May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Just found this on the interweb at £34.99 inc P&P http://hgvnav.co.uk/products/

Interestingly this has a facility for video paying and one of the languages is Spainish

Surely this can't be a case of "Too true to be good" can it?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Like this statement in their blurb.

The perfect ” GPS + Entertainment ” make your life and work more splendid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thank you - I was only poking around looking not seriously contemplating spending.

My current sat nav is a 2 year old Garmin Nuvi bought for our car - this has happily sent me down farm tracks which abound in this area.

I have seen reviews of Snooper which suggest that the product is or was considerably less than perfect (supported by friends of friends who are most unhappy) which means I have concerns about similar sat navs for biggies. At the mo I am wary about trying to convince SWMBO of the need to buy so I will probably wait a while and study this forum at greater length.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Get CoPilot, satnavs are positively stoneage compared to it and ridiculously expensive.
We will never buy another satnav had CoPilot for 2 years now it's just so good. Does everything a satnav does plus loads more and its actually user friendly.
We've tried em all over the years and most are pretty poor and as for Snooper we sent it back and got a refund it was rubbish.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thank you for that, Graham, most helpful but as I wrote earlier it may be a while before I take the plunge.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Forestboy, not very cheap if I have to buy the device to run it.

I think that I am the last person in the free world to have a phone that is just a phone (and a messaging device and a clock and a calendar and an alarm clock of course) :crying1:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You could always buy a secondhand tablet Hudls are cheap on ebay and run it off that plus load all your music on it as well. Still cheaper than most satnavs and a fraction of the price of the so called up market ones.
Someone I know has just done this it makes a brilliant satnav, music centre and a nice big screen.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Get CoPilot, satnavs are positively stoneage compared to it and ridiculously expensive.
We will never buy another satnav had CoPilot for 2 years now it's just so good. Does everything a satnav does plus loads more and its actually user friendly.
We've tried em all over the years and most are pretty poor and as for Snooper we sent it back and got a refund it was rubbish.
Which version of CoPilot have you got - Truck or Caravan?

I already have the infamous Noztec TruckNav and it seems generally okay, certainly for the price. I tried the Garmin from Aldi but didn't think it was worth the money in comparison. But am always on the lookout for something better.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Would also be interested to hear comments on CoPilot caravan if anyone has used it. Advantage is price & loaded POI's but don't want to spend money on something that is no better than a car satnav.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I'm in the market for a new sat nav. Using an old TomTom at the minute.
Like the idea of downloading an app simply because of cost.
I've just had a look at Copilot and it uses Here mapping.
I can download Here maps for free. Does anyone know if it's the same as Copilot ?

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Which version of CoPilot have you got - Truck or Caravan?

I already have the infamous Noztec TruckNav and it seems generally okay, certainly for the price. I tried the Garmin from Aldi but didn't think it was worth the money in comparison. But am always on the lookout for something better.

Not sure bought it 2 years ago around Xmas time they had a special offer on £25.00 for full European coverage. A friend had it in his van and it was so good compared to a standard gps for the price it was a no brainer. It has option for motorhome settings but not dimensions but the beauty of it is the ability to alter and plan your own routes its so user friendly and free updates.
Started using it on motorbike trips as well now its even better than the Zumo 660 which is a £500 plus bike specific satnav which Ive always sworn by but CoPilot is just so much better.

?

Deleted User
You could always buy a secondhand tablet Hudls are cheap on ebay and run it off that plus load all your music on it as well. Still cheaper than most satnavs and a fraction of the price of the so called up market ones.
Someone I know has just done this it makes a brilliant satnav, music centre and a nice big screen.

Get the Hudl2 as its great for sat nav. I was dicking about with the free trial of this truck sat nav

It was doing all it said it should do just fine and at the time it was on offer at 35 quid so yeah, far better than any sat nav i have played with. Much prefer android over the sluggish windowsCE platform but each to there own.

Deleted User
Does the co-pilot have safety camera alerts

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Have almost reached a decision thanks to you lot, expect to be taking the Copilot route. For me this has 2 wins

1. Saves over £200 compared to Garmin 760
2. Adds a new toy to mafemme's i thing - this type of spend always receives instant authorisation

Just a bit more study to determine which version

Thanks one and all

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Lot Lover - let us know which CoPilot you go with please. Will be interested.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not trying to influence anyone.. but we all have our ways of doing things.. and only say as I found..

I tried a Samsung tablet with Co Pilot and didn't like it, also had a problem finding a strong enough screen mount to hold the tablet steady.. so gave up on it..

I also tried it on a Galaxy S3 phone.. but I found the screen was too small and the phone overheated and shut down..

