Planning to travel for two years (1 Viewer)

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
My wife and myself have decided to rent out our home put our furniture in storage and travel around for 2 years the majority of time in Europe has anyone else got experience if this what should we anticipate my wife is especially worried any constructive advice would be appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My wife and our two kids were full time for three years.. Have no experience of renting out a house as we sold up the lot..

You will need Full Time motorhome insurance.. as far as I know , Comfort Insurance are they only providers and offer it on a case by case basis.. It's not cheap .. probably around £1,000 - £1,200 .. get this sorted before you do anything else.. it's really important.

You will also need a c/o address for insurance purposes and your driving licence, a friend or family member can provide this..

There are several others on here who are full time, but may have different circumstances.. so specific questions will get more focussed replies..

good luck .. it's a big adventure, there are hurdles, but all can be overcome..

we also have a sister forum, free to join.. dedicated to full timing , Motorhome 365

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My partner and I bought the our m/home, intending to travel Europe but never got to do it.
However, I inadvertently spent 9 months, then a year full timing, although 90% of that time in the UK.

Put your house with a good letting agent that you trust. Inspection reports can be emailed to you. Worth the % payable as they will sort out any problems, repairs etc. Don't pay more than 10%, I've just haggled mine down to 8%. I've found rental protection insurance that pays the rent if tenant fails to, pays legal costs of resting them out and rent for 2 months after they leave. Change your house insurance to Landlord's insurance. If you have a mortgage you are supposed to inform the lender.
Take your EHIC card ( might have changed its name) and a comprehensive first aid kit.
Pay for European breakdown cover.
Have a contingency fund and plan in case your vehicle is off the road for any time.

And do it ---- it will be the most wonderful experience. I found full timing with 2 dogs and 2 cats easy and very relaxing. You have to be economical on clothes and space, amount of stuff you can take but in many ways that's actually very liberating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
My partner and I bought the our m/home, intending to travel Europe but never got to do it.
However, I inadvertently spent 9 months, then a year full timing, although 90% of that time in the UK.

Put your house with a good letting agent that you trust. Inspection reports can be emailed to you. Worth the % payable as they will sort out any problems, repairs etc. Don't pay more than 10%, I've just haggled mine down to 8%. I've found rental protection insurance that pays the rent if tenant fails to, pays legal costs of resting them out and rent for 2 months after they leave. Change your house insurance to Landlord's insurance. If you have a mortgage you are supposed to inform the lender.
Take your EHIC card ( might have changed its name) and a comprehensive first aid kit.
Pay for European breakdown cover.
Have a contingency fund and plan in case your vehicle is off the road for any time.

And do it ---- it will be the most wonderful experience. I found full timing with 2 dogs and 2 cats easy and very relaxing. You have to be economical on clothes and space, amount of stuff you can take but in many ways that's actually very liberating.

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
We do have grandchildren so we were thinking we may return to UK in the summer for a couple of months. The cost of insurance is a bit of a shock any tips to reduce it. Thank you for your advice

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Read Marie Potter and the Campervan of Doom....it's true, they did it and will answer a lot of your questions. It's also funny. I say 'go for it' there's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Join this site then you can keep us entertained with your posts! Plus, it's a great place to ask for advice and help.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We do have grandchildren so we were thinking we may return to UK in the summer for a couple of months. The cost of insurance is a bit of a shock any tips to reduce it. Thank you for your advice

sorry, no tips.. much depends on your personal circumstances, age and value of motorhome etc.. have a chat with Comfort .. they are very helpful.
http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/contact/

info http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/2012/12/05/living-in-a-motorhome/

more here

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You will need to return to the UK for a MOT, unless your van is less than 3 years old.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If your not living in your van when you return surely that's not classed as fulltiming (for insurance) ?

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Read Marie Potter and the Campervan of Doom....it's true, they did it and will answer a lot of your questions. It's also funny. I say 'go for it' there's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Join this site then you can keep us entertained with your posts! Plus, it's a great place to ask for advice and help.
Do you have a ISBN number of the book please

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Thank you everyone for your comments
there is a lot to consider especially spending a couple of months back
In England in the summertime we usually go out in the MH with the grandchildren

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One more point, @Armytwowheels have done exactly what you're thinking of but I believe they'll come back to the UK for a month or two during the summer, taking advantage of this for MOT purposes.

They have rented out their properties and struggle by on their measly income, I'm actually toying with the thought of sending them a food parcel.

Feel free to PM Sandra, they have a mine of info on the subject............ Griff

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
:hiya2:Thanks for that it is good to know there are people like yourself who will send out food parcels to the MH fin club needy I will keep you in mind

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
One more point, @Armytwowheels have done exactly what you're thinking of but I believe they'll come back to the UK for a month or two during the summer, taking advantage of this for MOT purposes.

They have rented out their properties and struggle by on their measly income, I'm actually toying with the thought of sending them a food parcel.

