Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We are thinking of getting an inflatable awning for our Autotrail Apache. Looked at some at the shows but would really like to hear any opinions or advice. Plan to use in Spain so needs to be decent material that will withstand sun. Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think they are a constantly improving product, we have a Kampa Air XL, it is heavy and puts quite a strain on the awning when extended to fit

I am seriously considering a lightweight awning with flexible poles to replace it at a fraction of the price we paid

edit, ours is nearly 4 years old

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
to use in Spain so needs to be decent material that will withstand sun

and that's your biggest challenge..

I've seem many awnngs almost in shreds after a full season in the sun... and I've had several that have succumbed to the UV .. they all do eventually .. so I don't think there is such an animal..

as to your question.. I've just bought the Kampa Rally Air Pro and am very impressed by quality of the tube and awing materials.. and how easy it is to erect.. as said.. it is quite heavy.. but much easier to put up than one with a bag of poles like a Rubiks cube.. .. otherwise known as a divorce in a bag..

not had a chance to use in anger yet, I need to fit an awning rail as my wind out awning is too far back to have the Kampa over the hab door..

this was a trial and not pegged out, and you can see the problem

DSCF2324.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Thanks. Seems to be a bit of a mine field and also what could be expensive mistakes!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Our Kampa Air Rally inflatable awning withstood the worst weather that the Spanish winter could subject it to. It endured a 24 hour deluge of torrential rain which resulted in local flooding. It also withstood strong winds gusting at 70 - 80 mph. It stood solid as a rock for five months. I am very impressed and pleased with it.
Brisey.

Deleted User
We have a Vango Kella tall inflatable, drive away, used it for a month in Portsmouth last summer no problems. Works best when used as a stand alone as it can be noisy when it's windy, and would have concerns about damage to van if attached to wind out in even moderate winds.
Quick and easy to put up can position it unattached close to any door. (and little noise when unattached)
FB_20150815_19_07_18_Saved_Picture.jpg

Pic is it attached at York Marina, but rarely use this way now, preferring it free standing.

Lin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We also have the Kampa Rally Air Pro ours is the 260L 2015 model weight 18kgs It's so easy to erect, we extend the awning rail out just an inch or two and feed the bead in, this can then be pulled across easily standing on the ground, then all it requires is about 4 mins pumping air into the beams (a 12v electric pump can be used) then peg out.
We're well pleased with it and seems a quality item.

Pete

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi, have ordered the vango galli tall from @johns cross, not received yet so cant comment on it. Looks like good piece of kit, it runs parallel to van so can fit in smaller pitches. We also had the vango kella which we liked but lost in a house fire a while ago.

Frankie

Deleted User
Whilst discussing inflatable ones, does anyone have one where the zips open to to bottom?
That's one annoyance with ours you have to unzip the sides including fly screen from bottom to top so no option of having them unzipped to finish about waist height, with the dogs it would be a lot easier when it's hot to be able to keep the lower half zipped to stop them wandering out. If could find one like ours that zipped other way would change, other than that very happy with it.

Deleted User
yes.. the Kampa front panel zip gliders are at the top, you can roll the panel down to half way .. veranda style
Ah great, thanks will take a look, other option is I'm wondering if @Terry amazing seamstress friend might be able to change our zips to two way ones?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah great, thanks will take a look, other option is I'm wondering if @Terry amazing seamstress friend might be able to change our zips to two way ones?

yes.. I guess anything is possible with a Singer :D

zips may be expensive though..

Dawsden

Free Member
May 30, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo autosleeper
Exp
5 years
We brought ours after struggling with old one....2 hrs later and we was nowhere near managing to put it up The inflatable was up in minutes...just fab. Unfortunately, we have now upgrade our van and its too short for the new one....only used it once:devil:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi Lin been away at Thetford with no signal since Thursday so only just catching up --Not seen Julie yet but I would think it should be an easy enough job -She buys zips on a roll and puts her own pull/zip ends on /2 ends is not unusual but heavy zipper/zips she would have to order in -only keeps stuff for cushions -Will mention it to her when I see her in the morning -
terry

Deleted User
Hi Lin been away at Thetford with no signal since Thursday so only just catching up --Not seen Julie yet but I would think it should be an easy enough job -She buys zips on a roll and puts her own pull/zip ends on /2 ends is not unusual but heavy zipper/zips she would have to order in -only keeps stuff for cushions -Will mention it to her when I see her in the morning -
terry
Great thanks Terry :)

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi
We opted for the Quest Aquilla and are very happy with it.
Single room, good size tunnel, low height fits my Benimar 286 perfectly, picture ofit on another post in awnings, posted about 3 weeks ago.
T

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. We really like the Kampa air rally pro 390. Only query is our fiamma awning is 240 cm at front and 245 at back. The Kampa awning is 250cm. Might sound daft question but would it work if we raised that side on levellers to 250 ?Only thing would be would have to use 4 levellers or would be tilting sideways. Just trying to imagine it...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just bought a Kampa Air pro CL it fits up to our windout at 2700

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for all your replies. We really like the Kampa air rally pro 390. Only query is our fiamma awning is 240 cm at front and 245 at back. The Kampa awning is 250cm. Might sound daft question but would it work if we raised that side on levellers to 250 ?Only thing would be would have to use 4 levellers or would be tilting sideways. Just trying to imagine it...

5 cm is only a couple of inches.... the height isn't that critical .. The L: fits 250 - 265 cm .. so I don't think it would be a problem,..