I bought a cheap Chinese truck sat nav off eBay .. .. the screen was so poor it was difficult to see in daylight and the software was clunky, so sent it back for a full refund.

My preference is a stand-alone Sat Nav, and just this week bought the Garmin Camper model from Aldi at £139.99 .. it communicates with the iPhone, which can then be used hands free.. it can also use your contacts list, . plus a few other features I'm still playing with.. I can say with confidence it's the best sat nav I've owned..

It's also easy to load up with your favourite POIs .. Archies campings, Campercontact, Club sites and CLs, Autogas , etc

provided they have a GPS chip.. most phones and tablets already have navigating capabilities and maps included.. try them out and use what you find best

like all things in life.. there is 'no one size fits all'..

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Have decided on Caravan model (as much as it pains to use that C word). Not allowed to fraternise with pros******s so no need for Truck version.

Now I just need herself to do the techy download thing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have sworn at CoPilot a few times as it seems to have a few glitches that make it totally avoid certain perfectly good roads in favour of tracks!!.

CoPilots answer is "upgrade to the RV" version that you can put size and weight into.

I most likely will as CoPilot is on the whole quite user friendly.

Martin

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I tried a Samsung tablet with Co Pilot and didn't like it, also had a problem finding a strong enough screen mount to hold the tablet steady.. so gave up on it..

I also tried it on a Galaxy S3 phone.. but I found the screen was too small and the phone overheated and shut down..
I did the same with Co-Pilot, Sygic and a couple of others on Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Tab A and Galaxy S5 phone (so no shortage of power) with similar results so decided on purpose designed units.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Strange I just use a cheapy holder like this and it works perfectly

Broken Link Removed

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Not trying to influence anyone.. but we all have our ways of doing things.. and only say as I found..

I bought a cheap Chinese truck sat nav off eBay .. .. the screen was so poor it was difficult to see in daylight and the software was clunky, so sent it back for a full refund.

My preference is a stand-alone Sat Nav, and just this week bought the Garmin Camper model from Aldi at £139.99 .. it communicates with the iPhone, which can then be used hands free.. it can also use your contacts list, . plus a few other features I'm still playing with.. I can say with confidence it's the best sat nav I've owned..

It's also easy to load up with your favourite POIs .. Archies campings, Campercontact, Club sites and CLs, Autogas , etc

provided they have a GPS chip.. most phones and tablets already have navigating capabilities and maps included.. try them out and use what you find best

like all things in life.. there is 'no one size fits all'..
Look at Brodit mounts. Huge range and options. I used them for a 10 inch galaxy in the RV and a 7 inch Nexus in the Flair. They have a screw on mount that I attached with serious double sided and you can change the holder for different devices.

?

Deleted User

I did the same with Co-Pilot, Sygic and a couple of others on Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Tab A and Galaxy S5 phone (so no shortage of power) with similar results so decided on purpose designed units.

Interesting. I use CoPilot as backup and iGO Primo as main on an S3 and 4 with no issues. Were you still using the phone as a phone? If i am using either as a sat nav it will be put on flight mode to reduce the chance of calls or txt interfering with my directions. Even now having a dedicated S3 as sat nav i still use flight mode. I am just wondering if the phone uses less processor power in flight mode as its not looking for phone or data signals.

?

Deleted User
No - and the Tab 2 and Tab A are just WiFi equipped tablets anyway.
Ah i thought you were talking about the S3 like scotjimland.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
It seems that Mme has both an iPhone AND an iPad (note to self:- try to pay attention when I am supposed to be listening). The latter looks as if it would need a serious bit of kit (neighbour has spare scaffold poles) to hold it in place on the plastic football pitch between my seat and the windscreen of the MH whereas the former looks a more likely bet. About the same size screen as my Nuvi and Mme already has a suction type holder in her car.

If phone screen is too small/otherwise impractical we could always change horses couldn't we?

?

Deleted User
Do you still have your rear view mirror? I got a mount for my phone/sat nav that hangs from the mirror. Another option is the rubber non slip mat you get for the dash to. Some have grooves to hold phone/sat nav.

51hWJAqvgcL._SX425_.jpg

I got mine on ebay but from an american seller. Think Amazon have them

Scroll down

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...S0&_nkw=dashboard+rubber+phone+mount&_sacat=0

Another option what i have in my car. If you dont play CD's then use the CD slot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ount.TRS0&_nkw=cd+player+phone+mount&_sacat=0

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My rear view mirrors are on the outside so that won't work too well.

I already have a "bean bag" for the Nuvi but as the dash slopes away from me before flattening out it tends to escape from time to time. Already decided that the best place is between the rear view camera and the corner of the screen (LHD) but that will be too snug for the iPad - though I am sure that the iPhone would fit.

Confident of sorting something out.

Thanks and regards to all

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back