Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What is the most fantastic coincidence you can recall?
Most recent for me was this morning while at city camp motorhome parking Amsterdam
I was sat in the cab people watching when I saw an old autocruise UK reg go past and stop to wait for the service point
So I'm sat looking across at the rear of their van and thinking that looks familiar and after a while I was convinced it was the van that is parked next to ours at the storage in wyke Bradford
So I open the IP camera app to see if this van is at storage and it wasn't ! So off I trot to say hello as I haven't met the new owners since Arthur died last year
So what a surprise and unbelievable introduction :Eeek:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I walked into the seamans mission in Montreal in 1965 and there playing pool was an old school friend, he had been shipwrecked in the St.Lawrence and had to wait for another ship to take him back,he had been there for almost 3 weeks the shipping co.wouldnt fly him back :confused:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I met a lad in Thame a few years ago, who was born in same hospital, the day before me:)

We became good pals since :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maureen and I were born in the same hospital ( within a short time period ), Upney Lane in Barking
We then eventually moved on to the same housing estate ( Thames View )
Yet it was not until we both moved to Thetford we met !

Number one daughter and her hubby went on holiday to Perth, Australia
Walking along someone shouted "Oye, Donna"

Turned round and it was one of the brothers of my then closest friend.. He had moved out there about 7 years before.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Checking in to a small hotel near Interlake at Lake Thun the owner noticed my unusual surname and remarked "do you know this person?" and showed me the registration card of a lady who had stayed there last week. I should know, I was married to her for 10 years and had not seen, or heard of her for over 10 years. My current wife was highly amused, the hotel owner slightly baffled!

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Years ago before we started vanning I was proud that every holiday I went on I ended up meeting someone I knew
I told Jacs this on our first holiday together and to Tenerife
Went the whole two weeks without meeting a soul, then we were on the plane to come back and the timing was impeccable . Jacs said uh you didn't this time did you :whistle:
Just then Neil Bedford walked on Hi Andy ! :LOL: She was gobsmacked

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I was doing some family history research about 4 years ago on behalf of a client in the south of England who's Gt Grandfather had been Mayor of Carlisle in 1911. One of the Mayor's brothers had disappeared from the census returns in 1881 and it was a family rumour that the brother had 'taken off' to America.
I was in the Library at Carlisle doing research into this and the Librarian came to the next film reader to me with a man with a beard and loaded a microfilm for him and said 'What year was he the Mayor?'
Turns out that the man with the beard was an American and he was the Gt Grandson of the 'missing' brother and he too was tracing his family history.
I checked with my client and with his agreement I was able to put them in touch with each other.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I was night watchman on a ship (watches are suspended when the ship is in port) in Hobart Tasmania, we had been warned the Australian Federal Police were going to deliver a DBS (Distressed British Seaman) to be deported.
So here wuz oi on the gangway, when the Federalees turned up.
This fella walked up the Gangway, stepped on board,

"Janner! yooou bastard! is that you?" sez 'ee

WTF!

This fella, an ex Royal Marine from 42, I'd first met in Cyprus, to cut a long story short, I was supposed to deliver Frank to the Skipper as soon as he came aboard, we went to the crew bar instead.
It was very late at night, that a decidedly rocky Frank was delivered to the Skippers Cabin to be introduced, by an even rockyer me"ziss iss the bloody D B SSSSSKIPPER!"

Me and him went on to other adventures.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At a site in Italy a few days ago, we got talking to a British couple. Never seen them before but they live just a few miles from us. Not a huge coincidence but curious that the first Brits we meet are local to us.

And while driving through the Dordogne on our way here we saw two Murvis I thought I recognised, travelling together. Didn't have the opportunity to speak to them as they shot off over a bridge in the opposite direction to where we were heading. A subsequent email confirmed it was indeed the Treasurer and Chairlady of the Murvi Owners' Club who I had seen at the rally I organised in Cornwall a week before I left the UK.

