M/home, Brian James trailer, smart cabriolet + cycle (1 Viewer)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We are going away to France later on this year and taking our Smart cabriolet on a Brian James trailer. I would like to take my cycle as well but apart from fitting a bike rack on the cabriolet (expensive ) I at a loss at how I could achieve this. Any ideas?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I did fix a bike rack onto the A Frame of the trailer and put two bikes onto it, however the Citroën C1 was too close to the bikes for comfort but it may work on yours. I have seen many foreign caravans with bikes on the a frame so as long as you have room it should work.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
B-J extended the frame on my trailer when being built, and moved the axles forward to compensate. I carried a small Motorcycle across the Frame. some increase in "nose weight" is inevitable though.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Folding bike? I picked up a "Dahon" (not quite as posh as Brompton, but close) for £120 on Fleabay, hardly used. Great bit of kit - folds up or down in under a minute to go in our garage, adjusts easily to fit either Mrs F (5'4") or me (6'2" and errrm, a bit heavier :rolleyes:).

My kids tell me it looks ridiculous when I ride it but I'm well past the stage of caring!!!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
i have to ask , how small is the trailer?? Stick a rack on the A frame, or an elevated one on the tow bar.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have the same combination of trailer & car. On the trailer A frame in front of the car I've mounted a toolbox. There is room in that position for a Fiamma cycle wheel track leaving you to find a suitable upper support for the bike.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've the same car with a Brian James micromax trailer. A two bike rack on the a frame is ideal as the smart is over a foot from the front. Make sure you position the car in a balanced position so that the weight is distributed. I've found that with the car about one foot from the front this gives a ball weight on the van of 85 kgs. It rides well and tyre pressures of 80 is ideal.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've the same car with a Brian James micromax trailer. A two bike rack on the a frame is ideal as the smart is over a foot from the front. Make sure you position the car in a balanced position so that the weight is distributed. I've found that with the car about one foot from the front this gives a ball weight on the van of 85 kgs. It rides well and tyre pressures of 80 is ideal.
If I park the Smart a foot from the front the rear tyres are over the edge at the rear! Mines a BJ Bantam.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thanks everyone for your input. I had not thought about an A frame mounted carrier, it's something I will have to investigate.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After trawling eBay for best part of a few weeks for a cycle rack to fit on the trailer A frame I managed to find one for £50 Inc postage. Fitted it yesterday and I'm well chuffed. Thank you everyone for your suggestions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back