Cleaning your motorhome (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
This probably qualifies as the daftest question ever asked on the forum, but here goes. I live on a cul-de-sac which is quite narrow and made even narrower by the presence of parked cars. My drive will in no way accommodate the motorhome, which of course is kept in storage. I therefore have a problem washing my newly acquired pride and joy. What do other people on here do about keeping their motorhome clean?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours comes home and can be done on the drive, I am about half way through at the moment and my shoulder is killing me.

Does your storage place have any way facility.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There are some car wash places .. not drive though, such as Clean Park where you use the wash brushes and power wash .. ideal designed for washing vans, motorhomes etc

nothing close to you ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Fortunately my work place and were I store the MH has a garage type Jet Wash, so I can wash off the road grime and then hand wash the rest, then rinse the soap off again using the jet wash. Any garage facility should be able to do this as well. I do have to wash one side then turn it around though, but keeping ontop of the dirt is worth the little hastle.
Many on here dont bother washing regularly, but it is all about personal choice.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Ours comes home and can be done on the drive, I am about half way through at the moment and my shoulder is killing me.

Does your storage place have any way facility.

Martin

Unfortunately there is no facility for washing at my storage place.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
There are some car wash places .. not drive though, such as Clean Park where you use the wash brushes and power wash .. ideal designed for washing vans, motorhomes etc

nothing close to you ?

Thank you. Something I will investigate.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ours is in storage and we use two large water container's. We take everything with us and generally have water left over. We use Fenick's as this can be used with cold water, though we always fill the containers with hot.
The big down side is that the containers are very heavy, though only one way.
Not managed to do the roof as yet.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Our local Tesco petrol station has a car wash facilitiy (not drive through). I have washed our motorhome there. You have to feed it with £1 coins and it costs around £8-£10 depending how dirty it is.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Do you have friends locally that have room on the drive or in the street? If so, pay them a visit and take a sponge and bucket. ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How about taking it back to the compound with a full water tank and connect a long hose to the shower outlet, the shower fittings are the same as thread as domestic ones. I wouldn't use a pressure washer on a motorhome.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Do you have friends locally that have room on the drive or in the street? If so, pay them a visit and take a sponge and bucket. ;)

I don't have any friends! ;) Or at least not locally with drives or streets that are wide enough.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We are in a similar situation to you in respect of cleaning the MH. We bought when it was on offer at GoOutdoors for £10 a 10litre hand pump pressure washer. It does not build up to a pressure which could cause any damage but is an easy way to rinse off wash water suds or apply liquid based polishes.
Ian

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
when ours was in storage (first van PVC) we took it the the polish guys at the local garage where they set up car wash base, I must say they did do a good job of it - even the roof, all for a fiver too, it must be frustrating to be in the position your in, a little like having your hands tied

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
come down our way.. there are a lot of free car washes ..

the farmers are watering crops using these big sprinklers that spray all over the roads.. feel sorry for the bikers .. :LOL:

Pressure washing coach-built paintwork can remove not only the graphics.. but the paint, it's only microns thick.. you can even polish it off if not careful ..:eek:

I use a pressure washer, but only to wash down with a wide wand and not close enough to do damage..

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
when ours was in storage (first van PVC) we took it the the polish guys at the local garage where they set up car wash base, I must say they did do a good job of it - even the roof, all for a fiver too, it must be frustrating to be in the position your in, a little like having your hands tied
No no no no and no These guys may know what they are doing with cars but are clueless when it comes to motorhomes. The power of their pressure washers is far too great for motorhomes. As Jim said the paint is very thin, along with graphics that will not withstand such abuse.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our storage place has a really good wash bay.

Still haven't cleaned it for a year though:whistle:

I should add it is stored undercover though.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
I saw a couple washing their motorhome in Tesco's petrol station - open plan facilities - extenable long brush

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
From the detailers on this forum it is something to aviod at all costs. It is a wash that you do not have to add water to. More like a spray bottle and you rub it in then wipe off. It is said that it causes no end of scratches on your MH.

As an example
Amazon product ASIN B00PLW7YWE

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
have you ever washed your van whilst staying on a site?
Like after 8pm when the wardens have knocked off for the day?
I know it's against club rules, but after seeing caravan owners clean the front of their vans of dead insects and then continue to 'polish' the rest of their vans, why not?
Worse that could happen is the warden tells you off/asks you to stop.

I keep my van in storage, so I appreciate your predicament.
I think that the clubs and independent sites are missing a trick because I'd be willing to pay a supplement to be able to clean my van whilst on site without having concern for neighbours scowls or angry wardens.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reasons on why NOT to use dry wash products has been covered in depth on other posts.
I've seen some of those comments, Mike, but (as you know) we've had no problems.
Have there been any documented tests of the damage that any of the dry wash products cause or have we all just been expressing our opinions? If the former I would appreciate links, TIA.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've seen some of those comments, Mike, but (as you know) we've had no problems.
Have there been any documented tests of the damage that any of the dry wash products cause or have we all just been expressing our opinions? If the former I would appreciate links, TIA.
Hi Graham

I think a lot of the comments are purely based on the fact that we were not brought up to wash vehicles without copious amounts of water and soap suds, so of course anything else can not be right.

If I can't use the brush bucket and hose I also use a "dry wash" tecnique but actually use a detail spray/clay bar lubricant, I have been doing this for about three years now and have seen no evidence either from my own actions or the professionals that this does any damage to the paintwork, I have read a lot of opinions though.

OK I will add that if it is covered in gritty salt in the winter I will resist the temptation to use dry wash, but I would also not use a wash mitt etc until I had blown the big bits away with the jet wash.

Martin

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

I think a lot of the comments are purely based on the fact that we were not brought up to wash vehicles without copious amounts of water and soap suds, so of course anything else can not be right.

If I can't use the brush bucket and hose I also use a "dry wash" tecnique but actually use a detail spray/clay bar lubricant, I have been doing this for about three years now and have seen no evidence either from my own actions or the professionals that this does any damage to the paintwork, I have read a lot of opinions though.

OK I will add that if it is covered in gritty salt in the winter I will resist the temptation to use dry wash, but I would also not use a wash mitt etc until I had blown the big bits away with the jet wash.

Martin
Thanks Martin. It's obviously sensible to take extra care with some "deposits" but we've had no problems in 6 or 7 years.

On a trip earlier this year I discovered that the nearside of the van had been splattered with what looked like mud but was actually cement, which had dried by the time I found it. Goodness knows how it happened but the upshot was that soap and water just wasn't going to touch it and, because it was obviously gritty, care was needed. I spot treated each splatter by spraying with Onedrywash. That softened the splatter and started to lift it to the extent that I could get under it with my thumbnail to chip the deposit away without damage. Took ages and ruined my thumb nails but it worked :D

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'd be very reluctant to use water and certainly not a power wash, whether it's on 'soft' spray or not. using a quality 'dry' wash - after gently removing 'course material' using a damp sponge - is the way forward

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
For those that think that dry wash on motorhomes is a good idea,
Wash your motor home the conventional way but use a white bucket for the suds and also have another white bucket with clean water to rinse your noodle mitt before applying more suds (often called two bucket method). When you have finished have a look in each bucket and see how much grit there is, this grit is being ground into the surface of your van using dry wash. Even on a clean looking van there is grit. I have tried the above method on a motor home that I had washed thoroughly the day before and was amazed how much grit was in the bottom of the bucket. I would never use a sponge for washing a motorhome, a noodle mitt costs about the same as a sponge, will not hold grit and will last a lot longer. I don't have any links to info, just a lot of experience of caring owners damaging their vans through misuse of products.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back