LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just two days off grid - don't think I've been heavily using my 12v supply...
LED lighting, maybe 5hrs TV, maybe 3hrs Endless Breeze fan, phone charging, water pump as & when... which is why I'm asking at 3am...
Got up to go to the loo, switched on water pump to power the flush and noticed the onboard meter dive into the red, then the led lights started flickering :eek:!

Just got a multi meter across the terminals - 12.13v with no load (using a torch :))

Which I believe is equal to 50% is dangerously low....

So I was plugged in before setting off Sunday, then 100+ mile drive. Parked up overnight, then another 100+ mile drive here.

When I first got the van, I had 4 days at Lyndon Top no ehu.

Typically I'm on a trip so need to get it sorted if I need to...
Going to York next & then Whitby both with hook up but then 2 more days Britstop + 3 days at Dunstan Hill Alnwick without ehu before getting an electric pitch.

Should I risk it or get a replacement on the way to York?
Of course I have no tools, I'm lethal when it comes to practical.
So I'd need it fitted.
There's apparently an outfit called Battery Solutions York - heard of them.
http://www.batterysolutionsyork.co.uk/index.html
Would Halfords fit, they have a bargain 115Ah at £90
http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...ctrical-power/halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah

Should I risk it, or get a new one at "retail" prices...

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If the Battery Solutions outfit is known to you and on your way, given their field of expertise, presumably they can be trusted to test your battery and confirm if it's shot? At least then you would know and can act appropriately.

Do you have solar to help keep batteries topped up when not on hook up?

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Have you room for a second battery?

If so, get 2 new ones. Get one fitted to replace the existing and have the other installed when you get home.
If there's room alongside the 1st battery, have them both installed at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Without full knowledge of what amps hrs you started with and what amp hrs you have consumed
We are as wise as you,
you don't exactly sound like a frugal user that's for sure.-----LED Lights AND Fans!!!!:Eeek: whats going on ere then :doh:

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Geo LED's are low wattage - aren't they o_O ?
So, I thought was an Endless Breeze fan.
I appreciate that I don't know what I started with, except that I assumed a fully charged 110Ah battery.
I thought I was quite a frugal user :unsure:... Last year I did a 5-6 day trip, all Britstop, no ehu without problems, don't think I've dramatically changed/increased usage pattern ( apart from +/- 3h fan) - hence my shock that battery is 50% after just 2 days.

@Petest Yes, I do have room nearby for a second battery but my issue today, is the current one knacked. As above, I don't believe my usage has increased 3x as before I could be away 4 days at least without making a dent.

@RowleyBirkinQC No, no solar haven't needed it up to now, managed fine for several nights up to now, and no - Battery Solutions isn't known to me, I was hoping someone might know of them - or recommend an alternative ?

Anyway thanks for the comments so far (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Endless breeze fan 3 amps maximum, presumably it has different speed settings so the amps draw could be less. Used for a few hours could take a decent chunk from a single 110 ah battery.

Edit, just re read OP and three hours fan so not a lot but with 5 hrs TV it all adds up, and possibly your battery capacity is not what it used to be.

Martin

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
TV..... Just one item to be aware of.
You need to look at the wattage on the back.. It could be one that takes 4 amps an hour or as low as 1.5 amps..
Big difference in consumption and 5 hours a day adds up..

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I think I have a "numpty's" plan...

Tonight - Hook up on EHU for 24hrs, meter the battery to check it is actually being charged - the reading should be somewhere like 14.4v if it is, shouldn't it ???

Hopefully after 24h it should be fully charged (reading about 12.7v) ???

Wednesday night, use as normal (apart from fan), see what meter I have on Thurs & see if I have a problem ???

If I do, see if Battery Solutions can solve it - or if Funsters recommend an alternative supply & fitter ???

Is this a plan or just daft?
I don't even know what type of battery it is :whistle:.I presume sealed lead acid ???

IMG_20160607_041227-480x853.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Endless breeze fan 3 amps maximum, presumably it has different speed settings so the amps draw could be less. Used for a few hours could take a decent chunk from a single 110 ah battery.

Edit, just re read OP and three hours fan so not a lot but with 5 hrs TV it all adds up, and possibly your battery capacity is not what it used to be.

Martin

With my maths for the TV of a possible 4/2 amps x 5 hours x 2 days = 40/20 amps
@Funflairs. 3amps x 3 hours x 2 days = 18 amps

You can easily see how it adds up.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I appreciate that I don't know what I started with, except that I assumed a fully charged 110Ah battery.
I thought I was quite a frugal user :unsure:... Last year I did a 5-6 day trip, all Britstop, no ehu without problems, don't think I've dramatically changed/increased usage pattern ( apart from +/- 3h fan) - hence my shock that battery is 50% after just 2 days.

Have you been parked up for 2 days or did you move? It obviously makes a difference. On your last tour if you were moving to a new Britstop each day then you would have been charging as you were driving.

Fag packet calcs:

Assume your battery was fully charged your 110ah would give you 55ah usable.

Endless Breeze - max 3 amps x 3 hours = 9 amps
TV, don't know what you have so have used my Avtex - 1.9A x 5 hours = 9.5amps
Phone charging, lights, pump - hard to say for sure so lets call it 5 amps.

I'm assuming your fan and TV use was over the two days and not per day. If it was per day then that brings your usage to 45amps ish which explains your problem, especially, as Martin says, your battery isn't operating at full capacity.

Do you have any solar panels? If not with that sort of usage maybe it's time to invest

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

Tonight - Hook up on EHU for 24hrs, meter the battery to check it is actually being charged - the reading should be somewhere like 14.4v if it is, shouldn't it ???

