Extra leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I am about to fit an extra leisure battery to my Pilote motorhome and would like to know what the piece of plastic tubing does that is attached to the existing one. It is obviously some sort of drain/overflow but where would it be vented to? Would i need to fix the same sort of tubing to the new battery.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a vent to go outside the vehicle. Get rid of hazardous gasses.

If new battery does not have one it must be a sealed one.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If the new battery does have a vent hole in the side you'll need to Tee in to the existing one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I am not sure if they really help, the gas given off is Hydrogen, the lightest of gases and the pipes go down not up. One suspects if the pipes fit properly they will become full of the very gas you are trying to get rid of.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I am not sure if they really help, the gas given off is Hydrogen, the lightest of gases and the pipes go down not up. One suspects if the pipes fit properly they will become full of the very gas you are trying to get rid of.
I suppose as they become full it will trickle out of the end but still leave the pipe full

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not to get rid of the gas as such.. merely somewhere for excess gas to vent to out side the hab area
And as the battery cools any gas in the pipe will be sucked back in to the chamber :)
Fully sealed batteries have an expansion chamber build in.. A bit like a collapsed balloon
Gas goes in to it and is then drawn back in to the main body

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It is not to get rid of the gas as such.. merely somewhere for excess gas to vent to out side the hab area
And as the battery cools any gas in the pipe will be sucked back in to the chamber :)
Fully sealed batteries have an expansion chamber build in.. A bit like a collapsed balloon
Gas goes in to it and is then drawn back in to the main body

Perhaps, but as hydrogen is a very small molecule the seal has to be very effective to keep it in at all, does a bit of lose fit polythene fit the bill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Perhaps, but as hydrogen is a very small molecule the seal has to be very effective to keep it in at all, does a bit of lose fit polythene fit the bill

If it is a loose fit it is not correctly fitted..
A correctly fitted vent pipe does the job just fine HD is not exactly a porous substance !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it is a loose fit it is not correctly fitted..
A correctly fitted vent pipe does the job just fine HD is not exactly a porous substance !
Carried along with the vented gases, if the battery is undergoing a high charge rate, is very acidic water vapour . That stuff is most definitely better out of the van than in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Carried along with the vented gases, if the battery is undergoing a high charge rate, is very acidic water vapour . That stuff is most definitely better out of the van than in.
You aint wrong there Tony !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back