AERIAL INLET BOX - SITU UNDERNEATH - IDEAS? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi all
I'm looking at fitting an external TV aerial inlet box.
Although I've got satellite, recently when on 3 x sites, I've not been able to pick up a signal due to trees and the site has been full, so not able to move pitches.
I have fed the ariel cable from the site bollard through the window.

I'm wanting to make this a bit neater, rather than having temporary wires dangling, hence looking at an inlet underneath the van.

I've seen Maxview and VisionPlus and the like offering a side wall fit inlet box, but I would prefer to have something underneath the van and out of sight.

Marcel Leisure do a control box but it looks like a big section needs cutting out - I'm wanting just to make a few holes and to keep it weatherproof.

Has anyone any ideas?

I've thought about screwing and sticking a weatherproof box to the underside and some kind of lid which can be secured when not in use and just having the coax connector inside to plug into the aerial lead from the bollard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In our previous van conversion there was an aerial lead in the electrical lead inlet box, it just had a standard end on it to attach a length of aerial cable to, seemed like a good idea to me, out of the weather and you wouldn't forget to remove it when leaving the side as you'd be removing your electric lead anyway.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm going to drop one through the floor and cable tie it somewhere easily accessible., it will not be used very often but cetainly on the winter site in Spain that we use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Why don't you use a flat cable jointer that goes in the door or window we have two in the garage connected ready to put through the door joint when on site the door rubbers seal them and if at the bottom no water ingress, no drilling required.
metronic-window-frame-f-plug-to-f-plug-cable-30cm-white.jpg

Metronic Window Frame F Plug to F Plug Cable 30cm White
Code: A14FT

(2)
  • Designed to allow a TV aerial or satellite cable to pass through a window frame without having to drill a hole in through the wall
  • Flat and flexible
  • Supplied with 2 F type plugs

Last edited:
OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Why don't you use a flat cable jointer that goes in the door or window we have two in the garage connected ready to put through the door joint when on site the door rubbers seal them and if at the bottom no water ingress, no drilling required.
metronic-window-frame-f-plug-to-f-plug-cable-30cm-white.jpg

Metronic Window Frame F Plug to F Plug Cable 30cm White
Code: A14FT

(2)
  • Designed to allow a TV aerial or satellite cable to pass through a window frame without having to drill a hole in through the wall
  • Flat and flexible
  • Supplied with 2 F type plugs
I've got one of these and use it through the window as mentioned, but don't want dangling cables as we have a toddler who pulls & swings on loose cables.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello Gavlad, re.fitting an aerial connection underneath your van, I did that years ago on a caravan and it was a pain in the butt scrabbling around in the wet and mud trying to fit the cable in and take it out :confused: can you not fit it in a locker somewhere handy for the tv if you want it out of the way.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello Gavlad, re.fitting an aerial connection underneath your van, I did that years ago on a caravan and it was a pain in the butt scrabbling around in the wet and mud trying to fit the cable in and take it out :confused: can you not fit it in a locker somewhere handy for the tv if you want it out of the way.
Your got a point with that
Looking underneath, I'd have to get down on all fours to plug in, so I'm going to have to have a rethink.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Had you thought of inside an external locker or perhaps the toilet locker.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
How about one of these

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/bullfinch-external-satellite-point.html

Bullfinch External Satellite Point, Three outlets in one, this caravan and motorhome external socket enables you to supply Satellite and TV reception into your van and also offers a 12v cigar socket for taking power out of your van ideal for

• 12volt (Cigar lighter fitting) / Satellite / TV connections
  • Ideal for touring caravans , motorhomes, etc.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@GAVLAD
I'm fairly sure @Stewart J did this on his Mohawk(?) and gave detailed instructions on how in a previous post.
"External" socket was in the battery compartment with cabling following power leads into hab area.
Post may have been on a.n.other forum though?
Might be worth a pm to him?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Had a few spare hours today, so drilled a hole through back of mains inlet socket and threaded coax cable through.
Placed three rubber ring seals coved with insulating tape to form a bung/stop to ensure can't be pulled through too far either way.
Able to pull cable through about six inch to facilitate connection.

image.jpg

Could do with a good clean around the inside of the socket!

image.jpeg

On the inside, I've connected this to a two way Y splitter with one cable going to the front TV and the other to the rear and threaded behind the partitions in the false floor (back ache now!)

The TV end connections have been threaded through to the TV but not connected.

When I'm next on site and can't get a sat signal, I'll just plug into the bollard and swap over the coax connections at the back of the TV's.

I did try the ribbons through the window method, but with an inquisitive kid with sticky fingers, having cables dangling hasn't worked for us.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
No problem glad you liked the idea, it works well. I think I would have used a bulk head fitting screwed and fitted into the lid with a loop of cable going into socket housing. They are waterproof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back