Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi I got a left hand drive burstner, with a KPH only speedo can I get an overlay or can I swap the speedo with a MPH speedo?

Many Thanks Matt

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they make dual mph/kph overlay stickers cheap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
every vehicle i have as kmh speedo. the tacho in my truck does show both but all my cars and m,bikes are in kmh . 100 km is 60mph near enough .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi I got a left hand drive burstner, with a KPH only speedo can I get an overlay or can I swap the speedo with a MPH speedo?

Many Thanks Matt

Yes you can - you may not need an overlay - it depends on what your speedo displays but you may need to get a device that intercepts the signal and changes the sensitivity of the dial so that it displays speed and distance in miles rather than km.

Something like this: http://www.charnet-ltd.com/KPH_MPH_Speedo.html

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Many Thanks Matt
Yes contact these

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Yes you can - you may not need an overlay - it depends on what your speedo displays but you may need to get a device that intercepts the signal and changes the sensitivity of the dial so that it displays speed and distance in miles rather than km.

Something like this: http://www.charnet-ltd.com/KPH_MPH_Speedo.html

Speedo converters like these will only work on vehicles with a AC or square wave digital signal Japanese vehicles, designed roughly before 2006 and European vehicles before 2000, you have not said what year your Burstner is but it probably has a CAN based vehicle wiring system these are mainly only available for Japanese domestic built vehicles as these are the most common imported vehicles that are converted, so the cheapest option would either be a overlay or a second hand speedo, if you go the replacement speedo route either S/H or new it will probably need to be programmed to the vehicle by a main dealer.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just use a sat nav like I do.
Mounted closer to eye level, rather than looking down into the gloom, it's much easier to read and more accurate.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just use a sat nav like I do.
Mounted closer to eye level, rather than looking down into the gloom, it's much easier to read and more accurate.

Richard.
It won't pass an inspection required by the VCA so you won't be able to get the VCA certificate you need to be able to register ghe vehicle.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Our current van and last van only had kph and both are uk registered and the older one passed MOT ok.
I suspect they were registered before the rules changed.
Mine was registered new in 2008 but since I acquired it I fitted an overlay. I don't understand why so many are resistant to this as it's easy and cheap.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My original
image.jpeg

My new one has Mph and kph
image.jpeg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Van built to order through UK dealer and registered by them.
If it's ordered to UK spec it should have mph & Kph same as a RHD

Mine was ordered to UK spec but it had LHD headlights KPH speedo and fog light wrong side. That's dealers for you

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our current van and last van only had kph and both are uk registered and the older one passed MOT ok.
It will pass an MOT but you can not register a vehicle unless it has a mph speedo or duel marked speedo.

Quote from VCA form:
"That a speedometer has been fitted which is capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and
kilometres per hour, either simultaneously, or by operation of a switch.
Note: We can not accept secondary devices, hand written changes or multiple stickers applied to the
speedometer. We can only accept the changes detailed below.
The speedometer must be marked up to the maximum speed of the vehicle, with graduations at 1, 2, 5, or
10mph, and with values at intervals not exceeding 20mph. For this change we can accept the following
options.
a) That the factory fitted speedometer is dual marked as standard
b) The existing (digital) speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the
vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in mph
c) A miles per hour speedometer is fitted in-place of the factory fitted unit
d) A professional, single, miles per hour, overlay is applied directly to the speedometer face plate, not the
glass front plate (the overlay must be durable and accurate, with markings visible in both day and night
driving conditions).
e) A dual marked dial / facia has been added as a replacement to the factory fitted one"

I suspect they were registered before the rules changed.
Mine was registered new in 2008 but since I acquired it I fitted an overlay. I don't understand why so many are resistant to this as it's easy and cheap.
Rules changed April 2012.

It would be more useful to the OP if people checked the rules before posting inaccurate facts.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have this one for sale £25 to anyone who wants it.
The speed scale must match and the warning symbols must match exactly as these all vary between models
image.jpeg

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys thanks for the replys, The van is 2010 and has just passed the mot fine.

Techno i will check my display and let you know

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Cheers for the heads up about this, didn't bother me as I always use a sat nav for speed as it's easier to see than the dashboard speedo. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I much prefer to use the speedo especially abroad as there is a built in safety margin. If you use the sat nav which is bang on and you happen to be going just slightly over the speed limit you are caught guv

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I believe my satnav (TomTom) is more accurate than my speedo. I have a Citroen Relay RHD, and I can't read the kph, it's too small, so use the satnav abroad...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I believe my satnav (TomTom) is more accurate than my speedo. I have a Citroen Relay RHD, and I can't read the kph, it's too small, so use the satnav abroad...
Yes it is as I said just before you so if it says 33 and you get flashed in equal to a 30 abroad you are too fast
With the speedo if it says 33 you are only doing 30 so a margin of safety.

I'm lead to believe they don't give you any tolerance so you'll get done

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back