Ring Automotive Product Performance Claims (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Today my cheap and cheerful Tesco 12v tyre pump decided to fail. The on/off switch gave up the ghost. As I needed to check the MH tyres I bought a Ring RAC 620 clearly advertised by Ring as being able to inflate tyres to 100 psi so okay for my maximum of 80 psi. Not a bit of it; it ground to a halt at 78 psi; useless. I rang Ring tech support. Oh yes they said, we know. It will only inflate cycle tyres to above 80 psi. MH tyres are too big. What you need is the much more expensive RAC 700 or 900. So, if you are thinking of buying a Ring Automotive product take their performance claims with a big pinch of salt and IMHO they are best avoided entirely.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got the RAC 900 model, it's a great piece of kit and well worth the money

Edit:
You've got the same van as me and the max I put in my rear tyres as advised by Continental is only 76 psi
78psi is close to the tyres maximum permitted pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Today my cheap and cheerful Tesco 12v tyre pump decided to fail. The on/off switch gave up the ghost. As I needed to check the MH tyres I bought a Ring RAC 620 clearly advertised by Ring as being able to inflate tyres to 100 psi so okay for my maximum of 80 psi. Not a bit of it; it ground to a halt at 78 psi; useless. I rang Ring tech support. Oh yes they said, we know. It will only inflate cycle tyres to above 80 psi. MH tyres are too big. What you need is the much more expensive RAC 700 or 900. So, if you are thinking of buying a Ring Automotive product take their performance claims with a big pinch of salt and IMHO they are best avoided entirely.
Would have thought 78 was enough , just make them all the same(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We've got the RAC 900 model, it's a great piece of kit and well worth the money

Edit:
You've got the same van as me and the max I put in my rear tyres as advised by Continental is only 76 psi
78psi is close to the tyres maximum permitted pressure
I had the van weighed and gave the info to Michelin as our van is fitted with Michelin Agilis Campers. They advised 80 psi rear and 65.25 psi front :).

Edit: I would prefer a lower rear pressure for the improved ride.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also have the Ring RAC 900 .. best 12v portable electric pump I've owned.. and I've had a few..

they are also used by the AA and RAC breakdown guys..

the max pressure the pump can deliver isn't dictated by tyre size but by the pumps capabilities.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Also have the Ring RAC 900 .. best 12v portable electric pump I've owned.. and I've had a few..

they are also used by the AA and RAC breakdown guys..

the max pressure the pump can deliver isn't dictated by tyre size but by the pumps capabilities.
I agree with you and said the same to the tech at Ring but suspect that he was just spouting the company agreed excuse but he did admit they know that the publish spec is not matched by the performance.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had the van weighed and gave the info to Michelin as our van is fitted with Michelin Agilis Campers. They advised 80 psi rear and 65.25 psi front :).

Edit: I would prefer a lower rear pressure for the improved ride.
We noticed a massive improvement in ride once we got the correct tyre pressures, and after we had the wheel alignment checked and adjusted. Even though the van was new, the alignment was out.
Almost forgot !
The wheel balancing was also incorrect

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I posted this September 2013.

Be wary of RING. For many years then had a great reputation with vehicle bulbs, but five years ago I purchased a 3500 inverter for our boat. It went kaput within twelve months. Irreparable. I had to read the riot act to get it replaced, and then only by travelling to Leeds for the new one. Total shambles. Make sure you read some good reviews from users before buying. :(

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@Robert Clark Did you use a Fiat Professional garage for the tracking and wheel balance checks?
No, they don't do tyres and wheels at our local Fiat Professional garage
I went to ATS Euromaster who have a commercial vehicle depot locally.
They've suggested having the alignment checked every 6-12 months, so I'm going back again soon

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
None of our local tyre depots, including ATS, can handle our van but I'm going to our FP outfit later this month for the instrument lighting upgrade so will ask them to check it out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless the RAC-620 is advertised or is clearly stating the inflation pressures refer to bicycle inflation I would complain to trading standards claiming misleading product information.
But....if it can inflate a bike tyre it can inflate a van tyre....it will simply take a lifetime but 100psi is 100psi no matter how big the vessel.
Same as charging a 110ah battery with 4amp charger.....it will get there eventually.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
shame you havnt been happy with ring automotive . i have been buying from them for over 30yrs . when i had my garage and even now . i had a 2kw inverter for 12 yrs then it packed up. i then had 2 1100wt inverters . still use one and last year bought a 1100pure sine wave one as the new fridge is fussy.
i bought all sorts of things from them . even had a ring mobile car lift ,well still have ,a friend is using it at moment .
always found them very helpfull and friendly .

