Can't sell van. Any ideas, please? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Last year I put the van with motorhome agent, but it didn't sell.
Now have it on EBay ( one scammer, nothing else) Gumtree ( someone offered me £4000, advertised at £7250, no other enquiries)
I just daren't travel away from home on my own, due to some health problems. The van is beautifully fitted out but just not getting used. 12 months MOT ( cost me £450 to get it through)

Any ideas anyone? The longer it stays on the drive, the more stressed I'm getting :(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Put an ad on this site and see what other funsters comment. May appeal to someone looking for a mh.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the van hasn't sold it may suggest that the price is too high
You could consider offering it for auction on EBay, with a low or no reserve.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How about autotrader?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Or at least post a link to the add.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Any ideas anyone? The longer it stays on the drive, the more stressed I'm getting :(
Holly,no ideas but my thoughts are this... If having it around is causing you stress then take whatever you are offered as long as the loss you suffer doesn't cause you more stress than having it there...and if you are able to walk away from that it will soon be forgotten...
Having it and not been able to use it brings it's own maintenance problems with additional costs...
Your other option is keeping it until you get nearer your asking price and by the sounds of it that could be a while as it appears to have been well advertised already...
Best of luck whatever you decide..
Andy.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Show us the ad ? Could have a go at rewriting it for you if it helps ?

If the van is as you describe it in good condition and in the right ballpark price wise it will sell .
Possibly just the way the ad presents.

Just trying to help not criticise !

Sorry to hear of you Ill health !

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Last year I put the van with motorhome agent, but it didn't sell. Now have it on EBay ( one scammer, nothing else) Gumtree ( someone offered me £4000, advertised at £7250, no other enquiries) I just daren't travel away from home on my own, due to some health problems. The van is beautifully fitted out but just not getting used. 12 months MOT ( cost me £450 to get it through) Any ideas anyone? The longer it stays on the drive, the more stressed I'm getting :(

As others have said put details or a link on here for a valuation.

@andy63 is spot on with his advice, you may not like the amount you are offered but losing the stress might be worth it

Good luck anyway

:)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wonder how much it would cost to fix the rear gear issue.

I think that it would help to have a photo showing the bed made up - it isn't easy for some people to imagine what the vehicle would look like when set up for a night.

Also, sales of campers may increase slightly this summer as people head over to France to watch the Euro football events (assuming that France gets its fuel issue sorted). If the price is right for the vehicle, demand will increase over the next couple of months.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Perhaps you should not have said "Sadly...Due to illness" buyers may sit back and wait for the price to drop,this is just an observation,not a criticism. A lot of people will see this as a stick to beat your price down with,so,chin up and lose that "Due to Illness bit. Best of LUCK.
Tea Bag.
PS. Jumping the Gun..Assuming that the RED one on Gumtree is yours......Sorry,if not.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Pauline sorry to be blunt but the photo and mileage along with the description make it sound like an ex postoffice van with a cheap home conversion. These days I only buy and sell motorhomes as a hobby, but experience says you are in the wrong price bracket. too expensive for a surfer or youngster and too cheap for a quality motorhome.
pictures sell every time and the one on the gumtree ad says nothing useful or that you are hiding something if anything. get loads of pictures including a side shot with the sliding door open showing the conversion

your ideal target is a young couple from say australia or south africa looking for a cost effective way of touring europe. saying its suited to a surfer or fisherman says its rough already and treating it roughly wont make it worse

please take this as constructive criticism and not an insult

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I am in the same position but with a van that I'm asking £39,950 for. The only enquiries have been scammers. I have it with Autotrader, on here, Caravan Club and Ebay and with Motorhome Agent. I had assumed that it was just slow and that there would be interest as the summer arrived but nothing yet. Pretty much have given up now as our holidays are due shortly which we are not going to give up. Don't want to Part Exchange as I want to buy abroad in Germany. Perhaps we'll have to keep it for a bit and try again later.

The thoughts of making the beds up is a good idea for the photos. Its a nuisance really as its a good van with new tyres, new hab batteries, maxed gross weight at 4,500 kgs with a payload of about 900 Kgs, battery master, mirror guards, alarm system, 2 TV's. extra had door lock etc. Its a 3 litre Auto Trail Savannah so that might be a downside on here and only 2 seat belts but sleeps four.

Hope your luck improves and perhaps some will then rub off on me!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Sorry for the OP BUT an article is only worth what someone will give you for it. There comes a time when you have to swallow deeply and take what you have been offered.

Personally I tend to avoid an item with a "minor fault" - if it is truly minor get it fixed, others may think as I do and walk away rather than take a chance.

?

Deleted User
Personally I tend to avoid an item with a "minor fault" - if it is truly minor get it fixed, others may think as I do and walk away rather than take a chance.

Bit of that ^^ but i may buy and offer the price to fix taken off your asking. Also when people spend money of a car/van/bike restoring or upgrading they expect the buyer to be footing the bill for this. To me you are selling an 06 Transit with your stamp on it. £5500 for a starting price on ebay and look at any higher as a bonus.

BTW any chance your health improving in a year or two so you can put moth balls in the van and pull it out at a later date.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Same here ... if it 'only needs a small fix' then fix it, otherwise you have to take what you are offered.. also , as decent as the conversion looks , its a 150000 van, and that kills it .. the base vehicle is worth £1200 tops, that has to be factored in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like others have said the mileage with the gearbox issue (probably only a linkage problem) would put most buyers off.
It helps to drop the add for a couple of weeks then relist, also go in at a higher price than you want then reduce it over a few weeks, people watching it will often phone once the price has dropped a couple of times.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thank you all very much for your advice. I will take your advice on board and drop the price.
That was the correct link to the Gumtree ad.
Many thanks for all your thoughts----- not offended in the least by any, just want to sell!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pity I am away at the moment, I would have offered to come round and take some better pictures for you. Not back until the end of July but if it hasn't sold by then just PM me. :)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
The ad has only been up for 9 days, 3 of those were the Bank Holiday weekend - a lot of people will have been away.
There are Facebook Groups that allow posting of private adverts, might be worth trying those ? Doesn't cost anything :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Pauline ... see if you can find a buy and sell site on Facebook in Glastonbury area ... people always looking for vans under ten thousand in that area. Good luck love.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
brilliant news, well done

PhilG