Feel free to PM Sandra, they have a mine of info on the subject............ Griff

We too are struggling living on just our rent from our one property, any food parcels welcome (veggie)(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If your not living in your van when you return surely that's not classed as fulltiming (for insurance) ?

If you came back and lived in your own home, or rented a property, yes...

but whatever the circumstances, it's vital to discuss frankly and openly with the insurer .. non discloser will void a policy ..
you may get insurance and it may let you purchase VED .. it may satisfy a police roadside check.. but come the day you actually need it.. up sh1t creek ... and as a full timer on the road 365 you are more likeley to have a claim than the seasonal user ..

In my whole driving life, car and motorhomes, I've only ever had one claim.. guess when.. yes, when I was full time.. and it was a big claim.. which thankfully NFU settled without quibble..

non-disclosure in insurance cases
"Non-disclosure" refers to the situation where a customer fails to reveal a relevant fact when applying for – or renewing – an insurance contract. It is widely recognised that in some situations involving non-disclosure, applying the strict legal position can result in an unduly harsh outcome for the customer. For this reason, when we deal with insurance cases involving non-disclosure or "misrepresentation" – an incorrect statement made by a customer – we take account of both the law and good industry practice.

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
I am going to have to think very carefully with this one thanks for sharing

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Just down loaded book. I will get on and read it, The wife is currently reading the paper back book by Ali Kingston. Thank you for suggesting it.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
You will need Full Time motorhome insurance.. as far as I know , Comfort Insurance are they only providers and offer it on a case by case basis.. It's not cheap .. probably around £1,000 - £1,200 .. get this sorted before you do anything else.. it's really important.

I full-time and am insured with Comfort but...... If I was applying now I would not qualify to be accepted as they deem my motorhome too old. I am curious as to what new full-timers with vans 8+ years old can do or are they not allowed to full-time?

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
My van is 3 years old thanks for informing me as I as not aware maybe some of the other funsters can advice

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I am curious as to what new full-timers with vans 8+ years old can do or are they not allowed to full-time?
We're in that situation. We recently bought a 2008 RV with the intention of full-timing in it as soon as the house is sold. Then we discovered that we can't get full-time insurance for it. I guess we should have checked, but I knew that insurance was available through Comfort, but had no idea about the recent change to the age/value restrictions (it's actually worse for American motorhomes, we would currently need one manufactured after 2010) and hadn't seen them mentioned anywhere.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I full-time and am insured with Comfort but...... If I was applying now I would not qualify to be accepted as they deem my motorhome too old. I am curious as to what new full-timers with vans 8+ years old can do or are they not allowed to full-time?

yes.. as I mentioned..
sorry, no tips.. much depends on your personal circumstances, age and value of motorhome etc.

We were with NFU but I believe they have stopped insuring full timers ..

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Why thank you Griff, a food parcel would be most welcome once we are back in the UK in a few weeks, you are so kind. Thinking about it though I would rather just swing by your place again so we can eat and drink you out of house and home again. Colin says he's only coming to see you if you have replenished your stock of Liquorice allsorts?

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Celandine and welcome.

We do indeed more or less full time in our van, although officially we live with Colins mum and spend a bit of time there too. Everything is registered there - insurance, driving licences income tax, the lot. We are even registered for voting there and will be home in time to vote in the referendum.

If you can keep a base in the UK it makes everything easier with regards to red tape stuff. Mother in law opens all post and scans anything she thinks is important to send us by email. We can react quickly to anything that needs paying or the usual Utility Company cockups!

We have been very lucky with our letting agent, which has made our lives easier. Do your research before settling on one, we have heard of some awful horror stories.

The best advice I can give you is to keep doing the research, get organising your life now, as it takes a long time to sort things out properly. Only store stuff that really matters, why spend money storing crappy old furniture if it means nothing to you.

Above all - DO IT!

Happy to chat more if you would like to send me a message.

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Thank you for that I feel overwhelmed at the moment. As you can imagine we have lots of things going round in our head like insurance we will come back to England in the summer so we may not be classed as fulltimers. Breakdown what is the best company, We have found a storage company and sorted that out with ins etc. We have a 12 year old dog who is on medication for his thyroid and liver he has been on the medication for years will we be able to get that over there. My daughter will provide us with a base in UK so that will help I will follow your advice about the scanning that.is a good idea. The furniture advice makes sense I have started clearing out the garage I will have to be more ruthless I have stuff in there that I am struggling with as you say chuck it why hang on to crap. There is a lot to think about as you say I need to be more organised and have a structured plan thank you again

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Although not a big thing in the grand scheme, I echo what Sandra says. Only store essentials, we paid for a locker for virtually ALL of our possessions for over a year, it cost a small fortune & when we decided to carry on fulltiming indefinitely sold 80% of it anyway! We started in 2009.

So far we do not have a single regret, love this lifestyle.

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Thanks for that as I said to Sandra I am going to be ruthless with furniture as well !!! I have to persuade the wife about that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back