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Unless the RAC-620 is advertised or is clearly stating the inflation pressures refer to bicycle inflation I would complain to trading standards claiming misleading product information.
But....if it can inflate a bike tyre it can inflate a van tyre....it will simply take a lifetime but 100psi is 100psi no matter how big the vessel.
Same as charging a 110ah battery with 4amp charger.....it will get there eventually.
@pappajohn I agree with all you say but TS is so overworked here it would be a waste of time. Sad really.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What a load of old soap !
Ring them back and ask tech nob head how the compressor can tell what it is pumping up !!!
Money back, not fit for purpose, report to trading standards..
It really boils my pee this kinda thing.. I am seriously looking at starting something up to discredit all the bull plop in adverts at the moment..

had a chat with someone like minded ( bloody minded ? ) who is rather well heeled..
He is up for employing someone to make adverts bringing the truth to people ..

Such as all the stupid adverts that say 'can reduce XXXX by UP TO some percentage or other.
Misleading tripe... Can do yes, but likely to ? NO ..
Loads of other stuff too, but will mention Ring and their claims at the next meeting in a few weeks time

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
What a load of old soap !
Ring them back and ask tech nob head how the compressor can tell what it is pumping up !!!
Money back, not fit for purpose, report to trading standards..
It really boils my pee this kinda thing.. I am seriously looking at starting something up to discredit all the bull plop in adverts at the moment..

had a chat with someone like minded ( bloody minded ? ) who is rather well heeled..
He is up for employing someone to make adverts bringing the truth to people ..

Such as all the stupid adverts that say 'can reduce XXXX by UP TO some percentage or other.
Misleading tripe... Can do yes, but likely to ? NO ..
Loads of other stuff too, but will mention Ring and their claims at the next meeting in a few weeks time
A bit like the claims for 12 volt fridges. "Only uses four amps per hour......" Yes, if positioned at The South Pole in winter with the door left open............

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Is it me or where i was bought up . Pressure on a ring device sounds a bit suss , il get me coat .

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Dorset Diver, Try plugging it into your dash 12v socket and running your engine while pumping up the tyre.
@daveandsan . When I used the unit the MH was on EHU and had been for about a week, and the SP was going full tilt as the sun was high in a cloudless sky. I take your point but there was no shortage of power ;) .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where did you find Ring say the compressor is suitable for up to 100 psi? This is from Ring's own website on the 620: (The first built point is pretty clear to me).

• 12v Air Compressor with 3 piece adapter kit, suitable for inflating sport balls and small inflatables.
  • Red light for SOS and white light for night time illumination, in case you have to inflate your tyre on the roadside in the dark.
  • Complete with handy storage case, allowing you to safely store the compressor in your boot when not in use.
  • Fitted with fused 12v power plug and approx. 3m cable that stretches the full length of a standard car, allowing front and rear tyres to be easily checked.
  • Inflates a tyre to 35psi in under 4 minutes to quickly inflate your tyre, saving you time.
  • Pressure gauge in PSI, kg/cm2 bar for reliable performance and accuracy.
Please Note: The product video below shows how to use a Ring Air Compressor to inflate a car tyre. The Air Compressor used in the video is a RAC635.

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Cars/Tyre+Care/Air+Compressors/RAC620

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@DBK . It's on the box which I checked before I bought. I knew I needed 80 psi and thought that 100 psi, being 25% greater than my requirement, would be suitable. I was wrong. When I rang them they certainly did not dispute this and admitted that the techs had been telling marketing that in their own tests it would only do 80 psi but that they had been ignored.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK . It's on the box which I checked before I bought. I knew I needed 80 psi and thought that 100 psi, being 25% greater than my requirement, would be suitable. I was wrong. When I rang them they certainly did not dispute this and admitted that the techs had been telling marketing that in their own tests it would only do 80 psi but that they had been ignored.
Thanks, that clear. I would ask for your money back from whoever sold it to you, quoting it doesn't do what it says on the box. :) A print out from Ring's website (as above) and a quote from their tech line should clinch it.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I returned it to Screwfix this .a.m and got a full refund no questioned asked. I got the impression that it had happened before. Based on past performance Screwfix will send me a request to do a review. It won't be favourable :madder: as far as Ring Automotive are concerned.

Edit: Tongue in cheek I also took my old Tesco "cheap & cheerful" unit back. They still do the same thing and today had one in stock. I have no idea how long I've had it and had no receipt but they replaced it without question and I didn't even have to explain the niceties of my rights under the Sale of Goods Act. Well done Tesco :winky:.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back