used with the Intelsat 907 – BBC SATBACK service.

BISS Codes for the Intelsat 907 BBC SATBACK service can be found here

Intelsat 907 Footprint for BBC Satback

Dish size required for Intelsat 907

Ku band
EIRP
(dBW)
Size
(cm)

>50 50
50 50-60
49 55-65
48 60-75
47 65-85
46 75-95
45 85-105
44 95-120
43 105-135
42 120-150
41 135-170
40 150-190
39 170-215
38 190-240
37 215-270
36 240-300
35 270-335
34 300-380
33 335-425
32 380-475
31 425-535
30 475-600
:h:0 >535
Share this:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I think that people should always be aware that they are illegally receiving encrypted material designed for HM Forces overseas.
I907 is nothing to do with HM forces.
I907 is nothing to do with Gibraltar requiring UK TV.
I907 is run by Arqiva as a back up service for the UK Freeview transmitters should other links to them fail.

HMForces have BFBS on various satellites, providing them with BBC ITV Sky channels, programmes and content. These services are encrypted, and only available via viewing card, that is only issues to armed forces personnel - with severe penalties should any of those card be use by no forces persons..

Can you program the Snipe 2 to Intelsat 907, the frequencies are too high for the Snipe 1 controller.
The high symbol rate of 44100 means many receivers are unable to get this service.

Interesting reading re receiving
Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West – BBC
Thanks for copying my entire webpage when surely just a link to the page would have done! o_O What browser did you use to copy that from - as obviously the anti copy feature is not working on that one...?

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I stand corrected lol

TBH we steer well clear of it anyway and try to steer our customers away from using it

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for copying my entire webpage when surely just a link to the page would have done! o_O What browser did you use to copy that from - as obviously the anti copy feature is not working on that o
Sorry headmaster but some of us aren't quite as savvy at this as you ! It was a page from google which I thought really helpful.
Will try to do better next time

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As the OP asked about Teleco or Oyster systems I thought that perhaps one answer should at least mention Teleco. :):)

I have no knowledge of Oyster, never having used one, but the Teleco system that was factory fitted to our Carthago has proved to be excellent.
Except when under trees it has always locked on in seconds and reception has been OK right down to about Millau for the usual UK channels.

Richard.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What browser did you use to copy that from - as obviously the anti copy feature is not working on that one...?

just to demonstrate it's easy to copy,paste, even protected sites, I always give credit and a link to the source.. http://www.satandpcguy.com

The Sat and PC Guy is your local satellite installer for UK TV installations in Spain, in the Costa Blanca North and Valencia areas of Spain.

The Sat and PC Guy offers TV systems to suit all requirements and needs in the Costa Blanca North and Valencia areas of Spain..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Copy and paste protection, right click protection and pretty much any other kind of content protection on websites is a complete waste of time. As Jim says it's beyond simple to get around.

If you don't want someone to be able to copy something from your website don't put it on there in the first place, or in the case of images only upload them in such a low resolution they aren't usable for anything if someone does copy them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back