Breakdown cover advice (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi - We intend to go for the first to France with the MH in September. We have bank provided travel insurance and UK breakdown insurance with the Caravan Club. The CC breakdown cover for the EU seems very pricey indeed.
Can any of the Funsters please advise us who they use for MH breakdown cover.
Thanks in advance
Ian

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Check with your motorhome insurer as they will often have good value breakdown cover as an add on
Hi -we are insured with the CC but it is them who are asking far too much to extend it to cover a one month tour of France
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
ADAC - there's plenty of threads on here about them, and I've rarely read anything about bad service. Try calling 0049 221472747 and don't be surprised to be answered in German, but just ask for an English speaker and you'll be put through and just ask about joining. When I renew my membership it usually takes about 2 minutes by telephone. You'll probably want the premium service which insures you (and your partner for a bit extra) to drive any vehicle all around Europe and the Mediterranean countries. I haven't yet found better value cover and their response times are excellent - and service is in English if you require. Best of luck!

Reactions: kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have gone with ADAC this year after doing some research on this great forum !. AA and the rest of the gang are a long way behind.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
ADAC here too.. just search for threads.
Some also recomend Nationwide.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It doesn't matter who you go with if you only want to take out cover for one month, you're going to be paying a heavy premium whoever you use. It's not business that anyone's going to be bothered about getting so they won't be doing anything to tempt you.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The ADAC cover will replace all your breakdown requirements .... (as will Nationwide if you have the account)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've never used them personally, my breakdown cover is provided by the insurance company, but I've read plenty of threads on here that suggest ADAC aren't all they're cracked up to be and certainly no better than any of the others.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well I have used them and can tell you that they are all they are cracked up to be. The benefits far out weigh most .. if not all uk policies.

I have seen posts about them not coming out on French autoroute but no one's breakdown company can collect you there. It has to be via the French police.
I've also seen a post where they cancelled part of a policy for over use.
I've seen zillions raving about them. And they are cheaper than any UK policy .. even Nationwide .
Cover is Euro zone plus morrocco

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well I have used them and can tell you that they are all they are cracked up to be.

Glad it's worked out for you. Personally I've heard enough horror stories about them to put me off ever taking the risk.

And they are cheaper than any UK policy .. even Nationwide .

Cost is the least important factor to me when buying something like this. I'm happy to pay more for a reliable service and I've read enough about ADAC service levels to make me not very confident that I would receive the service levels I expect.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We use CC red pennant, had it for about 7 years and never used it Until...... A French white Vanman wiped out our passenger Sid mirror.

Dangerous to drive to the Red Penant team organised replacement mirror and fitting - which took 3 days to complete.

Very thorough and kept us informed. In the end cost me £260 for the part.

So in the end you get what you pay for when you need it!

Worthwhile insurance for us!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Glad it's worked out for you. Personally I've heard enough horror stories about them to put me off ever taking the risk.
I'm curious where you heard your adac horror stories because I haven't and I consider myself quite thorough when researching things. I check every year before I renew.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm curious where you heard your adac horror stories because I haven't and I consider myself quite thorough when researching things. I check every year before I renew.

Just a couple from a quick Google search:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=317163
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/commun...-sites/ADAC---Some-disturbing-news/rt/439588/

From Fun:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/thanks-adac…not.57160/
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/adac-aa-uk-poor-relations.55084/

They also only rate at 5.3/10 on Trustpilot which isn't good.

All in all that's plenty for me to make a decision.

If all you want is cheap cover and are prepared to take the risk then maybe they're OK but that's not for me I'm afraid.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Seen all those ...
The AA unfortunately are .. well.. the AA.
Maybe they should choose another partner. But having said that they were with us in 20 mins.
Your three examples are valid but it's three.. for the largest breakdown insurance company in Europe.

I'm sure I could find three google examples for any company.
Always best asking real customers I find

Trustpilot

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Seen all those ...
The AA unfortunately are .. well.. the AA.
Maybe they should choose another partner. But having said that they were with us in 20 mins.
Your three examples are valid but it's three.. for the largest breakdown insurance company in Europe.

