LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody It's probably a long shot but I was wondering if any of you chaps have added extra wires or extra sockets etc to a Autotrail 840D or a similar vehicle and had to access the wiring behind the panels.
Are these vehicles put together with glue and screws clips or what?
I'm looking at running the satellite twin coax across the top of my van and down to a separate socket and the other one back to the bedroom.

I’ve had a good look round the van but there does not seem an obvious way to access the wires and I can't see an easy way to get at or dismantle the area where the wire come down. If the panels are glued together then I might just leave well alone rather than doing possible damage to the van.

Many Thanks Tony

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Tony,
That's a lovely van!

I haven't got the same van, but a lot of similar vans are a nightmare to fish cables through. Many of the panels are bonded together. In addition, some vans have cables running in rebates - serving things like reading lamps, so you gotta be careful not to snag them if drilling.

You can run some cables through the cabinets, but the problem arises when you want to (say) go over a door or a bare area. Adhesive mini-trunking is one answer, but not ideal.
Someone may be along with better ideas?

Regards
James

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi Everybody It's probably a long shot but I was wondering if any of you chaps have added extra wires or extra sockets etc to a Autotrail 840D or a similar vehicle and had to access the wiring behind the panels.
Are these vehicles put together with glue and screws clips or what?
I'm looking at running the satellite twin coax across the top of my van and down to a separate socket and the other one back to the bedroom.

I’ve had a good look round the van but there does not seem an obvious way to access the wires and I can't see an easy way to get at or dismantle the area where the wire come down. If the panels are glued together then I might just leave well alone rather than doing possible damage to the van.

Many Thanks Tony
is it not possible to go down outside then up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
1. Across the roof in trunking to the standard TV aerial access point then follow the existing cables to the points you already have in the lounge and bedroom.
2. Across the roof in trunking to the standard TV aerial access point then down the power cable trunking and out below the floor then under the floor to a position below where you want the points.

Neither are easy and both mean more holes for water ingress.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
From experiance with my Autotrail 840SE 2006 vintage
The external corner finishing trims are the last bit in the jigsaw, used both inside and outside of the cupboards and wiring boxes, and are glued in place, They can be prised off with a risk of damage to reveal hidden staples holding the rest together, avoid dismantling if at all possible
Access after construction was NOT a consideration in design
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back