Could have been a begging letter..... (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
So we took some Euros and a brand new shiny Revolut card loaded with Euros. Well at least a handful. As our ready cashed dwindled we took out the Revolut and you can guess what happened. Non, said the diesel seller. Non, said the super market cashier. Non, said the bank. Non said any campsites and so said anyone else who could possibly help. So an enforced stay at Millau at Camping Larribal was necessary whilst Revolut sent a new card. This being an emergency card it took 4 days to arrive. Customer service at weekends is via an app that "due to the large volume of calls..." they don't reply to. So it was a bit frugal for a few days and spouse refused my suggestion of how she could earn us a few bob. Just kept calling me Pimp whatever that means. Still with ACSI at 11 Euros a night. Separate gender good facilities, right on the river, 15 min walk from town and all the heat and sun you could ask for, it could have been worse. Had thought about sending an email... "Help. Stuck in France. Send money." Anyway, got down to the south and we can now say we paddled in the Med. Working our way back to Calais now.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have never used any prepay cards or travelers checks or similar as having cash in sterling or euros has worked all over the world at rates almost always better than pre buying.
Yes the cash could be stolen but that also applies to cards, passport, van keys and anything else that the loss of would be a pain in the bum to put right.
The point being that everywhere you go 'cash is king'.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"Working our way back to Calais now."????

Does that mean the wife's back at work, Pimp?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Customer service at weekends is via an app that "due to the large volume of calls..." they don't reply to.

Err , they don't reply to it at ANY time of the day or night, any day of the week! Trust me I've tried.:mad:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had a safe fitted under the fixed bed and kept €300 in it. Reckoned if my cards were lost/stolen whatever I could survive while I sorted it out.

( I had forgotten that I had hidden €150 in a kindle case and found it several months later. Was a nice surprise!)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i just taken out a revolut card but still have my caxtob fx which i was going to ditch, maybe a change of plan is on the " cards "! :rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Any way of checking if your card is "DUFF"! before you go??? as i see on Martins money pages a few people have had the same problem:(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My Revolut has worked every time and instantly pinged me the transaction details of every purchase this last two weeks.
The only problem was at the Doctors in Holland it would not accept ANY card we had but I put it down to being bank holiday in UK? could be wrong but I know it wasn't limited to Revolut.
I've also drawn 200 300 and 500 cash among about 20 payments
image.png

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never had any problem with mine either and on the one occasion I had cause to use the support app they replied and dealt with my query quickly and efficiently.

It's well documented that pre paid cards don't work in certain situations - tolls, fuels pumps etc. I just use mine for ATM withdrawals and carry proper a credit card for purchases.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Never had any problem with mine either and on the one occasion I had cause to use the support app they replied and dealt with my query quickly and efficiently.

It's well documented that pre paid cards don't work in certain situations - tolls, fuels pumps etc. I just use mine for ATM withdrawals and carry proper a credit card for purchases.
I've bought fuel three times Nick but not at automated pumps! check out teller is fine

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
We have used ours for 7 weeks so far in France and Spain only 2 times was in not accepted once at an automated fuel station and once at a carrefour (OK at other Carrefour's). Have used it for attended fuel stations OK and has so far worked at all tolls. Very pleased with it and how quickly it informs you of a transaction. We did try ours at home before we left loaded a small amount on it then used an ATM for balance enquiry and cash withdrawal also used it in a shop. I seem to remember they said on the revolution site somewhere to test it out before you go abroad. We would recommend it anyway.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I thought it was well established that prepaid cards don't work at automated fuel pumps or at many supermarkets.
Prepaid (Caxton) for my ATM cash and Halifax cc for purchases - can't go wrong.
If anyone ever doubts the value and convenience of prepaid, I'm drawing Euros now at €1.41, buy them when they're up, not when you need them.
So, diesel at €1.12 @€1.41 = £0.794
Does wonders for your MP£

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Whenever I go abroad I always marvel at how everyone speaks the international language of Hardcash. I keep mine in a safe in a fully alarmed and security locked motorhome and have no worries about losing it or finding it doesn't work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back