Do you have a drink when wild camping? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I've read the threads about being in charge of the vehicle with keys in a public iplace (roadside) etc but how any of you do have more than a pint or single vino when wild camping?
Husband wouldn't let me have a second drink tonight (on our free parking spot in Bruges)s and I'm sulking....
Looking for support here. Does it vary per country?

Deleted User
If I close the blinds on the cab then I am happy to have a drink. If someone tells me to move on I will refuse and they can charge me with obstruction but they will be hard pushed to charge me with being drunk in charge. Basically life is to short to worry about what someone heard about someone else getting charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you intend driving the next morning you should be careful what you drink the night before.
I'm sure you didn't need to know that but it's your choice.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have never had a problem curtains closed key in coat pocket in wardrobe parked sensibly not causing a obstruction
Don't see a prolem
I sat in a lay by one night with a copper discussing this very subject me with beer in hand and him with cup of tea
His words were make sure your sober in the morning before setting up to drive.
Even the most pedantic officer would have problems securing a conviction under under surcum stances of a motor home secured for the night and set up for sleeping.
Also my brother a total %%% would not even bother a camper or MH all closed up for the night
Bill

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If wild camping, I choose not to drink - nothing to do with the law but because I like to have the option to move on if necessary... will certainly drink on aires though (y)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I would and do have a drink or 3 but not until I'm certain we wont be moved on.About 10 o'clock then don't drive in the morning untill after noon.(Sue will)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Legal position explained here.. download

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/drinking-and-sleeping-in-your-motorhome-at-a-pub.177/

and the law here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/4

As you never know when you may have to move on.. or be asked to move.. my advice is don't drink while parked in a public place.. be it a pub car park, lay-by, MSA, car park etc..

we are both teetotal so the question has never arisen... just my view.

Last edited:

Deleted User
This is a question that is going to be asked on a regular basis as the law is not that clear.
Has any organisation/forum such as RAC, AA, Motorhome Fun or others approached the powers that be and asked for clarification on how the law would be applied to anyone parked up in a vehicle.
And don't forget that in Scotland the drink drive limits are lower than in England.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I was parked on Madeira drive in Brighton a couple of years ago and they breathtalised the car driver who parked behind us but they did'nt come to us. I have a drink most evenings whether free camping or not but Julia drives and she dos'nt drink
Alan

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
If we all lived our lives completely inside the "letter of the law" then life would be pretty damn boring.................wouldn't it???

The Tincas

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This thread has reminded me of my breakfasts in Cyprus last week. Very nice hotel where champagne was on tap each morning at breakfast. Drunk with a splash of fresh orange (bucks Fiz) and sipped with my egg and bacon was lovely, it cleared the pallet and set you up for the day.:cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This thread has reminded me of my breakfasts in Cyprus last week. Very nice hotel where champagne was on tap each morning at breakfast. Drunk with a splash of fresh orange (bucks Fiz) and sipped with my egg and bacon was lovely, it cleared the pallet and set you up for the day.:cool:

Slippy slope methinks.. :eek:

Call our National Helpline
FREE on
0800 9177 650

;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Slippy slope methinks.. :eek:

Call our National Helpline
FREE on
0800 9177 650

;)
I'm one of the lucky ones Jim I can really take it or leave it(y). Drunk copious amounts on holiday but not even given alcohol a single thought since I have been home. Drinking patterns tend to be in the genes. I don't think I could become addicted to anything even if I tried.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm one of the lucky ones Jim I can really take it or leave it(y). Drunk copious amounts on holiday but not even given alcohol a single thought since I have been home. Drinking patterns tend to be in the genes. I don't think I could become addicted to anything even if I tried.:)

I'm sure you are .. it was just a joke.. (y)

on a serious note.. needing a drink in the morning, or at any time, is a sign that it's out of control.. been there and nearly never came back..

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
husband can't drive any more so it's down to me

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A section from scotjimlands link on the law.

For the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

I read into this that you can be parked up and drink without being arrested for being 'drunk in charge' of a vehicle providing you can satisfy the no likelihood of driving aspect. (I do wonder what would satisfy all cops on this last point).

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We have very funny laws on drink driving.
They will not even ask if you are are parked up.

I dont think we have an offence of drunk in charge.

Mel

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Put the keys in his pocket and pour your self a wine! Seriously if the curtains are closed and the beds made up, you're not intending to go anywhere .
Back in 1985/6 ish my mate thought that . In bed dead to world, woken up at 4am, breathalysed & arrested for drunk in charge & banned in court.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have very funny laws on drink driving.
They will not even ask if you are are parked up.

I dont think we have an offence of drunk in charge.

Mel

Well done Sir, you answered the OP's question, drink/drive abroad, not UK.

Reactions: Mel

Deleted User
A section from scotjimlands link on the law.

For the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

I read into this that you can be parked up and drink without being arrested for being 'drunk in charge' of a vehicle providing you can satisfy the no likelihood of driving aspect. (I do wonder what would satisfy all cops on this last point).
I have highlighted the sentence that concerns me.
If you are sitting in your vehicle wearing pyjamas with the screens on the windows and ignition keys in a cupboard then you can prove to any policeman that there is no likelihood of you driving your vehicle at that particular time. But, how do you prove to the policeman that there is no likelihood of driving, for example, in 30 minutes or 1 hours time when you could still be unfit to drive.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you are sitting in your vehicle wearing pyjamas with the screens on the windows and ignition keys in a cupboard then you can prove to any policeman that there is no likelihood of you driving your vehicle at that particular time. But, how do you prove to the policeman that there is no likelihood of driving, for example, in 30 minutes or 1 hours time when you could still be unfit to drive.
You are quite right as many people go to the supermarket in their pj's-:D

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I only drink within legal limits when wild camping. I've had to move several times quickly at night in the past and I need a clear head to do it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Would they have to ! The law states 'at that particular time' not how an officer of the law determines your ability in 30 minutes or an hours time. Common sense prevails, I believe. If he/she has no cause to nick you because your not in charge of your vehicle, even if drunk and there are no changes of circumstances with respect to being in charge of your vehicle how can time alone make a difference.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Back in 1985/6 ish my mate thought that . In bed dead to world, woken up at 4am, breathalysed & arrested for drunk in charge & banned in court.

No, sorry, there is more to this story than what we have here. Even if he did get arrested, it would have been thrown out of court.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back