omnistep 440 motor/gearbox needed (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Any one know were I can source a motor/gearbox unit for my omnistep 440? the rubish aluminum gear has broken into bits?

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
have you tried olearys motorhomes?

normally have very obscure bits available and if unable to give to you always willing to help you locate one.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I take it that the superglue bit was a joke!? as to onmistore, they don't list any spares, at least I can't find any.
Doug.

Hi Doug,

Was'nt joking, a fiamma motor gearbox kit is £219-22p ! and Fiamma are normally cheaper than Omnistore.

Try phoning CaraCamp on 0844-8009949

Peter

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
have you tried olearys motorhomes?

normally have very obscure bits available and if unable to give to you always willing to help you locate one.

There was nothing listed but I sent them a e-mail.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Doug.
The superglue idea is not a bad one, if you have all the bits. It's common practice to make a gear in a train as a sacrificial gear in case of jamming, this is possibly why it is plastic.
A common material is fibre or plastic, I know as a service engineer to get myself out of trouble at weekends I have done just that, and most times it has worked till I could get the correct part. If you are stuck worth a try.
...........................[pun not intended]

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
the rubish aluminum gear has broken into bits?

Doug...

There are people who can weld aluminum - I've never done it and I believe it's quite a skilled task, the gear would then need a bit of machining required - but if you've got any of those model railway engineer types living near you they might help out - just a thought.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Any one know were I can source a motor/gearbox unit for my omnistep 440? the rubish aluminum gear has broken into bits?

Doug...

Sorry Doug on re-reading noticed you had put aluminium, thought it was plastic.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
My Omni store 440 step was completely knackered and had to be replaced, I had it done at Newbury show it cost £350 in total including the motor, step ,cabling and fitting, strangely the old motor was working very well,it was just the step that wore out, I have kept the old motor complete as Sods law says if you discard it you will need it as soon as you do .Mine was fitted by HILLVIEW AWNINGS, very helpful one man band. I would give them [him] a ring as I'm pretty sure he could help you, he is a mobile fitter and is usually at the shows, I don't have his number to hand but could find it if you can't find him by GOOGLEING.:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Doug,

Was'nt joking, a fiamma motor gearbox kit is £219-22p ! and Fiamma are normally cheaper than Omnistore.

Try phoning CaraCamp on 0844-8009949
Peter

Oh dear silly me I never read the question:Doh:

Thought it was an awning not a step!:cry:

Any way try that number, according to my lot they stock omnistore spares

Peter

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Step update

The last couple of day’s has seen me do yet another repair to my motor home.

This time it was the automatic step to the accommodation. The step unit is the (Omnistep 440, 2 step made in Italy) and the large gear that drives the arm that actuates the step broke into two pieces, the gear is made of a very poor quality aluminium, a most unsuitable material for this propose and the design was ridiculously weak it consists of a gear wheel with 2 thin spokes, not 3, or 4 but 2!!! The centre of the gear supported by the 2 spokes has a hexagon hole to take a steel drive shaft.

Both spokes broke leaving the gear unattached to the centre and unable to rotate the drive shaft.

I had to do a repair quickly as my better half can’t get into the accommodation without the step and it’s inconvenient to carrying a plastic beer crate around.

The repair I used was to reposition the centre using the fracture marks as a guide and pack/fill the space within the gear wheel with polyester car filler, filing back any excess after it had cured.

As the hexagon hole was a very lose fit on the steel shaft, the inaccuracy of the centre’s position was not important and the repair was successful.

The repair cost a few Euros and seem to be stronger than the original, it’s certainly quieter.

Doug…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back