'tis a small world. :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Few years ago, Judy and Paul went to New Zealand South/North Islands and a few other country`s..

Coming out of one of the attractions at Christchurch, a bloke walked up to them and said...... Hope you don`t mind.... but are`nt you Paul K-P from Weymouth..

I`m Tony and used to work in H.Samuels the jewellers... and remember you buying all your fancy stuff..

He moved over a few years before...

Small world..:nod:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
As a student I regularly caught the Tube from Balham South to Victoria, so I always traveled in the rear coach, to make changes easy. One Saturday I needed some parts for my motorbike so I traveled in the front coach. Sitting opposite me was a lovely blonde "girl", who seemed to be flashing her wedding/engagement rings at me. I told my wife, who was with me, that I thought I knew her, looking very like an ex-girlfriend.

Plucking up courage, I said "It's Christine, isn't it". And so it was. We had a chat then parted, as she was a nurse on her way to work.

Every Tuesday we prepared a meal for a post-grad medical student, who had been a good friend of my Best Man, Steve. When he came that week he told us that on Monday he'd gone to dinner at his supervisors house, where his wife asked if Steve had ever mentioned Gordon, as she had met him on the Tube on Saturday!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Whilst serving at the Royal Naval Air Station Portland, I was on a security patrol going towards the offsite radar stations when I spotted, parked up on Weymouth sea front, a Black London Cab with a familier number plate. It used to belong to my Dad some years earlier so I stopped the van and spoke to the guy who after checking out my name tally pointed to the insurance certificate - that must be displayed beside the driver and said, I still have his certificate.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Went to an island off the coast of Croatia the resaurant somelier was english and looking at setting a business up importing wine. 2 years later went to Majestic in Leicester served by the same bloke who was covering for a day due to staff ilness! and lived in Nottingham

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Not in the same league as the above,but,last night we were at a Pizza night at friends,another couple arrived and asked about the car,it turned out that her grandson was born 16th of Jan and had been named Logan. On the number plate is 16-1 year and month and it is a Logan Dacia MCV, (Budget Renault to those who don't know LOL))
Tea Bag

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Was traveling to South Africa to work on a gold mine project and I get a tap on the shoulder Bill yes milky the last time I seen him he was leaving on a stretcher after being shot in Lurgan County Armagh
He lost half a lung made a fairly good recovery
We got pised that day and nearly missed our flights
We are now in regular contact
Bill

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Coming back off a two week holiday and stopped at a set of traffic lights on the A406 ring road, I notice my sister in law and family in a car next to us, they had been to London for the day.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What is the most fantastic coincidence you can recall?

Waking up in bed with Jan :cool:.. probably :LOL:

In a supermarket one day I bumped into my old maintenance manager, John Brown from India Tyres Inchinnan, where I served my apprenticeship..

not remarkable you may think.. until I told you this was in Jo'Burg .. several years after emigrating.. he was retired and visiting his daughter who also lived in Jo'burg.. could have knocked me down with a feather..

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
On guard at Bir Fuqum Ranges in the desert outside Aden.
We were handing over the ranges to the Royal Marines at lunchtime.
Land Rover comes up with my RM relief, guy jumps out and says "John!! what are you doing in a Geordie Regiment?"
It was Dave Brierly, a kid I went to school with.
Jumped in the Rover, went back to my Regt.
Never seen or heard of him since.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The folks who live across the meadow from us went to Greece for 3 week holiday, while We were there for a 3 Month tour in the van.
While we were visiting Epidavros Amphitheatre I gave them a call and said "where are you"
and they said "We were at Epidavros this afternoon" !!
Tiny little world aint it ......
Mitch.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Did a trip to the French bike GP in 85 , and spent 2 weeks after on the coast , after leaving the circuit, got to the sea, turned left, and went on the first campsite we saw... finished setting up the tent, and my next door neighbours walked past. I said hi... they were almost overcome 'my god this is unbelieveable' ... I was like 'well yeah but steady on ' .. the son who was with them , ran off , came back 2 minutes later with their next door neighbor.. 3 houses in a row all end up on the same site in France , none of us knew the others were going.