I'm sure I could find three google examples for any company.
Always best asking real customers I find

Trustpilot

Trustpilot? Far more than three unhappy customers on there.

Like I said if it works for you fine but it isn't for me. I'd rather pay more to a company I have some confidence in.

Just out of interest how many of the "happy customers" do you think have chosen ADAC for no other reason than that they are cheap and have then never once had to use them so actually have no idea how they would perform if needed?

My bet would be a lot.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We had no trouble with the Caravan Club "Red Pennet" breakdown service, and we had a G reg .

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Trustpilot? Far more than three unhappy customers on there.

Like I said if it works for you fine but it isn't for me. I'd rather pay more to a company I have some confidence in.

Just out of interest how many of the "happy customers" do you think have chosen ADAC for no other reason than that they are cheap and have then never once had to use them so actually have no idea how they would perform if needed?

My bet would be a lot.
I believe you're just trying to get a wee reaction ...
I'm sure if we searched the Web for the company that provide your recovery services we could pick holes in it ..
It works for lots... and as I pointed out it is the largest in Europe with an excellent reputation. As you haven't tried it I don't think you're really that qualified to just dismiss it..
But of course it's a free world and it's easy to just dismiss something because you read about it on Google (y)
(I'm not in the slightest interested in knowing who you use)
The op asked for advice on a company to use.. why not suggest one instead of .... :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I believe you're just trying to get a wee reaction ...
I'm sure if we searched the Web for the company that provide your recovery services we could pick holes in it ..
It works for lots... and as I pointed out it is the largest in Europe with an excellent reputation. As you haven't tried it I don't think you're really that qualified to just dismiss it..
But of course it's a free world and it's easy to just dismiss something because you read about it on Google (y)
(I'm not in the slightest interested in knowing who you use)
The op asked for advice on a company to use.. why not suggest one instead of .... :)

Not after a reaction. I've merely given my opinion the using the company you appear to be a cheerleader for is too much of a risk for me. This opinion is based on the information I've been able to find about that company. I never take much notice of the "praise praise praise" type reviews. I'm far more interested in the other type of review. The type of problems people have had and the way the company have resolved those problems tell me far more.

I feel perfectly comfortable dismissing it as an option for me based on the research I've done. I also dismiss a number of other Funster "holy grail" companies for similar reasons. I don't particularly care if anyone agrees with me or not. There are others that I have no hesitation in recommending based on personal experience.

If you had bothered to read my first post on this thread you would see that I've already said who I use although this will be changing in a few months time due to that companies performance on an issue that has nothing to do with breakdown cover.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Ian..

Re ADAC, I have no axe to grind.. nor have any personal experience.. I am with Comfort Insurance and they provide full Pan European breakdown cover

However, I suggest you ask Jock @JockandRita about his experience with ADAC.. or do a search for posts by him about his breakdown..

put it this way.. after reading I would not consider them.. you may or not be aware, there is a €200 limit on recovery outside Germany.. not sure what recovering costs are nowadays.. but I bet €200 won't get you far ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I did and you didn't...
Not comfy enough to cheerlead for them?:)

My mistake, it was the second post and you're right I didn't actually name them, I just said it was my insurer.

It's Comfort.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Having now researched this matter further just wondered if anyone would like to comment on Greenflag's european breakdown service. We've had excellent service in the UK from them.
Ian

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
ADAC for me mainly because their limit is 7500kg and 10m way more than the others, our van is 5300kg and 9m so I have little choice.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have green flag euro cover for the VAN £96 +£7 for any other vehicle you may be driving, cannot comment on service as never had to call them out .Long may that be the case lol.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ADAC for me mainly because their limit is 7500kg and 10m way more than the others, our van is 5300kg and 9m so I have little choice.
We're only 7M and 3400kg so don't need the kind of breakdown vehicle you would require.
Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back