Hike in diesel taxation is imminent (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
In the 1970's I did some work at MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association). They knew then about the pollutants in diesel and successive governments have ignored the problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The sky is the limit

The sky is where we should start .. ! tax flying.. each passenger should pay the equivalent tax per mile flown, as paid by a car driver..

polluted by fuel guzzling jet planes..A fully laden A380, according to its’ engine maker Rolls Royce, uses as much energy as 3,500 family cars, equivalent to six cars for each passenger.

airlines dump massive amounts of dangerous pollutants over our homes and into our atmosphere every day. This great but largely invisible harm will continue to grow at an accelerating rate in the years to come.

Despite their shiny chrome exterior, an airplane, just like a power plant or an oil refinery, is dirty. Worse still, it is an industry on the move, growing in size and pollution in leaps and bounds. The governments of the world have the opportunity to dramatically cut airplane pollution, and help the climate.

Read More http://www.flyingclean.com/impacts_airplane_pollution_climate_change_and_health

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The sky is where we should start .. ! tax flying.. each passenger should pay the equivalent tax per mile flown, as paid by a car driver..

polluted by fuel guzzling jet planes..A fully laden A380, according to its’ engine maker Rolls Royce, uses as much energy as 3,500 family cars, equivalent to six cars for each passenger.

airlines dump massive amounts of dangerous pollutants over our homes and into our atmosphere every day. This great but largely invisible harm will continue to grow at an accelerating rate in the years to come.

Despite their shiny chrome exterior, an airplane, just like a power plant or an oil refinery, is dirty. Worse still, it is an industry on the move, growing in size and pollution in leaps and bounds. The governments of the world have the opportunity to dramatically cut airplane pollution, and help the climate.

Read More http://www.flyingclean.com/impacts_airplane_pollution_climate_change_and_health
Are you saying that you wont be paying any extra tax on diesel then Jim;):)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I will probably get a petrol car next time.

Just bought a new Lexus NX, when I asked about the engine options, especially which diesels they did, his reply 'Lexus don't do diesel engines any more, they think they have taken them as far as they can go, they are focusing on petrol now'

The previous car, a Merc, I enquired about engines and they said a petrol E class would be a special order

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are you saying that you wont be paying any extra tax on diesel then Jim;):)

happy to pay my way.. :)

it's cheap flights that need taxing .. glad I don't live near an airport .. it must be horrible all that toxic waste falling on people every day

more people are killed by polution from planes than by air crashes.. by a long way .. think about it the next time you jet off to the US ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am toying with the idea of just getting a little cheapish car with a small petrol engine.

I must be getting old:D

Deleted User
Just bought a new Lexus NX, when I asked about the engine options, especially which diesels they did, his reply 'Lexus don't do diesel engines any more, they think they have taken them as far as they can go, they are focusing on petrol now'

The previous car, a Merc, I enquired about engines and they said a petrol E class would be a special order

The next car I buy will be petrol. When you add in the almost inevitable cost of replacing the diesel particulate filter then the petrol option will probably be cheaper. There is also increasing pressure on the government to increase fuel duty on diesel as the UK is not meeting the EU regulations on emissions.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Not sure about your quoted figures Jim.
140715_JUI_AirplanePollutionChart.png.CROP.original-original.png

Deleted User
If it happens, it happens.

We will all have to pay in one form or another.

Whilst it is possible for motorists to use petrol,electric or hybrid cars there is no real alternative to diesel power for HGV's which will result in extra costs for hauliers which will ultimately be passed on to the consumer.

Even if some cargo is transferred to rail HGV's are still needed at either end of the rail journey.

Unless of course we go back to the original horsepower and canals...........but no more next day deliveries, more like next month!

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
happy to pay my way.. :)

it's cheap flights that need taxing .. glad I don't live near an airport .. it must be horrible all that toxic waste falling on people every day

more people are killed by polution from planes than by air crashes.. by a long way .. think about it the next time you jet off to the US ;)
Nah jim aircraft pollution goes the same way as gasses from a power station chimney. It goes up then falls as rain into the oceans. It is ground level pollution trapped at low level that is going to be taxed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nah jim aircraft pollution goes the same way as gasses from a power station chimney. It goes up then falls as rain into the oceans. It is ground level pollution trapped at low level that is going to be taxed.

ah , well that's ok then.. phewwww what a relief.. this site is such a good education.. :)

I'll go back to eating my porridge .. :sleep:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fact - the human race in the developed world wants to travel easily.
Fact - all fossil fuel engines pollute.
Fact - the human race puts convenience before everything else so will whinge about price increases but still pay them to buy convenience.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
ah , well that's ok then.. phewwww what a relief.. this site is such a good education.. :)

Cold be a good time to stock up on porridge before the increased hauliers costs are added to it.

Transported and polluted all the way from Scotland to Suffolk just for breakfast jim......blimey. :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have always been a diesel burner, mainly because I understand them better than petrol. Even to the extent of converting big old petrol engined cars to diesel before diesel cars were available. Admittedly in later years I moved over to engines suitable for bio diesel, but I had not had a petrol powered car for many years one and would not even consider buying one.

Then I bought the Dodge with the LPG conversion, am a totally changed man now. I have fallen in love with the petrol engine, but it must be converted to gas for me. Once the oil burning Skoda has given up and gone to the scrap yard I will be looking for an old Bentley on LPG as a shopping trolley.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Fact - the human race in the developed world wants to travel easily.
Fact - all fossil fuel engines pollute.
Fact - the human race puts convenience before everything else so will whinge about price increases but still pay them to buy convenience.
Fact-some engines pollute more than others. Now proven that burning diesel emits the most damaging exhaust gasses.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IMHO Lexus are right.

I think that Hybrid is the way forward.

MHs in particular would be perfect, plenty of low down space for batteries, big flat roof for solar panels.

I also think the average motorist has been steadily missold on diesel/mpg. When you compare total annual cost they still only make sense for those doing higher mileages.

Jon

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
No surprise here, buy a tent and get on your push bike, simples.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just as an aside

work out your mileage last year divide by your mpg then do £/l x 4.55.

then do the same again using 10 as your mpg figure - interesting?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Interesting addition to the saga. Government minister quoting on radio as we speak..:sneaky:
VW and other manufactures are to blame for the misunderstanding on many pollutants including NOX coming from diesel engines. :LOL:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just as an aside

work out your mileage last year divide by your mpg then do £/l x 4.55.

then do the same again using 10 as your mpg figure - interesting?

Interesting indeed, but I have never owned a motorhome that has done less than 10000 miles per year, and one or two that have done as much as 15000. Even having spent many months static in Benidorm last year the donkey of the outfit still managed 10000 miles.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
A lot of people buy a diesel car and then drive app. 6,000 miles a year and complain that the particulate filter needs changing, surely car salespeople should advise customers in the interest of both diesel emmisions and mileage minimums, or am I naive ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am toying with the idea of just getting a little cheapish car with a small petrol engine.

Can just see you in a Volvo............ Panama hat on the rear parcel shelf as you take your weekly trip to B&Q to take advantage of the 10% pensioners discount day

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007

I sold my Merc E280 d. Just bought a cheap runaround car Peugeot 107, same as Citroen Ci and Toyota Aygo. Cheap as chips to run and as fast as the traffic allows. Brill !
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back