Wednesday night, use as normal (apart from fan), see what meter I have on Thurs & see if I have a problem ???

If I do, see if Battery Solutions can solve it - or if Funsters recommend an alternative supply & fitter ???

I don't even know what type of battery it is :whistle:.I presume sealed lead acid ???

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry posted twice.
Have you been parked up for 2 days or did you move? It obviously makes a difference. On your last tour if you were moving to a new Britstop each day then you would have been charging as you were driving.

Fag packet calcs:

Assume your battery was fully charged your 110ah would give you 55ah usable.

Endless Breeze - max 3 amps x 3 hours = 9 amps
TV, don't know what you have so have used my Avtex - 1.9A x 5 hours = 9.5amps
Phone charging, lights, pump - hard to say for sure so lets call it 5 amps

The TV is a 22" Finlux, the label is hidden by the bracket :rolleyes:
The fan has only been used on lowest setting (1Ah?) and has been the only change to my usage as far as I know.

There has been 100+ miles between Britstops....

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
just had similar situation, sounds like the battery is on its way to the big battery heaven in the sky

If its any help, mine became predictable, same use each night and it started to bleep [van elec. panel] at the same time, 2 am every morning

At day break the solar put it back to usable, 12.6v

So while i way away I switched everything off at night and when i got home i fitted two new batteries
My batteries would come back to 12.6 volts, off charge, after charge , but didn't have any capacity so they dropped away rapidly during the night, when they got to 11v the camper beeped and dumped the power

Consider fitting a second battery if you have the space, but buy two batteries at the same time and the same spec, been at home makes this easier (y)

I bought these because they fitted
but other recommend these , but I couldn't fit them because of space, I would have chose these as they are a better battery

Check @Techno article as he has the spec on the second batteries

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

View attachment 109793

I think you have the same batteries as me XV110
they are not a pure leisure battery, they also have a starting capability , but i don't have a choice because of space
I fitted the second under a bench seat locker, in a battery box. I used jump lead cables cut down to connect them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The ones Halfrauds are doing are excellent.. and quite well priced considering their no quibble two year warranty

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry posted twice.

The TV is a 22" Finlux, the label is hidden by the bracket :rolleyes:
The fan has only been used on lowest setting (1Ah?) and has been the only change to my usage as far as I know.

There has been 100+ miles between Britstops....

TVs are all very much alike so that number won't be a million miles away.

If the fan has only been used on it's lowest it will obviously be less than 3 amps but I wouldn't assume that each speed consumes an equal third of the power.

Finally do you know how well your battery was charged before you set off? 100 miles (2 hours ish?) is nothing like long enough to properly charge it via the alternator if it was getting low. If for example it was only at 75% when you set out, you take another 20% out through use but then on your drive the alternator may have only put 15% back in. Then the next night your usage is enough to take flatten it.

(Those figures are just to demonstrate the example. I know they probably aren't accurate.)

I think your plan of getting it on hook up for 24 hours and taking it from there is probably the best thing to do. (y)

Going forward I think you're going to need to have a think. If you're planning to be off grid a lot with one battery and no solar panel you're always going to run the risk of this happening.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Unless your van charger is extremely clever then to put back 110Ah (+30 for normal battery losses = 140Ah) will take more than 30 hours assuming you don't use appliances at the same time.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Unless your van charger is extremely clever then to put back 110Ah (+30 for normal battery losses = 140Ah) will take more than 30 hours assuming you don't use appliances at the same time.
But if the battery is kaput it won't have any capacity, mine would come back quickly, voltage wise but discharge just as quickly

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Not necessarily at first. If your charger has a constant current stage, the voltage may start quite low (12.5V) if it's very discharged, and gradually rise to 14.4V or more over several hours. It will be feeding in its maximum current during this stage.

A fully charged battery with no load should show at least 13.0 volts - more like 13.3 I would expect. Voltage is not a reliable indicator of state of charge unless it's been standing with no load for several minutes if not hours. Definitely not if there is any kind of load on the battery.

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Last shout for any recommended battery supplier & fitter in York or surrounding area
??¿¿??¿¿??¿¿??

As a fallback, I have Halfords (if it fits the box), Battery Solutions (Google's) or a local mobile fitter suggested by CC site here.

I appreciate none might be cheapest/best but needs must. Alternative is to abort trip

Will contemplate extra battery and/or solar when I get home as last year existing single battery was sufficient for my needs.

Many thanks to each & all for your input.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
don't forget if you are going for dual batteries they need to be the same , i.e. age and rating, I made this mistake last time and only replaced my original battery:cool:
can you not limp around on min electrics till home time or go to sites with a hook up:)
how about a generator................only joking:)

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So this morning called Halfords, yes they have one, no they won't fit it. Why? Because it's not a 'starter' battery. But access is easier I point out. No, no can do (n).
Oh well.

Called the mobile guy - no batteries mate, not worth my while.
:(
Call Battery Solutions he said, mention my name.

Call Jonathan at aforementioned Battery Solutions...
No problem (y)
We discussed sizes, capacities & dimensions. All seemed good. Can I bring the MH around? For sure says he but I can come to you this evening if that's easier...

So, good as his word he turns up, swiftly swaps my old relabeled no name of indeterminate age for a brand new Exide ER550 115Ah.

I was going to happily part with £90+£10 fitting at Halfords...
Instead, I paid £105 for onsite service with a smile from a good guy, and have a warm feeling about supporting a local business as well.

If you're in the area, in need of a battery, you could do worse than check out;
http://www.batterysolutionsyork.co.uk/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back