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Another question.... We are ok with putting her on levellers if necessary to get the correct height. Now we need to know the amount of gap you need from the top of the hab door to top of awning to be able to have clearance. Have spoken to John Cross and Kampa but neither can give specific measurements. John Cross estimates 6-7 inches. If it is a specific measurement I cannot understand why the manufacturers don't put it in the information. Are there a lot of people who have bought one then cannot open the door? We cannot find anywhere that has this model on show (only caravan ones). Has anyone got the Kampa motor air rally pro 390 who may be able to help? Did not realise that finding an awning would be such hard work!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When we were on a rally at Fraisthorpe last bank holiday , a caravan ( next to us ) had one fitted. To be honest it was a very old caravan , but a brand new awning. But it looked the right size for it.
Don't know the make but it had zipped doors all the way round it. As in zips after each window panel. Was blue and grey and had flourescant green guy lines and straps. The old couple wEre very proud of it. Showing various folk who came around to see them. It was windy , Fraisthorpe is known for it, as the hours went by it started to dip front left corner. The bloke tried to sort it. This happened several times. The woman tried , slotting a blown up thing back in the corner several times. Then the grandson came out , told them it was down in the corner. Full on Domestic .
Over the weekend they moved the straps , had the foot pump out, grandad kicked it, grandma kept shaking her head saying bloody waste of money........ After 2 days they gave up with it . Just left it all saggy. Maybe they had a puncture. But something told us it would be going back to where they bought it.

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Thats the first negative thing we have read about them and have read lots of reviews. Sounds like it had a puncture. It is a lot of money to spend thats why doing as much research as possible. Thanks for your input.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We looked at them last week in a camping place in Norwich. We ended up getting an old fashioned one with poles. I am suspicious of anything inflatable :D

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
It was windy , Fraisthorpe is known for it, as the hours went by it started to dip front left corner. The bloke tried to sort it. This happened several times. The woman tried , slotting a blown up thing back in the corner several times. Then the grandson came out , told them it was down in the corner. Full on Domestic .
Over the weekend they moved the straps , had the foot pump out, grandad kicked it, grandma kept shaking her head saying bloody waste of money........ After 2 days they gave up with it . Just left it all saggy. Maybe they had a puncture. But something told us it would be going back to where they bought it.

It sounds very much like that they hadn't pegged it out properly/squarely, especially at the corners. If had been a puncture, the whole thing would have deflated, not just "one corner"!

Pete

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It sounds very much like that they hadn't pegged it out properly/squarely, especially at the corners. If had been a puncture, the whole thing would have deflated, not just "one corner"!

Pete

I wouldn't know, we've never had one. But he tried the guy ropes at all angles to the corner of awning.
The blow up bit , that was in the corner , going up the edge , kept popping out into the awning space. Half way down the side of the window. He actually punched it back into place a few times. :Eeek:
At one point he blamed the grandson . Saying it started when he opened a particular zip.
A caravanner couple of friends of ours call awnings "a divorce in a bag ! "
We felt sorry for this couple. I bet it spoilt there weekend. They were either sat in it , cursing :boxing:, or the van , when ever we went back to the Motorhome.

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
I wouldn't know, we've never had one. But he tried the guy ropes at all angles to the corner of awning.
The blow up bit , that was in the corner , going up the edge , kept popping out into the awning space. Half way down the side of the window. He actually punched it back into place a few times. :Eeek:
At one point he blamed the grandson . Saying it started when he opened a particular zip.
A caravanner couple of friends of ours call awnings "a divorce in a bag ! "
We felt sorry for this couple. I bet it spoilt there weekend. They were either sat in it , cursing :boxing:, or the van , when ever we went back to the Motorhome.
Sounds awful. Exactly what we are trying to avoid !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Ralph-n-Bev

whatever the make it certainly wasn't a Kampa.. no way would the tubes 'pop out' .. each air beam is contained in a strong nylon sleeve..

and the likelihood of a puncture is almost zero..

The air beams are not like blown up car inner tubes.. they are tough, heavy duty reinforced nylon..

that is why Kampa are NOT cheap...

@Jandek don't be put off by scare stories..

I've had many many awnings and the Kampa Rally Air Pro is a fantastic bit of kit.. easy to erect, tough and strong.. and no bag od heavy poles.. I've yet to read a bad review by an owner..

Once you see one in the flesh you will know what I mean..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another question.... We are ok with putting her on levellers if necessary to get the correct height. Now we need to know the amount of gap you need from the top of the hab door to top of awning to be able to have clearance. Have spoken to John Cross and Kampa but neither can give specific measurements. John Cross estimates 6-7 inches. If it is a specific measurement I cannot understand why the manufacturers don't put it in the information. Are there a lot of people who have bought one then cannot open the door? We cannot find anywhere that has this model on show (only caravan ones). Has anyone got the Kampa motor air rally pro 390 who may be able to help? Did not realise that finding an awning would be such hard work!!
Isn't it based on the height of the awning rail you attach it to.?

Caravan's will have a lower roof ( to the awning ) than most motorhomes. As I recall Kampa make 2 sizes - one for caravans the other for motorhomes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have a look at mine.. it's only up 'slack' not pegged out.. you can see the door height and also the quality of the materials..

The door won't hit the roof provided the rail is about 6 in above the door

as I said in an earlier post, I'm fitting an awning rail so I can fit it over the hab door..

DSCF2323.jpg
DSCF2324.jpg
DSCF2325.jpg
DSCF2326.jpg
DSCF2327.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.