Views on 2006 Hobby T650 AK KLC on a Ford Transit 2.0 TDCI ( 135 BHP) (1 Viewer)

trab

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
CORK, IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Hi All,
I am interested intrading up a few years to a 2006 Hobby T650 AK KLC. I shall be making a 700 mile round trip to view this van and need to ease my concern about the power house it uses. It is a low milage motorhome ( 6k ) built on Ford Transit driven by a 2.0 litre TDCI engine ( 135 BHP ). It is a 6 berth and similar in size to the Adria which I currently own. The Adria is driven by a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD built on a maxi chassis. I have been pleased with the power / torque offered by the Fiat.

Can anyone help me compare the Fiat 2.8 JTD and the Ford 2.0 TDCI ( 135 BHP ) from a performance point of view. I have no knowledge of the Ford power house and am concerned that it would be found lacking.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Trab 006 Ford Transit Hobby T650 AK KLC - 6 BERTH

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi All,
I am interested intrading up a few years to a 2006 Hobby T650 AK KLC. I shall be making a 700 mile round trip to view this van and need to ease my concern about the power house it uses. It is a low milage motorhome ( 6k ) built on Ford Transit driven by a 2.0 litre TDCI engine ( 135 BHP ). It is a 6 berth and similar in size to the Adria which I currently own. The Adria is driven by a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD built on a maxi chassis. I have been pleased with the power / torque offered by the Fiat.

Can anyone help me compare the Fiat 2.8 JTD and the Ford 2.0 TDCI ( 135 BHP ) from a performance point of view. I have no knowledge of the Ford power house and am concerned that it would be found lacking.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Trab 006 Ford Transit Hobby T650 AK KHHLC - 6 BERTH
Hi trab i had the same on my burstner and found the engine excellent,very smooth it was an 08 plate so i shouldnt have had any probs anyway.I found it to be just like driving a mondeo with the set up of the dash.you should be quite impressed.ps i only changed cause the motorhome side of things wasn't roomy enough:thumb:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have been pleased with the power / torque offered by the Fiat

The Transit should have more Tourqe and be a fair bit quicker and quiter than and old cab Fiat. We had a 2007, 2.2 130 Bhp Hymer and it went well enough. Things to watch out for on Transits: stalling problems when moving of as well as ECU light coming on and possable poor brakes.

Are you sure it is 135 BHP as the 2.0 is normally 125BHP the only 135BHP Transits are the 2.4 Rear wheel drive ones.

Richard...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Transit should have more Tourqe and be a fair bit quicker and quiter than and old cab Fiat. We had a 2007, 2.2 130 Bhp Hymer and it went well enough. Things to watch out for on Transits: stalling problems when moving of as well as ECU light coming on and possable poor brakes.
Are you sure it is 135 BHP as the 2.0 is normally 125BHP the only 135BHP Transits are the 2.4 Rear wheel drive ones.
Richard...

Richards second point regards power is worth checking out. If its front wheel drive probabbly 125 bhp. dont let this put you of though as the transit is a powerful van ( I have a 2007 130bhp Euramobil) I found the 2.8 fiat agricultural in comparison.

OP
OP
T

trab

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
CORK, IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Richards second point regards power is worth checking out. If its front wheel drive probabbly 125 bhp. dont let this put you of though as the transit is a powerful van ( I have a 2007 130bhp Euramobil) I found the 2.8 fiat agricultural in comparison.

Thanks Folks,

I may well have got it wrong with regard to the BHP being 135. From what you guys are saying it is most likely 125.
I gather then that I need not be overly concerned about the Ford.
Now must get ready for that road Trip up the country. On our Irish roads it is not likely to be quite what you would be used to in the UK.
Slán
Trab

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
Hobby Engine Power

I have a Hobby 650 FC on a Transit chassis with the 2ltr 125bhp Duratec engine solo empty 2 up it performs very well cruise can be 70mph if you need, from there it does of course depend how much you load it, we take around 300kgs of stuff with a full of diesel &30 litres of water ands its fine, now wait for it also on trips abroad I tow on an A frame a Diahatsu Charade (750 kgs), cruising at 55/60mph the limit towing, it is still fine, only on a trip to Millau did I need 4th gear up the long inclines. Just drive it with consideration. As for comparing it to a Fiat engine well its chalk and cheese the Ford duratec is know in the motor trade as the best engine at any price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We currently have a Mk 6 Ford 2.4, 135bhp twin rear-wheel drive Rimor (7.14m). Prior to this we had a Fiat 2.3JTD (2003), 110 bhp front wheel drive Rapido (5.53m). Despite the Rapido being a little cutie-pie and very quick off the mark, we were amazed to find our much larger and heavier Rimor like lightening by comparison! The Ford we have is an excellent vehicle, it accellorates very quickly (you do get used to how to avoid the 'stalling' on setting off after few goes :Blush:).

We are shortly changing our van for a Chausson Flash 04 on a Ford Mk 7 2.4, 140bhp front wheel drive - we have driven a standard van with the smaller Mk 7 engine (can't remember exactly but I think it was the 100bhp one) and it went like it had a rocket up it's exhaust so expect the larger engine to be brilliant even with a motorhome body on the rear!!!:Smile:

In a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about the Ford base, I'm sure you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have owned a 2.8 Fiat and now 2.2 Fwd Ford. Would not hesitate to have another Ford it has done everything asked of it, with no trouble can't ask for more.

Dave :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back