At WSB in Laguna Seca , spent a night on Cannery Row in Monterrey with the rest of my team , decided we were going to play pool, winner stays on , I am first of our lot , and the guy I have to play lives 2 streets away at home, and he was the last person I played at pool , 2 weeks before I left for the USA.

And finally.. on the same USA trip , the guy we are staying with , has a BBQ , and a few friends come over , one of which has a boss who is mad into F1 , and says I have to meet him . So I go to the house , the following day , the guy is a PI , and he looked like Magnum, he has a house full of F1 memorabilia, and he shows me loads of stuff, I give him a Jaguar F1 hat I have on me , and he goes to fetch a box from the kitchen, in it is a helmet he claims is a genuine Ex Eddie Irvine item from a place in the UK and he gets it out for me to look at . The Jaguar Helmets had a nice pearlescent white top, and this one had a very faint lines , drawn across the top, which I had put on it when I measured it to get some CAD data for the wind tunnel guys to use 3 months earlier.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I phoned a factory up to see if they sold wood shavings for my rabbit hutch. The phone rang for ages and it turned out the factory had closed down .. the phone was in an empty factory ringing out. A man answered who was clearing the factory to knock it down. We got chatting and I laughed at one of his quips... there was a deathly silence. He asked 'Is your name Joy?' He recognised my laugh from 40 years before when I was 15 .. he was my first boyfriend and prob love of my life... my mum put a stop to it:(... never seen him in all those years.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I phoned a factory up to see if they sold wood shavings for my rabbit hutch. The phone rang for ages and it turned out the factory had closed down .. the phone was in an empty factory ringing out. A man answered who was clearing the factory to knock it down. We got chatting and I laughed at one of his quips... there was a deathly silence. He asked 'Is your name Joy?' He recognised my laugh from 40 years before when I was 15 .. he was my first boyfriend and prob love of my life... my mum put a stop to it:(... never seen him in all those years.

Hi movan.
You women and your laughing. Wa;lking down into the village one night and heard laughter,turned to look...... FATAL it was a girl,15,with gorgeous red hair and a smile to die for.
She was later to be, "First wife!!" Do you think i could take her back ? It was 59 years ago.......
Tea Bag the Brave...(She is away till tuesday house/dog sitting for chums)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Back in the late 80's work took me to Santa Barbara, California. There I went out for drinks with the people I was working with. On the way to the bar I was stopped by the local police for a couple of minor traffic law infringements. A bystander came over and spoke up for me, so I invited to join me for a beer. A number of beers later it was not adviseable to drive back to my motel and same guy said he was going that way and would walk with me. On the way back, whilst passing a used car lot, another guy stepped out with a gun telling me to give him my wallet. Now I wasn't about to argue when my new found friend dropped the guy with one punch and we went on our way. One large bourbon at the motel and we went out seperate ways.

Some years later I was in Austria and as I drove along I spotted a low flying glider. I pulled over to see if the pilot found a thermal and made a low save. He didn't so I drove over to see if he needed any help, or needed a recovery to the gliding club.

Off popped the canopy and sitting there was my 'buddy' from Santa Barbara.

Turns out that he was an American serviceman, hence the fearless and effective punch and had lately been posted to Germany.

More beers in the gliding club bar later.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife is from Cambridge, I am from Pembroke Dock in West Wales. We met in London.

Her Dad was adopted and until about 5 years ago knew nothing about his parents.

Following the death of his adoptive parents he traced his Mum but sadly she had died.

Her sister though lived in Pembroke ( about a mile from where I was born) and her daughter was friends with my Mum and known to me when I was a child.

Small world

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back