sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
my mate has just bought a caravan and the plugs are showing live and neutral reversed on the tester when on EHU outside our house, when i put the reverse polarity lead i have for the motorhome for france on the caravan, the sockets show correct on the tester, any idea what it could be please the van is a 2005 Lunar ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, something in the caravan is reverse polarity.

It could be anywhere between the EHU connection and the socket you tested at.

If you really want to find it then it's basic fault finding - work back through the system until you find it.

Personally as long as the caravan has RCD protection I wouldn't be that worried about it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The live and neutral leads have been swapped. Either in your mate's motorhome wiring or in your socket outside your house. If it is OK when your motorhome is plugged in then it is in your mate's motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
The live and neutral leads have been swapped. Either in your mate's motorhome wiring or in your socket outside your house. If it is OK when your motorhome is plugged in then it is in your mate's motorhome.
it,s fine when our van is plugged in, guess he will need an electrician to come look at it then.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Yes, something in the caravan is reverse polarity.

It could be anywhere between the EHU connection and the socket you tested at.

If you really want to find it then it's basic fault finding - work back through the system until you find it.

Personally as long as the caravan has RCD protection I wouldn't be that worried about it.
All sockets show it..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All sockets show it..

So the first place I would look would be the fusebox and establish whether it's just that circuit or all of them.

From there it should be relatively straightforward. If it's just that circuit then you can fix it there.

If it's all of them then it's got to be either the connections to the main switch in the fuse box or the connections in the EHU socket.

It's a multimeter and screwdriver job but remember it's mains voltage so if you're not sure get some help.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is he using his own EHU cable? If so it might be worth checking that by swapping it for a known good one. Also worth checking the previous owner hasn't fitted a magic switch somewhere which reverses polarity.

Otherwise, just tell him only to holiday in France and he'll be right in most places. :)

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Thanks everyone, found a live wire going in to a neutral circuit on one of the RCD,s on main board , switched round and all ok now, just wondering who might have done that in the first place....Thanks again for the help..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks everyone, found a live wire going in to a neutral circuit on one of the RCD,s on main board , switched round and all ok now, just wondering who might have done that in the first place....Thanks again for the help..

Quite possibly like that from the day it was built.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
First thing I would do is forget about it.
Perfectly acceptable on the continent and can be wired either way.
It's only us Brits that get in a flap about it.

Except that UK switches ONLY switch the "live" way, and not both ways. Which means that any appliance attached could still be Neutral live?, even when not in use.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back